Author Topic: Mendoza RM-600  (Read 25472 times)

Offline vinceb

• http://
It shouldn't need lubing that often...
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2007, 03:26:10 AM »
...unless you REALLY shoot it a lot. Smoke is from oil either burning or vaporizing. It isn't "because of the temperatures" as such. The temperatures have to act on something to cause the smoke.

Does the RM600 actually have an oil hole?

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: Mendoza RM-600
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2007, 05:14:53 AM »
I have never oiled any of my springers except the times they got Turbo Tuned By CDT. I am not aware of oiling a springer on a regular basis. I do know if one of my springers starts to smoke when fired there is a bad seal. I really do not thing there should be any oil in the barrel chamber at all. Even when I am not using my springers I put a moist cloth of Rim Oil through barrel to prevent any rust because I am not using them. But before I do use them I always run a couple clean patches through the barrel to remove all the oil resedue.

Just my two cents..:)

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline Tex

RE: Mendoza 600RM also smoke
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2007, 08:34:05 AM »
I once had a RM 600.  It is not a copy of the RWS 350M- not even close. The owner's manual says to put 2 to 3 drops of oil in the "oil hole" (yes it has one) every 500 pellets or so (not sure 500 is the exact number, but I'm fairly sure it is in the range, best I can remember).  This is intentional, to keep the velocity up.  To get the max velocity from this gun, you must add oil periodiacally, so the gun is designed to "diesel" to reach it's advertised velocity.   One of the problems with this concept is that as the oil depletes, the velocity drops, so the gun will not shoot at a consistent velocity and the overall performance will be affected.  The gun I had appeared to be very well made, but I did not keep it.  As has been said, the devil is in the details, and this little detail I did not know until after I received the gun (mail order) and read the directions.   I know one person that has the RM 600 and he likes it, but he says he does oil it periodically.  He has not commented on how it affects accuracy.  

I also, have a RM 377 (made by Mendoza) and it has the same directions.  It is very accurate up to (~40 yards), but I never oil it as I don't want the changing velocity problem (I did mess with the trigger a bit).  It clocks at a fairly consistent 635 f/s (avg) and I like the gun for a trunk gun.  I bought it on close-out for 37 bucks, so I'm not out much if it craters on me.  I believe it does have a leather seal, so at some point, I may need to put a drop of oil on the seal (of the appropiate type).

Would I buy another RM 600?  No, because you can get a much better gun (German quality) with a warranty for around the same price (RWS 94 - my absolute favorite, 93, or 34).  I bought a 94 for 158 bucks and a 93 for 109 bucks.  A 34 can be had for 167 bucks.  Of course, my "other" favorite RWS rifles (RWS 46, RWS 350M, and 300R) cost a bit more - and they are worth it, IMHO.  BTW, I have and  like the RWS 24 at around 535 f/s for 150 bucks - a tack driver.  

I also have a R-7 (my 2nd. one) which cost more than twice as much and is half as accurate as "several" of my RWS rifles.  My 93 and 46 will out shoot it all day long, every day.  I have bought and sold a "bunch" of air guns, so I am starting to "home-in" on what I personally like.  I'm down to about 20 now, and need to thin the herd a bit more - LOL.

Cheers,

Jim D'

Offline vinceb

Thanks for the info!!!
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2007, 10:02:53 AM »
I was THEEEEESSSSS >< CLOSE to buying an RM600, but I backed out when I talked to the guys at RWS to find out what the warranty was. That's when I found out that they stopped carrying it because it was so troublesome.... AND that I can by a refurb '48 from them for $220-something.

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2007, 11:58:53 AM »
Hey Jim

That was a great post. LOL, wish you had seen this thread before it got so long.. Thanks for your personal experience with the facts on the Mendoza rifles. I personally will keep my money n the tin cans in the back yard for another week or so..:) Yes and you are right about other guns being much better for same price. I to am learning what I like and what i don't like. Only thing is I get so attached to them.. lol

Anyway Jim, thanks a buch for your post.

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline Tex

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2007, 01:41:56 PM »
I certainly understand the attachment thing.  I NEED to get rid of some guns as I can't get around to shooting all of them, but some I just LOVE so much I don't want to be without them.   It's like being married! LOL.   Fortunately I live in the country and can shoot anytime I want to, so that does make it eaiser to shoot often.

Jim D'

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2007, 02:33:22 PM »
Ya know I've never sold one of my guns...not one.  I have however traded them away, but only to Joel at Airgunartisans.com, that way I can go visit them any time I want mostly.  I also only ever traded away guns that I know I will never shoot, but are just too nice to let sit in the closet collecting dust.  My B30 .22 was a beautiful rifle, but it also weighed as much as a Chevy Tahoe, and cocking it was like pulling railroad spikes out of stone with a pair of cheap pliers.  The other one I traded away was my beautiful custom 1322.  I really enjoyed building it, but I only built it for the enjoyment of building, I don't like pumpers, and didn't like shooting that gun the first time I took it out of the box.  I do keep a picture of that one in my album though, so I can look at it whenever.

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

RE: Thanks for the info!!!
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2007, 03:14:52 PM »
So would you buy a refurb 48 from them instead of a new one? Im looking for my second gun and a 48/52 is in the running next to the R9 Goldfinger all in .22

Offline Tex

That's a beauty
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2007, 08:28:26 AM »
If I had built that baby, I doubt I could part with it.  Good job!  I got rid of my pumpers too.  My favorite pistol is my Daisy 747.  Easy to cock and very accurate for short range plinking. It's not purdy, and kind of clunky, but man is it fun.

Jim D'

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2007, 08:53:56 AM »
Thanx, most of the work was the wood.  The rest of the stuff was pretty much "off the shelf" except for the valve mods and such.  I don't have a pumper unless you count my kids guns(Daisy 880's), and actually I realised the other day that I no longer have any pistols either, they all got turned into carbines like this one I built for my wife.  This is a Custom Shop 2300 pistol with a 2260 trigger group, and some other aftermarket stuff.  The picture below that is the top end of a 2260 with the trigger group from my original 2300 and some other aftermarket stuff as well...btw, this isn't a pistol, I have a stock for it mostly done, I just thought I'd slap those grips on it to see how it looked as a massive pistol.  Take care,

Dan

Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2007, 09:47:38 AM »
Yes the Mendoza RM600 has an actual oil hole. har. I do think it is more powerful than the RWS 350. Mine is a .177 and several phone book test say it is putting out 20.9 flt lb's at one meter and puts the Quest 1000 to shame. Of course these are all subjective opinions.

I will get it chrono'd and report back. We did do a side by side test with theRW48 .177 vs. .177 at the gun shop and it was more powerful shooting into Particleboard, lighter, easier to load but not as accurate. The rest is my humble opinion. The shop owner who is an air rifle nut was very impressed.

Best

David

Offline Black Mamba

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2007, 10:54:46 AM »
Easy there David............

No one is calling you out on this.   You may very well have a smokin' hot 600.  It just seems that the larger numbers of 600 owners (at least those I've read reviews/statements from) don't have as powerful a gun as you or have has quality issues.  There are a few sites that have chrono'ed info on the RWS 350 and from what I've seen your 600 is on par with them.  

An example:  http://www.straightshooters.com/ourtake/ottest350.html

I happen to have a 350 in .22 and have damn near 25ftlbs out the barrel with certain rounds. It also happens to be painfully accurate.  My B30 in .22  is currently on the way to Russ Sauer and most likely when I get it back it will be very near the same power level of the 350.  Very near indeed.

As you can see there is interest in the 600 by my cohorts it's just a concern with overall quality and lasting power that prevents the coffers from being opened.

I'm personally glad you chimed in about your 600 because I think too often people get caught up in "name brand" associativity and assumed quality vs. what's really out there.

This has been a good discussion so far and I'm sure it's changed some preconceived ideas.

:)
Lymph, v. To walk with a lisp.

Offline Tex

Pistols
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2007, 02:31:49 PM »
Nice!  I have a plain Jane 2240.  Guess I ought to "snaz" it up a bit, at least some custom grips and a better breach...and maybe a longer barrel and better trigger.  Ut-oh, I can see where this is going LOL.  I also have a Welby Hurricane and a couple of P3's, but I prefer the Daisy.  No work required.  Just shoot it.  I had a QB 78 rifle.  Should have kept it I guess, but for some reason, in rifles, I just prefer the springers.  

Cheers

Offline Tex

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2007, 02:57:06 PM »

Hi Dave,

If your rifle sounds like a .22 rim fire, it is likely dieseling, which is indicative of too much oil in the barrel or chamber, assuming the gun has the standard factory spring. I now always clean the barrel of a new springer before shooting as the first springer I bought years ago sounded like a .22 rim fire for the first couple of rounds.  Excessive oil does increase the velocity, but it CAN be dangerous, especially if you are using improper oil.  If you have cleaned the barrel and had it for awhile and it is still dieseling, there may be something wrong with the gun. Most springers will quit dieseling after a few dozen pellets and certainly by a hundred or so.  Be careful to not over oil as to much in the chamber could damage the gun.  I am surprised that the gun is shooting accurately with that kind of dieseling going on.  

BTW, I have a RWS 350M (.22) and a Quest 1000 (.17).  I have had the 350 for about a year and just recently picked up the Quest on a lark (69 bucks).  I have not yet clocked the Quest, but I'll bet anyone a Texas sized burrito that the 350 is more powerful by far and probably more accurate.  Neither of these guns dieseled after a dozen or so rounds, in fact, I have never had a springer diesel for long and I have owned more than a few.

Good luck,

Jim

May buy the RWS 350
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2007, 01:20:12 PM »

Due to the lack of enthusiasm for the Mendoza RM600-Magnum I may buy the RWS 350 in .22. Anyone have an alternate choice?

Don’t like the RWS side levers. Both recommend the Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 and
17101 AA  1in 1 Piece, b-square-17101" href="http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/B_SQUARE_Scope_Mount_17101_1in_p/b-square-17101.htm">B-SQUARE Scope Mount
17101 AA 1in 1 Piece
. Which I have on my magnum already. Thing is I'd like a dot scope but the Bushnell Banner has the adjusting elevationcrosshair with distance which is nice.

I'd like this purchase to be the best and last. Considering I started out with the whimpy Crossman 1000 Quest.

Buy the best the first time - - - or at least third time! lol

Dave