Author Topic: How I got back into airgunning...  (Read 2665 times)

How I got back into airgunning...
« on: September 05, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
Here you go folks.. just a quick story about how I ended up getting my quest 1000x.

I got my first airgun when I was ~13 after I somehow convinced my father to drive me to the store.  paid for it myself.  It was some sort of a Chinese made pellet gun, .177 caliber.  
Had a great old time.. back then a bunch of us kids used to walk around town shooting pidgins, sparrows, crows with no worries.  Imagine doing that these days.
Did I do some crazy stuff with that thing... used to put motor oil in the barrel to make it smoke after shooting a pellet!  back then I used to think it smoked because of the friction between the pellet and the barrel.  Who knew about dieseling!
Used to put in plastic caps (from cap guns) in front of the pellet.  made a nice pop when it hit something.

Anyways, we ended up moving to another city and sold most of our stuff.  my rifle was either sold off or given away.  In the following years I had a change of mind.  decided not to do any more shooting of  animals and stick with targets.

Years and years went by until the day I bought a house.  Ahh... the joys of home ownership.

But then.. there were the questions which went unanswered ..:  
What happened to the other half of bird house, why is there a hole in the trash can, where do I buy a new trash can, why is there a hole in my new trash can, where do I get another trash can, why do trash can prices keep going up every week, why do I have to pay 150$ to buy an outside storage shed to store the new trash cans (that have holes), who the $%xX chewed the chimney flashing, why is there a hole in the 150$ storage shed, ...

One day, in the midst of thunder and lightning . came down the answer in a booming voice. (or was it the wife?) ...  
T R E E   R A T S.... how can such a small fuzzy animal cause so much damage...

I had had it ....  

At first, I banged on the window, but they just stared
I chased them... but they still chewed
I bought a soft air and shot .12g BBs, but they laughed and chattered
I bought a sling shot and shot steel balls (unsuccessfully I must add), but they sqeeked and chewed more

and then.. when finally all the remorse had evaporated from my blood (and a much money from my wallet) I took my teenhood memories down to walmart I got me  a quest.  Fairly impressive, build quality, nice stock, nice barrel, good feel, nice scope, and enough power to shoot a .177 pellet through both sides of a soup can without even moving it.

Sighted in the scope and it was time for ...

less chatter ...
less chewing ...
lasting bird feeders ... and...

signing up for GTA!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Offline dw33

• http://
RE: How I got back into airgunning...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 02:20:48 PM »
I enjoyed reading your post.  Now it is time to post some pics in the hunting section, lol.

Offline Big_Bill

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 02:36:46 PM »

I think we all have stories concerning the TreeRat, and there destructive nature. Even the City dwellers have squirrels, with and without fur on there tails !

We will all be looking for your posts in the Hunting Gate, please add photos, we all love photos !!! hehe...he

Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 02:49:38 PM »
Yes great story :) Their life spand shortens quickly when they enter my yard. };) Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline Rixtrix

Re: How I got back into airgunning...
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 05:34:24 PM »
Welcome to GTA. Great story. really enjoyed it. This is a pic friendly place. Please share your hunting conQuests, hahaha.

Ric G
Daisy Model 25 BB gun, 45 years young and still shooting-    BSA Ultra .177, RFM Muzzlebrake, Bushnell Elite 4200 6x24-40 AO Mildot scope,  SportsMatch high rings)-    Gamo Shadow 1000, GRT-lll trigger, AirGunToyz Muzzle Brake, Centerpoint 4-16x40 AO IR mildot,Accushot Med. One Piece Mount, JM Tarantula spring and seal, polished internals, sleeved guide and tophat,self-tuned with CDT advice, CPL, JSB Exact or Predator pellets

Offline leftcoast1

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 12:53:23 AM »
Now to make the gun even more of a joy to shoot stroll on over to CDT website and pick up one of his triggers for the Quest. Best 32 dollars ever spent.
Jason
A couple of Springers nothin to get excited about.

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 02:35:39 PM »
You ROCK...

Offline USNCop

Mmmm, yes I see
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 03:56:09 PM »
RJS your therapy is coming right along.
As Leftcoast stated, you need a CDT trigger and also a tune for that bad mammer jammer.

I started out much the same way, retired my old vintage 1984 Sheridan and lived in apartments for 10 years.
Shot it occasionally when I could.
Then in 1998 we bought our first house and what do ya know?
The Sheridan guarded the perimeter until I started finding these darned AG forums!
Next thing ya know,  I've got a QB57.  Then a nice gentleman sells me his B26.  Then I start poking around on the Crosman Forum
and I get the hankerin' for another 1377 like I used to have.

Sheesh, I need a doctor! :o
QB57 .177, BAM B26 .177, BAM B26 .22

RE: Mmmm, yes I see
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 05:01:02 AM »
USNCop - 9/7/2007  11:56 PM

...Then I start poking around on the Crosman Forum
and I get the hankerin' for another 1377 like I used to have.

Sheesh, I need a doctor! :o

Ummmm, this is the doctor, and my prescription is take one 1377 before bedtime and shoot before every meal.

;~D

Bryan (who ain't really a doctor ;~)