Author Topic: pellets  (Read 5978 times)

pellets
« on: July 27, 2006, 01:41:30 PM »
I shot a .177 is there a pellet that out performs  orperforms more consistant currently I'm shotting  beman  crowmags?

Offline threex4

• http://
RE: pellets
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 01:57:36 PM »
I'm sure you've heard this before, but different guns like different pellets.  some prefer JSB, others Cpl/h, others, the list goes on.  if yours like crow mags, stay with them if not try different ones till you find the perfect one.  I shoot mostly 22 and have maybe 15 different kinds of 22 pellets for the different rifles/ guns I have.
 I just wished they all like the same kind of pellets , it would save on buying so many different ones.

Re: pellets
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 11:57:43 AM »
What rifle ya shootin ?

If it's a Gamo try Crossman Preimiers, round nose not the  hollow points, every one of my gamo's shoot them sweet. Beeman Field & Target Specials work great if you like a little heaver pellet. Superdomes also work fine about the same as the crossman's.

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 12:25:51 PM »
I think this was or has been discussed in a previous post. Every air gun is different. You need to experiement with different pellets to know which one works best with your air gun.

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 02:42:50 PM »
Yes it has, and most of the time it's some youngster asking. I just hate to see a new person to air gunning waste a bunch of money on pellets that WILL NOT group in MOST Gamo's.

I have 7 Gamo rifles and every one to the last will shoot Crossman preimiers well, either lites or heavys. I like the lites because it's like throwing a pass not punting, they are a much flatter shooting pellet. FTS's shoot well, Superdomes shoot well, squirrels and bunnys at 50 yards no problem,   crow mags will  not group after 30 yards, at least in any Gamo I have shot them in. I have never had a pointed pellet shoot well in any rifle I own, be it a Gamo or my 1000x's or my Genesis, and even my Chinese B-2-?

Maybe out to 25/ 30 yards they are ok , but after that who knows where they go. They seem to spiral, 20 yards right on, 25 yards a little left or right, 30 yards high and right, 40 yards miss the target. This is with a concerned effort to sight the rifle in with a certan pellet and trying it at different ranges, some group just fine other than the up a down POI from different ranges, but when they start to wander side to side, high and right or left,  then they go in the don't use these pellets in gamo's.

Just giving my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

Also I almost gave up on Crossman preimiers because I was using hollow points, once I bought a tin of round nose the groups were super compaired to the HP's

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 04:54:18 AM »
I understand that choosing the right pellet can be expensive, but in order to enjoy target shooting or even hunting varment or small game the airgun has to do its part with the pellet it likes.

I also own seven Gamo's and my first one was a S1K. I tried the crow magnums, and premier's and had flyers all the time. I tried those and some more in my CFX's and had the same problem with flyers and the CFX seemed to be more sensitive to keeping the groups within a good pattern.

My QB's shoot anything that I have in my arsonel of pellets.... lol And the groups are on the average the same. My B26.2 seems to shoot the Gamo Match very well. But get alot of flyers with the CP's. It is a learning thing with the pellets and air guns. Most people who own one or more air guns will all tell you that they have had to try at least a few different pellets to find the correct one that there air gun shoots the best.

I think that every CFX, S1K, R9, R1, etc could possible vary in what pellets work best.

I finally ended up useing RWS Superdomes in both .177 and .22 in all  my Gamo's. These work best all around for my air guns and it keeps the cost down.. :) But that does not mean there is not a pellet out there that would not work better.. I have settled on the RWS Superdomes.

No one certain pellet will work best in all the air guns. You have to experiment and spend a few bucks to get it right.

Some of the Air Gun retailers sell sample packs, and in my opinion, that would be the best way to go for a new air gunner..

Gene

THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline longislandhunter

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 09:16:06 AM »
Gene, was just wondering how the superdomes perform on squirrels.  I was thinking of ordering some superdomes and trying them, mostly based on what I've read people saying about them.  I have found several types of pellets that work well for me for different applications in my rifles, but I haven't been able to find a domed pellet that shoots well in my guns.  Hence I thought I'd give the superdomes a try.  Do you use them on small game and if so how do they perform?  Thanks.
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Offline rabbit

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 10:31:43 AM »
Longislandhunter,

Excuse me for butting - in, but I have used the superdomes, in .177 cal., on much larger varmints than squirrells in my back yard. They nearly always pass completely through the varmint, producing a good fast, clean, and humane kill. They also leave a fairly good sized exit hole. They are also extremely accurate. Best of luck...

Rabbit
Rabbit

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 10:49:35 AM »
Jeff

The RWS Superdomes work fine for me on squirrels. Squirrels are the only thing I hunt. I never get a flyer with them when shooting paper at 40 to 50 yards. I use them with my Hunter 1250 .22, S1K .177, CFX 177 and my QB's .22..

Just buy a small tin of them and try them. Your air gun may or may not like them. Just depends on your air gun..  They can be tempermental sometimes...:)

Gene

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline longislandhunter

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 11:38:08 AM »
Thanks Gene, and Rabbit, I appreciate the quick response.  I think I'll go ahead and order a tin in both 22 and 177 and give them a try.  I'll let you know how I make out.  Thanks again.
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 12:16:11 PM »
I know you're probably asking about the best  hunting pellet as opposed to just the best pellet period, but I thought this might help a bit:

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/08/best-pellet-of-all.html

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 08:48:17 AM »
I use Superdomes in my .177s, nice and accurate and at 8.1gr they carry just a tiny bit more energy down range than a 7.9.

My twennytwos shoot fine with just plain 'ol Copperheads, so that's what I use...why mess with perfection, lol!! : D

Offline Gene_SC

Dang, Mr. Ardillo, all this time I thought you only had a BB..
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 12:37:43 PM »
gun...:) I was thinking how remarkably talented you were out hunting with a BB gun and baggin so many squirrels..  Now  you tellin us u gots pellet guns... he he

Gene

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

RE: Dang, Mr. Ardillo, all this time I thought you only had a BB..
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 03:59:30 AM »
Gene_SC - 8/1/2006  5:37 PM

gun...:) I was thinking how remarkably talented you were out hunting with a BB gun and baggin so many squirrels..  Now  you tellin us u gots pellet guns... he he

Gene

Really?? I don't recall ever saying that. Perhaps you were going by the photo of one of my guns that I posted in my album?

I haven't posted any photos of my guns recently because I haven't had time to take any recently, and my guns have changed since the last photo I took, but here it is anyway.
I've since changed the shrouded .177 barrel on the 1377 to an unshrouded 10" 1322 barrel. It also doesn't have the scope mounted right now because I just bought a new one, and here again, just haven't had the time to mount and sight it in yet.

The 856 now has a 3/4 shroud on the barrel, as does the 901 which I've not had time to take a pic of yet.

Why no time you ask?? I just got back from Yosemite yesterday and I have two memory cards full of pics still to edit. Maybe when I get done with that and finish mounting the new scope and sighting it in and get back from my daily visit to my Dad in the skilled nursing facility thirty miles away, I'll break out the 'Ol collection and take a few updated pics. : )

BTW...
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 04:09:19 AM »
I DO have lots of pics 'O dead squirrels...lol...if anybody's interested... : D