Author Topic: Gamo Whisper Reviews Summerized  (Read 42664 times)

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Gamo Whisper Reviews Summerized
« on: August 03, 2007, 12:16:03 PM »

Gamo Whisper Review.. (by Gene and Charlie)

The Whisper evaluation was done in basically three stages.

1- Out of the box..first impressions.
2- Pellet and accuracy review. (in three steps)
3- Mechanical (internal)review.

I’d like to thank Gene for his participation in doing the evaluation of the Gamo Whisper. Gene will also be doing the accuracy and pellet review in the next few days. The mechanical review will be the last and after it has a thousand or so shots through it, probably in a week or so.

Right out of the box, the new Gamo Whisper is impressive in both feel and looks. The first thing that you notice as you pick it up is how surprisingly light it is and much lighter than it would appear. It’s sleek looking even with the ambidextrous synthetic stock. You immediately become aware of the fluted bull barrel and large by comparison muzzle brake/sound suppressor and that it has raised iron sights mounted on the gun.

Let me make note here; the noise reduction device is in fact a form of a silencer incorporated into the muzzle brake that is in fact fixed, not removable and has been approved by the ATFB for Gamo production only. That being said, we on this forum will not refer to it as a “silencer” but as an “Integrated Noise Dampener” or IND”.

The stock is a bit different than most other Gamo stocks (it’s like the Gamo Sport) to date and the fore grip and cheek piece are well designed to accommodate most shooters. The pistol grip is of a size that will be appreciated by almost any shooter unless he had relatively small hands.

In the past, it seems that some of the rear adjustable sight on the Gamo’s had looseness in the adjustments and detents and would wear. The reason for that is most of them had plastic dials. The adjustable sight on the Whisper is very firm and they have a very positive locking detent in both the windage and elevation. That’s because all of the adjustable rear sight is made of steel with the exception of the fiber optics and mount.

As you pull it up into the shooting pose, you feel it fall comfortably into place in your shoulder… it just feels good with its large rubber butt plate seated. I suspected that it might feel a bit barrel heavy but not so. You pull it up, shoulder it and it just seems to snap into place.

Gene was the first to handle the gun and before he shot or even cocked it for the first time, his words were “I’m gitten’ me one of these” and “could I get him one”??? . Now everybody knows that Gene is not an “instinctive/impulsive” buyer…lol… Sorry Gene…not yet.

Our first step was to take a few measurements on the gun. The overall length is approx. 45 ½ inches. The COG (center of gravity) is + or – 1/8 four inchs in front of the trigger guard. Trigger pull length is 14 inches. The brake is 7 ½ inches long.

The weight of the gun was 6 lbs 3 ounces without any glass. As I stated earlier, it felt and is light.

The first thing we did was cocked the gun and looked down the shoot chute. It was like a mirror and the rifling was beautiful to say the least. I prepared to run a couple patches down through the barrel just to clean out any excess lubes that might be in the tube. Whoa….there’s a problem Charlie.

It’s very difficult to use a pull through in the Whisper because of the chambering in the silencer. It seems to have four chambers (I’ll determine that later) in it and unless your line is absolutely straight and stiff, it will catch the chamber edges as it tries to pass though and will get hung up. It makes no difference whether you go through the breech end or the muzzle end. The way that I resolved the issue was to cut off 7 inches of a 1/8 inch piece of dowel, took some heat shrink, coupled the dowel and pull through together, fed the dowel in and pulled the pull through far enough to grasp it and then pulled it through. A problem that I foresee is that if a patch ever comes off it the chamber area, it will probably be very difficult to extract. That said, be very careful here until something has been worked out. I do have a couple of ideas for a push through but we’ll cross that at another time.

One other point while we are at the barrel. It is going to be very difficult to crown the barrel on the Whisper but I don’t think that will be an issue because in all of the years and hundreds of Gamo’s rifles that I have worked on, I have seen only one or two crowns that have had to be dressed. Bad crowns on Gamo’s are extremely rare. I have seen a few crowns that have been damaged over the years, but because of the design, the crown in the Whisper are protected from any damage.

Another obvious thing that stands out with the breech open is the there is no seal in the yoke that we are so accustomed to seeing. The seal in the Whisper is built into the front of the action tube instead. Also, it is not a “high rise” seal, looks like a standard o-ring style and I would think be less susceptible to damage but we will see.

Now it was time to make some noise. I cocked the gun and set it on the bench for about 15 minutes while Gene and I had a cigarette. (Yeah… we both smoke) I don’t usually bother doing that because springs usually set the first time you cock them and retain most of the memory but I wanted it to be well set and holding.

The first few shots were out in the back yard getting a few pellets through it prior to the chrony process. As was expected, it has the infamous trigger pull issue that Gamo and all Gamo owners have come to know as well as some spring vibration and twang. This is quite common in all springer’s of course and there are solutions for that, but that being said, it was no worse that many others that have come through the shop and is inherent to the gun.

Now to the chrony. As per my usual procedure, we used 12 shots in each series. Then the high and low shot is removed and the remaindering 10 are used. Keep in mind that this is a brand new gun out of the box and until the barrel is seasoned a bit, the shots velocity is usually a bit loose. As the barrel seasons, it has a tendency to tighten up. Here is the way that it went.

Tomahawk 7.9? Gamo Hunters 7.9 gr Gamo ProMag 7.25 JSB Exacts 8.3 gr

962 992 933 778
967 1001 935 782
953 1000 950 787
967 991 933 816
959 987 932 789
973 990 958 814
955 988 936 790
969 983 936 785
982 981 943 828
954 988 938 810

Crosman Prem. HP 7.9 Raptors 5.4 gr

925 1182
917 1212
925 1193
930 1149
925 1145
930 1158
924 1143
923 1216
924 1186
926 1187

The velocity to me appears to be higher than expected using a standard weight pellet used by most airgun enthusiasts, especially the first two sets and probably should have shot the first two sets over again. The spread in velocity is a little wide in some cases but something that was expected. However, I expect when opened up to find that there has been a little excessive detonation caused by some seal damage.

Next I did some trigger pull testing and here are the results on 5 pulls.

4 lbs 6 ounces 4 lbs 7 ounces 4 lbs 6 ounces 4 lbs 7 ounces 4 lbs 7 ounces

Keep in mind that this is a new gun and trigger but by the same token, Gamo uses good quality steel in their trigger sear and intermediate lever as well as the piston, very hard and they do not wear much. In fact, I have never seen any internal trigger parts wear out in a Gamo.

Now about the noise suppression and the IND. The big difference that you will see is in the PBA type ammo that goes Super Sonic or Hyper Sonic (Gamo’s terminology). When shooting the Raptors, they all went Super Sonic. I have shot quite a few Raptors in the past and for the most part, they sound like a .22 long rifle when shot. The Whisper when shooting Raptors sound more like a .22 short instead of a .22 long rifle so there is in my view quite a difference in the report, a considerable difference. When they say a (52% noise reduction) with the IND, that is what they would be referring to and I would think it is probably pretty close.

As far as noise reduction in the mechanical action of the gun, there seems to be little or no reduction or difference, but that was not the intent. The only way to actually reduce the mechanical noise is through tuning and lubing.

The fit and finish is very good, it feels good, it looks good, it handles good and so far we see nothing negative about it. There are some that think nothing but wood stocks and the wood stocks of the past are great and have their place in the airgun history and will probably always be there. But the future is now, synthetics have come a long way and Gamo has led the way in airguns for the most part. In my opinion, this is the Gamo of the future, will be in the same arena as the CFX and perhaps surpass even that. When it hits the market, sales I’m sure will boom. Based on what we have seen, it’s a great gun at a fair opening price.

Ok…what did we see??

I gotta tell ya…and I think Gene will concur, the Gamo Whisper is the next generation airgun and has a very promising future. And finally… Gene has owned and owns many Guns and many Gamo’s are in his stable and it takes a lot to impress him any more. He’s impressed just as I was. He has the gun at his place now doing the pellet accuracy testing. In fact, he called me just a little while ago ranting and raving about how much he like that gun. I think the future owners of the Whisper will also.

Gamo Whisper - Part 1- (Step 1) (Pellet Accuracy & Handling) Open Sights (by Gene)

The first part of my review on the Gamo Whisper Pellet Accuracy and Handling will be based on shooting 4 different types of pellets. Gamo Hunter, Gamo Tomahawks, Beeman FTS, and RWS Superdomes, at a bench rest at 20 yards, using open sights. Part II will be strictly shooting with same pellets with the 3-9X40 scope that Gamo included with the Whisper as a combo package. Part III will be my overall conclusion on parts 1 and 2 with my own personal opinion of the Gamo Whisper.

Ok to start off with I came home from CDT’s shop early this afternoon with the Gamo Whisper with me. It was really to hot to shoot so I waited till late in the afternoon when the sun was to my back.

First I would like to say that the rear site on the Gamo Whisper looks great and is all metal except for the fiber optics and small holder. Also I would like to say that I am not an open sights shooter by no means and have used a scope 99 % of the time. The adjusting windage and elevation knobs are serrated steel as well. So I set up my target stand at exactly 20 yards out.

I started out with RWS Superdomes. I wanted to use them to sight in the iron sights and be able to show where the shot placement would be using the other pellets that I chose. My first shot was very low as you can see on the RWS target. I then started adjusting the metal wheel on top the sight to raise my POI.

As you can see I finally got it within a respectable range on the center target. I shot four groups of 10 pellets each at each bulls starting with the center bulls then going up to the upper left then center top and right top. I really do not need to explain the shots because you can determine how each type of pellet shoots its groups compared the each of the other target sets.

I would like to say that the Gamo Whisper has a definite spring twang and a heavy trigger. I am used to a smooth cocking and shooting action with a crispy trigger with less than 2lbs of pull. This gun weighs in at around 6.3lbs and is a dream to shoulder. I noticed right away how well balanced it was being able to stand and not feel the weight of the air rifle hanging in front of me. All the pellets that I used for testing, all were snug pushing into the bore. Just a couple loose ones out of over 160 pellets I shot this evening.

Gene

Gamo Whisper - Part II (step 2) Pellet Accuracy & Handling Scoped (by Gene)

Along with the new Gamo Whisper came a Gamo Scope, 3-9X12 variable. It also comes with a one piece rugged mount. On top of the Whisper's action is a very nice riser that is removable. I think these risers are a fantastic addition to the Gamo Whisper unlike the Gamo Shadow 1000 with just 3/8" dove tails cut into the top of the action. I mounted the scope which already came mounted from Gamo. I tightened all 4 Torx screws up and checked the stock Torx screws as well to see if all the shooting yesterday loosened anything up. Everything was snug. The mount has a pin which sets into a hole on top of the riser. That is another great innovation as well.

After I had the scope on I shouldered the Whisper and the eye piece set in the perfect position for me. I was wondering if it would be right for me or if I would have to readjust it. Luckily it worked out great. Unlike yesterday I could really see the target at 30 yards with the scope. But it was blurry for me until I took off my glasses. Never had that happen before with other scopes. As soon as I raised the Whisper up to my shoulder and laid it on the rest I could see very clearly without my glasses. I then adjusted the power between 5 and 6 which was perfectly clear and it was still steady. I got the RWS Superdomes out and loaded one up. This time I sighted in using the RWS Superdomes and afterwards, I pulled out a fresh target. So the test begins.

First RWS Superdomes, Gamo Hunters, Beeman FTS, and Gamo Tomahawks just like yesterdays order of shooting. As normal each brand of pellet took its own path but overall they all shot well. Everyone has to remember that this is a "Out OF The Box" new Gamo and it still has less than 600 pellets through it. Also I do not shoot FT and consider myself average for my age and eye sight. Also my right trigger finger and knuckle are sore from pulling on that heavy trigger. I am not used to pulling on a Gamo stock trigger. Also remember this is not about how bad or well I shoot but to determine consistency of different pellets used in the Out Of The Box Gamo Whisper. Below are the results of the (Pellet Accuracy & Handling) Scoped.

This will conclude any further shooting until after CDT and myself dissect the Gamo Whisper to see what changes have been made by Gamo and then after a Lube and Turbo Tune we will continue with more testing.. Gene

The Whisper TurboTune (by Charlie)

OK…so our next project was to tear it down and see what we’ve got. But before tearing it down and after having between 7-800 pellets though it we ran it across the chrony again except that this time we did only two different pellet tests prior to the tune. I used the Gamo Hunters (the pellet I have used as a baseline for years for all of the tunes that I do) as well as the Tomahawks. As I had expected, the velocity had dropped somewhat. The results were:

Gamo Hunters Gamo Tomahawks

946  928
940 931
943  924
951  919
938 925
932  930
949 938
936  942
947 929

Spread = 20 Spread = 22

These were just about what I expected and predicted them to Gene and I was pretty close although I did expect to see a wider spread. After the tune, I expected to see a bit further drop in velocity but at the same time, I expected the spread to close.

First thing we did was remove the stock. It is quite similar to the Gamo Sport stock and in fact may be the same. It also uses the Torx screws. And like the Gamo Sport, it has the tapered extension on the rear action that flows over the stock much like the Stutzen. It does give it a much smoother stream line effect. It is made of plastic though and if I remember correctly, the one on the Stutzen is cast. To remove this, you need to remove the trigger retaining lug and it slips right out. The cross pin does not need to be removed as the extension is slotted for them.

Another point of interest is that the bolt in the yoke is also a Torx shoulder bolt that can at least on this one be easily removed and/or the tension adjusted. It did not have the SteelLoc” that Gamo has used in the past and hopefully they are all like that. The side thrust washers are both made out of a synthetic material that seems to be perhaps nylon or possibly even Delrin. I know that some have been concerned about these wearing in the past on some of the other late production Gamo rifles but I don’t see it that way at all if they are properly lubed and not incorrectly adjusted.

The barrel lockup is of the crossbar design. That in my opinion is good.

As stated previously, the seal is in the front of the action tube and not in the breech yoke. It is similar in design and appearance to the standard Gamo breech seal but much smaller and has less rise extension on the face of the seal.

Disassembling the action is no different that most other Gamo’s. Internally they are pretty much the same although the tube does seem to be a bit thinner wall but I neglected to measure it although I did intend to. Old mans mind slipped…. again…

Gene and I worked this gun together and did a “normal” TurboTune” on it. Between the two of us, we accomplished it in about 2 ½ hours. Normally, by myself, it takes me about 3-3 ½ hours or more. We deburred the gun, honed and cross hatched the tube did a bit of piston work opened the trigger housing slot a bit, cleaned the barrel and associated parts, reworked the spring ends and prepped it for assembly.

The one thing that we did find and what I also expected was damage to the piston seal. It was fairly rough and nicked in several places and you could see that the face of the piston had blackened a bit more than usual due to detonation. That would explain the initial excessive velocity.

The spring that I used in this gun was a Maccari E-1500. I machined a Delrin guide for it and added .125 to the length. I did not alter the spring block. I also did not use a thrust washer in the piston of this gun. The factory tophat was the lightweight recessed tophat. I fitted a steel tophat to the spring and piston and added 11 Grams of weight to the tophat.

Next was the trigger housing. We cleaned the trigger assembly, removed the inner sharp stamping edges in the trigger housing and as well as the trigger housing mounting lugs. Then comes the trigger lubing and the GRT-III trigger blade installation.

Now we were ready for assembly. To me, lubing during the assembly process is vitally important. What is used, how much and where plays a significant role in the overall end result. As Gene can attest to, I use no less than six different lubes in every gun and in some, depending on the gun, even more. We assembled the gun using the lubing procedures that I use along the way.

The one thing that I did not do in assembling the gun is use LocTite on the yoke pivot bolt. Normally, I would LocTite this bolt and suggest that it be done using the Blue LocTite formula. However, I want to inspect the bushing and thrust washer after some extensive use to be sure about any excessive wear although I do not expect any. I dwelled on what lube to use here before deciding on Maccari’s clear tar. I have my reasons for selecting this lube but I may change that if there is a question about any wear.

I have come to the conclusion that the best approach to pulling a pull through when cleaning the barrel is to insert a drinking straw (the larger diameter ones like those used for milk shakes) into the IND and up to the muzzle and pull the patch through it and into the barrel. If the patch were to come of in the IND, it might be very hard to extract. Hasn’t happened yet so….who knows…

We finished assembling the gun and the first thing I always do when finishing a gun is cock it and lay it in the bench for a few minutes. The first time you crank it over is a trip…lol… And as usual, if Gene is working with me, he is the first to shot any tuned gun. Well after a few minutes, he grabs the gun and a pellet and out the back door he goes. I never go with him…lol… I heard him shoot the Whisper and he comes back through the door with a big grin on his face saying “I can’t believe it…. I just can’t believe it”.

Well we popped a number of pellets through it and set about doing the post tune chrony. Here’s how it went and was just kind of what I would have expected.

932 903
935 908
934 895
925 899
927 899
933 902
928 896
931 904
929 900
926 897

Spread = 10 Spread = 13

The trigger pull is now 1 lb 8 ounces

Keep in mind, this is a fresh gun and the seal has not been seated and the barrel has not been seasoned so I do expect to see the numbers come up about 2-5% later. I did expect to see the Gamo pellets to be a little less but that’s ok. It does seem a bit strange the Tomahawks drop a bit more also.

Gene then took the gun home again for the final testing for accuracy. He will provide that info in a follow-up below. How ever, here are the numbers after he shot an additional 250-300 shots through the gun and did his thing for accuracy.

929 908
925 901
926 912
923 909
930 910
923 896
922 912
925 907
920 912
921 909

Avg.= 924 Avg.= 907
Spread = 9 Spread = 13

I don’t have a problem with these numbers at all and I would think that they will still go up another 10-20 or so fps over time. But as everybody knows, I tune strictly for consistency and accuracy.

Final accuracy results. (By Gene)

To start off with the overall handling of the Gamo Whisper in my opinion is better than any of my previous Gamo Air Rifles. I do have quite a few of them and the Gamo Whisper is the best balanced overall. For those of you who like heavy air rifles will be missing out on a very well designed air rifle in the Gamo Whisper. For those of you who like a well balanced lite weight magnum that shoots very consistently will reek the benefits of the Gamo Whisper.

This particular Gamo Whisper that Bob received from Gamo to test had spring noise and was, I would say about average on the cocking follow through. Rough but not metallic rough. The stock can be used by left and right handed shooters. The piece that comes off the back of the action blends into the top fore stock. Very nice change because it gives the Gamo Whisper a sleeker and smoother look. The sites are exactly the same as the CFX iron sites front and rear. The checkering has changed to a finer grit of roughness but very nice to grip. The barrel of course is incased in very hard plastic laminant, I think Bob will reflect some on this. The rifling is superior to any Gamo air rifle I have seen to date, Of course the Whisper Moderator controls the bark of the pellets exiting the muzzle under 1100 fps quite well.

So the over all Handling of the Gamo Whisper is better than any Gamo I have shot to this date. It is fun to shoot easy to shoulder and without a doubt in my opinion an excellent hunting and target air rifle.

Now for the Accuracy.. Well I started off with iron sights and then graduated to the Gamo Scope that came with the package. There were four separate targets used with four type of pellets. RWS Superdomes. Gamo Hunters, Beeman FTS, and Gamo Tomahawks. These are generally the pellets that most all my Gamo's like. The same series of targets and pellets were used on the second testing with the Gamo scope.

Then Bob and I dissected the Gamo Whisper and gave it a Turbo Tune and GRT-III trigger. Now I took the Gamo Whisper home after we ran it through the chrony. This morning I got up early and with no wind or sun I set up the first target which I used to site in another scope that I took off one of my S1K's. It had a Barska 4-12X40 AO scope and a medium Accushot mount. After I got the scope and Gamo Whisper hitting the center of each bullseye I brought out a new target for the final Accuracy test. And if you have been following the targets in my previous part 1 and 2 reviews you will see the outcome of what to expect out of a Gamo Whisper after some TLC. Also you must realize that this air rifle has less than 300 pellets through since the TurboTune, and maybe roughly 600 pellets prior to that.

My overall opinion of the Accuracy of the Gamo Whisper is excellent. It reacts to tuning like a race car. Typically like all air rifles it likes certain pellets best for shooting for accuracy. And of course as Bob will tell you it will spit pellets out at different feet per second depending on the brand, weight and type of pellet used. In my opinion the Gamo Whisper is a fantastic target shooter at 30 yards and I am positive that with the right pellet weight, pellet type and brand, it will make for an excellent hunting rifle as well.

Here is the final target set which is just one target with 7 bulls. I chose the pellet that I felt that the Gamo Whisper would do best with and they were the RWS Superdomes 8.3gr. I was just going to shoot 4 target bulls like the other reviews but I got carried away so take a look and judge for yourselves at the final results after a bit of TLC and the right pellet. 7 bulls, 10 shots per bull, scoped at a bench with rest and a measured 30 yards distance from end of barrel.
Gene

I’d like to make a point here. Gene is big, he’s ugly, he’s got grey hair, wears glasses (when he can find them), and he’s funny and just an all around great guy. Then on top of all that, he is a great target shooter. If the gun is capable and you stuff it into those clubs he calls hands, he’ll make it talk. I can’t convince him that he is good… but Gene… you are a very good shooter. I wish I was just half as good as you. Just look at the targets below.

OK…. Let’s summarize this whole thing.

I think that the first thing to point out is that no two guns are the same and with the exact same things done to them will not produce the same results. The Whisper will be no different. I can say one thing though and that is this is a good gun in my opinion. As I have stated in the past, I feel that nearly all of the Gamo rifles are a diamond in the rough. If the time is taken and the right things done, they can be made to shoot as well as just about any $500-$600 and even more dollar gun. Of course, a lot depends on the person behind the trigger also and that plays a big part in it and why Gene did all of the field work. Thanks Gene.

The gun feels good though a bit twangy out of the box. Not unusual for most low end to mid range springer’s. It also looks good but some may not particularly like the bulbous front end. It’s light and handles and shoulders well. The velocity is good out of the box it would appear and is pretty accurate. The Whisper does have much in common with the Sport but it also has it’s differences.

The Whisper does tune well and the results, if tuned properly, will make it into both a great target gun as well as a super hunter. It will be hard to beat and if you own one, you will probably keep it for a good long while. Would I buy one? You bet. Would Gene buy one…lol… He already has one on order. Should you buy one? Well that’s up to you but don’t buy one cuz I said so. I do think that if you do though, you will like it. But at the same time, it’s still a Gamo with some twang and vibration and the infamous dreaded trigger but it’s nothing that we haven’t overcome before.

Thanks to Gene for helping with this testing and his contribution to this review. I would not have been able to do it with out him.

I’d also like to take the time to thank the folks at El Gamo and Gamo USA. They have been good to me and it has been a pleasure to work with them. I’d like to also thank them for providing me with this gun and the opportunity to get into it. They sell good products for the money and they do stand behind them. That’s one of the reasons that they have become what they are.

Thanks folks.

Charlie aka: Bob

THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline leftcoast1

• http://
RE: Gamo Whisper Reviews Summerized
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 12:23:21 PM »
Bravo to both of you!!!! :) Damn I just love this place. I don't see any other forums that take the time to do this type of testing. Probably has something to do with the Name on the gun what Idiots. I have to stop reading all these post or I won't make rent next month hehe :p. Again guys well done thanks for an excellent review.

Jason
Jason
A couple of Springers nothin to get excited about.

Offline SDale

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 03:16:41 PM »
Right on! Great Review!!!

Quick tip on Cleaning... I'm not sure what the diameter of the Exit Hole is on the suppressor, but if you cut a length of soda straw and stuff it down into the suppressor you should be able to use a pull through with no problem.

Offline Gene_SC

Re: Gamo Whisper Reviews Summerized
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 08:17:29 PM »
Yes we were testing the straw thingy after all our test were done. It seems to be the safest way to do a pull through. Another quick tip is to not try and shoot cleaning pellets through it...:) I would think one would get a Hair Ball build up in the baffels..:)

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline CharlieDaTuna

• http://www.charliedatuna.com
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 09:28:05 AM »
Yes, the straw is in my opinion the best approach and why it was included in the article. And Gene is right about cleaning pellets. I don't think it is a good a idea personally and  I don't think I would use them in anything. To me they just are a waste of money.
Bob  aka:  CharlieDaTuna
Co-founder of the GTA

HOME OF THE GRT-III TRIGGER

Home of the NPSS-NP Triggers:  
            http://charliedatuna.com/NPSS.htm

E-Mail:  CDT22@Verizon.net

Benji-342 .177 /Brazilian Winchester 800 .22 /Gamo Cadet .177 /Gamo Shadowmatic .177 /Gamo 440 .22 /Gamo Royal .22 /Gamo Whisper .177 /Gamo SK-1 .20 /B-20 .177 /TF-99 .177 /QB-78 .177 /QB-78t .22 /QB-78-(CD) .22 /QB-78-(CJ) .22/QB-78D .22 /Crosman 2240 .22 /Cros 150 .177 /Crosman Back Packer .22 ?Crosman AS 2250 .22 /Daisy Mod 93 .177 /Marksman 2004 .177 /GS 35 .177 /FWB-124 .177 /Custom Marauder .22 /Custom Disco .177

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 02:07:54 PM »
Well, half a year later, this review just sold another Whisper... and trigger upgrade.  :)

Offline flaboy

• GTA Donations
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 01:31:05 PM »
yep,this had a lot to do with one following me home!   :-)

Offline gunsup0331

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 12:29:12 PM »
welcome to GTA!! a great place to be

Offline DanXV7

• GTA Donations
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 03:28:32 AM »
Hi all, has anyone looked at the Whisper in .22 with the gas "spring" replacement? I am looking for a quiet .22 air gun to take out the tree rats that are moving into my attic. I have a Crossman Storm XT  .177 but it makes so much noise it attracts the attention of the neighbors.

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 03:57:34 AM »
Dan I do not think anyone is selling the Gamo Whisper .22 in an Air Venturi Ram Air gas spring version. There may be a good reason for that. You could buy the gas ram from Pyramid and do the mod yourself. Another thing is even though Gamo advertises 52 percent reduction in noise it only comes out to be 2 decibles lower if you calculate it.. Adding a gas ram really should not lower the report any more. Best of luck

Gene

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline DanXV7

• GTA Donations
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 06:12:56 AM »
Gene, Pyramyd is selling a .22 whisper with the gas spring for $350.00  http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=1509
Does the gas spring lessen the sound of the gun more and cut on the recoil when fired?
Is it dependable?

Thanks,
Dan

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 11:33:59 AM »
I think the answer would be.... You would here less of the action noise but I do not think the report would change. You will still feel some recoil but I really do not know that for sure because I have never shot one. DaveD could probably answer your question in more detail. He has owned a CFX which he installed a gas ram early on last year.

Gene

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline dave2288

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 08:37:58 AM »
i think if you're gonna go with a gas ram, go with a theoben from dave slade...the quality and consistancy from product to product is just mch better.  personally, i like a good tuned springer instead of a gas ram...but thats just me...it also makes the internals quiet, and really improves the gun...why do you want so much power for the attic though?  i would go with a muilti-pump gun, or co2, so you don't have to worry about the pellets doing damage to your home.

hey gene, do you tune the recon, and nitro?  if so, one of these might be something to look at for your problem...

Dave
Dave

g1 extreme(turbo tuned cdt trigger, choker muzzle break and fix hinge), powerline 1000s(lube tuned...soon to get a makeover), benjamin ss .22 tuned and shortened, patriot .25(british)

Offline Marisol

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 10:46:46 AM »
Hi all.  I'm new here.  :)  Can anyone tell me how to remove the action from the Whisper's stock to install the GRT-III trigger?  I removed the 2 visible screws and the trigger guard and nothing happened.  Are there hidden screws under the little pad in front of the trigger?  I don't want to pry it open if it's not meant to be opened.  Thanks!

Offline Viper

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 12:03:06 PM »
Gene,
Have you ever been asked to do a tune on one of these that had the gas venturi spring installed? I know the conventional spring would be missing but I know you tune alot besides just the spring.
I think government is a necessary evil, like, say, motion-picture agents.
- John Wayne

Gamo Viper W/Leapers 3-9X40, GTR III, soundproofed stock. Need Turbo-Tune:(