Author Topic: B3 Hex shroud out of solid 6061  (Read 3708 times)

B3 Hex shroud out of solid 6061
« on: May 13, 2007, 03:09:50 PM »
Well I had another stupid idea last week.  I got to looking at making a brake for my B3 out of hex stock.  After I got the material I got the not so bright idea that it would look really neat with a full shroud, like an old school Henry or something.  Of course the idea was daft as all I have running is my silly 3in1 as I have yet to get the 220 three phase going in the shop (long story in itself).  After explaining my dilema to my ever ready gal friday (she who must be obeyed) that I simply didn't have the travel on the machine she said "Oh I guess you can't do it".  

It was on then.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/huklbery/B3HexShroud

I think I should have a right arm like popeye after all the cranking I did.  

Cheers
Mark

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
RE: B3 Hex shroud out of solid 6061
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 10:56:24 PM »
Mark, it is ironic that you brought this up..:) I just tried the same thing last week, except it was a brake.. After drilling the hole and using a boring bar to set the final I/D, and it was all done... I did not like it... LOL.. So I just cut the O/D down to a round brake...:) Maybe I should take another try at it. It just did not look right to me with a round shroud.. :)

Way to go though.
Looks like you can do anything with your Lath/Mill

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 11:36:37 PM »
Very nice indeed, now for a hex cocking arm. ;} Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 03:32:01 AM »
Gene_SC - 5/14/2007  3:56 AM

Mark, it is ironic that you brought this up..:) I just tried the same thing last week, except it was a brake.. After drilling the hole and using a boring bar to set the final I/D, and it was all done... I did not like it... LOL.. So I just cut the O/D down to a round brake...:) Maybe I should take another try at it. It just did not look right to me with a round shroud.. :)

Way to go though.
Looks like you can do anything with your Lath/Mill

Gene

Actualy I had the same thought after looking at it and its why I didn't make a simple brake.  I figgured it would look funky rather than enhance the apperence of the B3.  The barrel though is all over the map in diameter so I need to take it apart again and emory the OD in spots.  With a cobbled wood steady rest and chucking the pre turned 1/2" barrel end I should be able to fit the barrel to the ID.  I did buy a 14.5mm chucking reamer to get closer to the actual OD *but* its only 8" long so would need to add a drill rod extension and fashion some sorta floating holder for it if I go that route as well.  

Despite their horrid reputation the 3in1's are very flexible for one off projects like this.  At near 450lbs and a large swing you can get very inovative.  As a mill though they are darn near useless and should be ignored.  As I'm starting to get into the hobby though not having my Van Norman Mill and 16" South Bend lathe running its starting to get flustrating.

Cheers
Mark

Offline JMG

• http://
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 09:33:53 AM »

Thats just too cool Mark. I am so envious of all you guys with machine tools I am dying over here lol.

John

Ok I shoot....maybe not well but I do shoot hehe, B26-2.177, X3-B3-2 .177, RWS 34 .177, QB78 Deluxe .177, CR 1322 Medalist
[img=../photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=610]

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 02:52:03 PM »
mark:
    How did you do the engraving on the rifle stocks? that is AWESOME...
                                                             JOHNin Ohi.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 04:27:59 PM »
Thats my girlfriends business, I ran a few B3's for friends for the holidays the dark stock was a reject I didn't give away.  Unfortunately I got bit by the AG bug myself in the process and ended up with an assortment of QB78's and B3's.  

We ran some test QB stocks awhile back and at some point we should go "live" offering engraving.

http://picasaweb.google.com/blondelazer/QB78StockRifleTest

I need to work on the checkering more, I think ours is much better than factory Crosman engraving/checkering I have on a Legacy 1000 and a Benjamin 392LE, but I don't think I can equal hand cut.   It may work out as a great "go by" though for hand checkering finish.  I may be too much of a perfectionist to offer checkering at all rather than deal with customers who don't understand the lasers limitations.  

Cheers
Mark

Re: B3 Hex shroud out of solid 6061
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 06:35:20 PM »
I would love something like that but with the hex twisted. Great work