Author Topic: Is it Love at first sight... (Crosman Sierra/Remington Summit)  (Read 15046 times)

Offline vinceb

• http://
Is it Love at first sight... (Crosman Sierra/Remington Summit)
« on: January 13, 2007, 04:15:11 PM »
...or is it "All dressed up and no place to go?"

Actually, it's a little of both.

I've been itchin' a bit because it's been WEEKS since my last airgun purchase. Since I still have some airgun bucks lying around, I decided to take a look at the 2 Crosman "Walmart Specials" - the $125 G1 Extreme (Phantom) and the $150 Sierra (Summit). Both come with scopes and decent scope mounts, but are Quests underneath. Which might not be too bad, because a properly made Quest is a very palatable rifle.

In any event, I finally got to handle a gun with the Phantom-style stock, and yes, it's really nice to shoulder. But the G1 didn't have open sights on it (I HATE it when that happens!), so I decided to give the Sierra a "shot". They didn't have one open that I could look at, so I had to buy it with Walmart's generous return policy as a contingency plan.

As  side note - the Walmart in Deleware would not sell me (a NJ resident) any air rifle until they saw my Firearms Purchaser ID card. That's a new one on me. But anyway, back to our main story...

When I finally got the box open, I momentarily thought I was looking at a plastic stock! But no, it is wood, alright - with a thick, high-gloss finish on it. Looks like it oughta be pretty durable. The checkering on the forearm and the grip is nicely done, comparatively speaking the wood on my Beeman S1 is a joke.

And then I shouldered it.

Now, the stock that has always felt the best to me is the Gamo Shadow. It's so easy and natural to pick up and point that it's become sort of my benchmark. Well, I can't quite describe why, but this thing felt SOOO GOOOD in my hands that the Shadow, in comparison, felt like a 2x4. Well, maybe not that bad. But I definitely now have a new benchmark!

Originally, I had sorta not even planned on shooting the gun... I really got it just to see what it looked like. But after a day of just picking it up and handling it, I started to give in. The 3-9x40 AO scope also made a real nice impression (even though I'm not a big scope fan) - solidly built, smooth working, nice and clear. Finally, I popped the trigger lock off and took it to my indoor 10-yard "range".

The first couple of shots - surprise, surprise - rang my ears about as bad as a .22 short. I REALLY should've had hearing protection on! This didn't last long, and a put a couple dozen cheap pellets through it to clear out the worst of the gunk.

And THEN I actually aimed at something, and....  OINK!

With the sight sucked ALL THE WAY to the left, it still shoots right about 1". The rear sight is still the same flimsy piece o' junk that is on the Quest (the original B19 sight is built like a tank in comparison), and the windage wheel still has the nasty habit of hitting the stock when you cock it - if the elevation is set too high. And at 30 feet, the elevation has to be set too high. WHY they can't make the cutouts in the stock a little bigger I'll never know...

But anyway - OK, I got a bad one. And there's no reason for panning the rifle because of one dog. No idea why it shoots so far off, but it has to go back, this is not anything that a "tune" would fix. For what it's worth, the gun chronied about 890 with CPL's, which is nothing to complain about.

But I don't think I'm getting another one - I had been hoping that maybe Crosman had improved a few things for their "fancy dress" Quests, but apparently not. Shooting the rifle kinda brought me back to reality on that score. I already have a Quest and a B19 in the closet - and with all my Gamo's, I really ought to diversify a bit more.

But I can tell you this - I'll be pestering Crosman until this stock becomes available as a replacement part! I have a Quest and a B19 that I'd love to put these on.

Still, though - even as I write this I'm tempted to go for an exchange. And there's no reason not to rule out this rifle if you're looking for a Quest or Gamo type of gun. Gamo's tend to run about $50 or so higher, and for that you get better build quality - most of the time - but no open sights (even cheap ones) on many models. But a decent Sierra should still be a decent shooter, and if you take a normal Quest and add on the mount and scope that this comes with you're at or above the Sierra's price, and you still don't have the better stock.

But, as always, it's always better to get a high-risk gun locally so that it is easier to return if something is wrong with it. Like mine.

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: Is it Love at first sight... (Crosman Sierra/Remington Summit)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 01:53:09 AM »
Hey Vince

Great review... One thing I notice with you is that you have a very objective view on all these air guns you checkout or buy. If there is something not quite right you put in words.:) Gives others an edge and tends to make us all think and ask questions...:)

Thanks

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline plateshooter

RE: Is it Love at first sight... (Crosman Sierra/Remington Summit)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 11:10:03 PM »
Vince, When I bought my Phantom, I had the same problem with the open sights.  Shot way off to one side, well out of the range of adjustment.  I was about ready to dump the thing but thought I would try the scope first.  The scope zeroed within 5 shots.  Mine is very accurate for a 100 buck rifle, and I have no problems wacking my 2" swingers at 35 yards.  I don't have a chrony yet, but the phantom is way faster than any of my other air rifles including the pneumatics.  I have been shooting firearms alot for the last 45 years, and I still can't figure out why the scope zeros close to the center of its range, and the open sights would not, but hey, I'm not complaining.  The gun works great for me.(with the scope)
22 CFX, 22 Quest, 177 Phantom, 177 QB18, 177 Gamo 440 Hunter, 177 Gamo Delta, 177 B3, 22 TF97, 1377 Crosman, P3 Beeman pistol, 140 Crosman pumper early 60\'s, 317 Benjamin pumper from the early 60\'s

Offline vinceb

My Quest doesn't have the same problem...
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 07:53:22 AM »
and it IS a legitimate defect, and based on that I returned the rifle.

Besides, the windage wheel still hit the stock when cocking it...

I DID find out that Crosman sells the Remmington Summit/Sierra stock as a replacement part (RW1K77-029), and as soon as they get them in I'm planning to order 2 . One for my B19 and one for my Quest - since they both have cracks anyway.

Offline plateshooter

RE: My Quest doesn't have the same problem...
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 09:31:08 AM »
Copy that on the defect, I ordered some parts from Crosman today for the first time.  Really nice folks there.
Prices are reasonable, and 4 buck flat rate shipping is hard to beat.  I have a Quest 800X on back order from Bass Pro Shop.  I hope the open sights will zero on that gun.  They said they expect them in at the end of January.  With that model being discontinued, I hope they are right.
22 CFX, 22 Quest, 177 Phantom, 177 QB18, 177 Gamo 440 Hunter, 177 Gamo Delta, 177 B3, 22 TF97, 1377 Crosman, P3 Beeman pistol, 140 Crosman pumper early 60\'s, 317 Benjamin pumper from the early 60\'s

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 09:18:19 AM »
I purchased one of the Walmart G1 pellet guns, I found ny scope a little touchy, I had to work with it to get it zeroed in like I wanted it, but since I made the last adjustment "12 clicks up" I can't be made happier. I noticed the same thing you did when I first shot my gun. I was sure I had purchased a gun I couldn't use in my neighborhood. OUCH! Sounded like a 22 rifle, I knew it would generate calls of complaint to the sherriff. But like you this settled down. With a drop of oil in the breech it can be made to be loud again. I was very surprised with the power of my gun. In my neighbor hood you have to be very careful about back stops. It is far too powerful to just shoot in any direction. To date I have relieved the tree rat population of 18 tree rats.  This took about 2 weeks. Sometimes 3 a day. I have found the last 3 shots I have made with my gun it produced 3 tree rats. Each shot was at 80 feet, and either the shot immediately knocked the rat off the limb, or the rat would run about 20 feet and drop to the ground. By the time I walked over to the squirell and picked it up it was dead. One shot one kill. However it troubles me when I see the pellet exited the rat and I'm left wondering where the pellet went. I am very kappy with my gun, for crying out loud what can you ask for, for only $125.00 I'm tickeled to death.  Thanks for the oppertunity to post my thoughts. Mike Dill

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 09:57:35 AM »
I bought a Remington Summit at big 5 for about $170 on sale. Again, out of the box, I was really impressed and excited to try this fine looking piece of equipment.  It looked really nice, great 3-9x40 scope, felt correct and well balanced when shouldered.  Then I fired it... Sounding like a .22 is an understatement, it is louder. That did settle down a little after a couple hundred rounds, but the accuracy was bad, really bad. I would shoot a group of five at 15 yards, in a 1" group, which was ok with me, then the next five would go an inch or two high, then the next would be off to the right, then down, then... I tried Crossmen, RWS, JSB, and even Daisy pellets.  None really did the trick.  I just could not shoot a consistent tight group, at only 15 yards.

So I was finally frustrated, and returned it. But I was still excited about getting into air gunning, this really being the first time in 15 years after my Crossmen pump-co2 finally wore out. I then tried a RWS 34 .22 cal, my friend let me borrow.  It was much quieter, and very accurate.  But alas, I was talked into a R9 Goldfinger by a fellow airgun enthusiast.  WOW, now we are talking.  I cannot stop thinking about shooting, it is a pleasure to hold and shoot.  Still in break in, but loving it so far. Bit I fear it is a little too big and powerful for my suburban, maybe urban, codno backyard.  So I will be on the lookout for a quiet and accurate backyard shooter. Maybe a Hammerli Quick, or Gamo Delta, or...

Offline longislandhunter

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 01:20:24 PM »
Welcome to the forums Mike,,,, congrats on the R-9 Goldfinger,,, I have 2 of em, .177 and .22 and they are the pride of my air gun collection.   I have no doubt that Goldfinger will be the first of many rifles,,,, this air gun shooting is definitely addictive.  

Again, welcome to the forum,,, will be looking forward to your future posts.  

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 06:47:04 PM »

A Big Welcome Mike. Try the HW 30 air rifle.. :) it is quieter than the R-9 :)

Gene

THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 09:55:24 PM »
I will recount my brief (thankfully) experience with the Crosman Sierra Pro later.
But, suffice it to say, I was thoroughly underwhelmed.
Thank goodness Wally World took it back.
 :0

Offline nyairman

• http://www.totallygraphic.org
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 11:43:38 AM »
Hey Vince, as usual a great review from you. I too bought a Sierra Pro from Wally World after the clerk took one out of the box and handed it to me. Wow...I too could not believe how this gun felt in my hands and shouldered better than almost any other gun I have ever held in my hands. But like your gun, mine had problems as well.

Loved the scope but barrell droop was so bad, I could not sight it in on paper at 15yds. :0 . I shimmed the rear of the scope and I was able to hit paper but could not achieve good grouping within a reasonable amount of shots through it. It was however a powerhouse. A true tack driver less the accuracy. As our 1000th member was approaching I sent the gun to CDT hoping he could get the gun to behave somewhat. He did! At that point the "new Tuned and Triggered"  rifle was waiting for #1000.

Now that gun is in the hands of a lucky guy. Unfortunately, that lucky guy has been unable to log on to GTA to tell us how this revived rifle is doing as far as I know. If anybody is looking at this model rifle, make sure a replacement policy is available. If not....move on.

Greg
Do not ever forget 9-11-01

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 03:47:29 PM »
Okay, my thoughts and past experience earlier with the Crosman Sierra Pro.
It turns that the Sierra Pro is available exclusively at Wal-Mart, while its non iron sighted counterpart, the Remington Summit, is available everywhere else.
My first thought was that, yes the stock looked pretty nice, and the rest of the rifle, especially the scope, looked fine.
Anyway, I did what I have always done when scoping a rifle, that is take my bottle of pure acetone to the scope mount and rings, then degreased the entire assembly.
Then I degreased the scope tube and the mount rails on the rifle itself.
I carefully slid the one piece scope mount onto the rails, aligned the scope stop pin with its mating vertical hole in the receiver, then firmly screwed the stop pin down until it met resistance.
Of course, I mounted the Centerpoint 3-9x40 scope in the rings, snugging all degreased screws down firmly.
I only say this so no one will think that I allowed things to be mounted loosely.
I then took it out to the range and attempted to sight it in.
Well, somewhere around 100 shots later, I finally managed to get it within two inches of my aim point @ 25 yards.
Yes, at least 100 shots!
I never took even 20 shots to get rimfires and centerfires right on the money before, sheesh.
Okay, another 50 or so shots later, and I had it striking the aim point to my satisfaction.
I figured now was the time to shoot groups.
Nope.
The first 10 shots would fall reasonably close to my POA, then they started to roam all over the paper.
WTF! I thought I was shooting groups with an air RIFLE, not patterning a SHOTGUN!
The groups progressively opened up to somewhere around six inches, so I readjusted the w/e until it was again somewhere near POA, again needing about 50 shots to get there.
Again, in approximately another 10 shots, the pellets were doing shotgun patterns.
Okay, something is definitely wrong here, so I checked the scope and mounts, including taking a screwdriver to all screws and attempting to snug them down, but they were all tight and wouldn't go in more than they already were.
So, I pulled the stock screws out completely, degreased the screw holes and screws themselves, applied the grand old blue Loc-Tite, then put the barreled action back in its stock with the Loc-Tited screws, then left the thing to cure overnight.
Well, I am sad to say that nothing changed, and, yes I even checked for hold sensitivity by using what many have come to call the "artillery hold" that most springers require in order to get decent groups.
Nope, something was just horribly wrong, and I don't understand why I should have to take a $150 air rifle to someone to tune for another $150 just to get it to shoot within a minute of barn door!
I had had enough, so I boxed up the whole thing, grabbed the receipt, then took off to Wal-Mart.
Unfortunately, the customer service girl was clueless and tried to tell me that firearms are not returnable.
I pointed out that airguns are most definitely NOT firearms, at which point clueless called the store manager, who confirmed to her that I was indeed right.
Thank goodness I was able to rid myself of that turkey!
So, I took my return money, added another $50, then placed an order with Pyramyd Air for a Gamo CFX, and all my troubles were over.
I now easily stack five Beeman Ram Jets inside 0.4" at 25 yards, and I wonder why I should EVER trust a Chinese manufactured airgun again.
Sorry, I know a lot of you folks out there love the BAM and others, and some of them may well be pretty good, but the Crosman Sierra Pro and the Beeman P17 air pistol both left REALLY bad tastes in my mouth.
I learned my lesson.
NEVER again.