Author Topic: Gas ram question...Daved, are you listening?  (Read 1217 times)

Gas ram question...Daved, are you listening?
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:55:41 PM »
Yeah, anyway, keeping in mind my earlier mention of considering a gas ram for my .22 CFX, I have read others on different forums mention that extra lubrication was needed because of the ram.
That sounds to me like what PCP users have to do with their pellets, but maybe I am getting bad information here.
They are talking about having to lubricate all pellets shot from gas ram rifles.
I expect to put the two drops of Crosman CROil pure silicone down my muzzle every 1,000 or so shots, but the idea of lubing pellets doesn't appeal to me, as that usually results in detonations and decreased performance.
Am I wrong here?

Offline leftcoast1

• http://
RE: Gas ram question...Daved, are you listening?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 12:59:37 AM »
Did they mention why they had to lube the pellets. With a gasram all your doing is replacing the main spring with a strut like device. I have one in my Webley Patriot. I love it  no twang no twist just a thud.
Jason
A couple of Springers nothin to get excited about.

Offline daved

• http://
RE: Gas ram question...Daved, are you listening?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 02:39:28 AM »
New one on me, Scott.  I've NEVER lubed pellets, even in my Talon, and certainly not in a springer.  Like Jason said, it's simply another form of "spring", it just uses an encapsulated compressed gas as the spring instead of a piece of coiled steel wire.  If you've never seen one, they look like the gas lift on a typical hatch back car, just smaller.  I would recommend an upgraded piston seal, as I believe the gas rams accelerate quicker than a steel spring.  If I'm right, that means more friction heat, and could potentially lead to accelerated seal failure with stock seals.  Haven't checked JM's site lately, but if he's doing Tesla seals for the Gamo's now, I'd go that route.  He wasn't when I did mine, so I used one of his Hornet seals, as I recall.  It's still going strong, like I said, 15 fpe just a few months ago.  Not sure how I'm going to keep tabs on the gun now, my brother just sold it for $400.  He got bit by the Talon bug, now I need to find him one :-).  Guess there may be some resale value in doing this conversion after all, but the buyer has to shoot it.  The guy that bought the CFX has had several inexpensive springers before, but once he shot the CFX, he had to have it.  BTW, I don't think I'd even do the oil down the muzzle, at least I never have done anything like that, and my guns shoot great.  In fact, I almost never clean them, on the rare occasions that I do, it's just a patch with some Goo Gone 'til clean, then dry patches to clear out the Goo Gone.  I avoid it because the next 100 or so shot group like crap :-)!  Anyway, good luck, and keep me posted on what you end up doing.  My offer still stands, I'd be more than happy to talk you through it.  Later.

Dave

Interesting note, I just checked David Slade's site.  He used to have a note there about a higher powered ram available soon for the Gamo rifles, it's not there anymore.  In fact, there's no mention of power rating on ANY of his rams.

Another interesting note, the only ram listed on the Theoben UK site is the HW 80/RX 1.  They used to list a bunch.