Author Topic: G1-Extreme & Quest Barrel Hinge Modifications  (Read 2026 times)

G1-Extreme & Quest Barrel Hinge Modifications
« on: October 16, 2007, 01:22:50 AM »
Ok, so I now I have this new G-1 and after straightening out the scope issue I had ,and adding the  gold trigger, I notice that the barrel hinge pivot screw is prone to loosening itself. Other than that the gun is great. This happens while cocking the gun and of course, plays hob with the accuracy. I dished out the stock on the left side so I can see the barrel pivot screw and  I can  now tighten it if it becomes loose  without removing the stock. It sucks though to have to constantly watch that screw, and to have to carry a screwdriver with me. I've been wondering what is the best solution to this problem and what have others done to this gun  regarding the barrel reciever/hinge.I made some new brass spacer washers like Fix did, but wonder if anyone has subsituted a  hinge screw similar to  the ones on the HW guns, or from another make, that stays locked up, that would already fit the G-1 pivot screw hole? Maybe with just counter boring the rightside of the tube?

Offline CharlieDaTuna

• http://www.charliedatuna.com
RE: G1-Extreme & Quest Barrel Hinge Modifications
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 02:49:35 AM »
The simplest way is to clean the bolt and threads using acetone, alcohol or fingernail polish. Then LocTite the threads on the yoke with Blue LocTite (not red) being careful not to over do it and get the LocTite on or into the bushing. I suggest that you do not put it on the threads of the bolt as it will transfer onto the bushing when you install the bolt and seize the bolt to the bushing. Lube the bolt shoulder with a heavy  (non-running so it doesn't mix with the LocTite) lube when installing.  Then let it set for 24 hours until it cures. If the threads are good and clean it should hold with no problem. It's been done this way for untold years, especially on the B-18/19's and cheap as well as efficient. It's what Gamo does and they never come loose although they do use a seizing formula that is very difficult to break loose.
Bob  aka:  CharlieDaTuna
Co-founder of the GTA

HOME OF THE GRT-III TRIGGER

Home of the NPSS-NP Triggers:  
            http://charliedatuna.com/NPSS.htm

E-Mail:  CDT22@Verizon.net

Benji-342 .177 /Brazilian Winchester 800 .22 /Gamo Cadet .177 /Gamo Shadowmatic .177 /Gamo 440 .22 /Gamo Royal .22 /Gamo Whisper .177 /Gamo SK-1 .20 /B-20 .177 /TF-99 .177 /QB-78 .177 /QB-78t .22 /QB-78-(CD) .22 /QB-78-(CJ) .22/QB-78D .22 /Crosman 2240 .22 /Cros 150 .177 /Crosman Back Packer .22 ?Crosman AS 2250 .22 /Daisy Mod 93 .177 /Marksman 2004 .177 /GS 35 .177 /FWB-124 .177 /Custom Marauder .22 /Custom Disco .177

RE: G1-Extreme & Quest Barrel Hinge Modifications
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 01:52:53 PM »
Thank-you for the reply ,I will try the loctite. I 'm a big advocate of the "KISS" principle. I just was curious about subsitutions ,as I've  seen a lot of posts that dwell on accuracy issues that blame  the hinge design of the Quests and their relatives. Many of them deal with making new bolts and other such modifications to the yoke to make them more precise. I have the clear tar in the lube kit I recieved from Maccari when I bought my replacement parts for my 320. Would that be the best for lubing the bolt shoulder?

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: G1-Extreme & Quest Barrel Hinge Modifications
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 04:16:28 AM »
Hmmm Paul That is something I have never run into.. All my keepers shoot straight..:) Also depends if me eye are crossed at the momment I guess..:) No really I have never noticed that before but I am no expert either. I just buy em, tune em, put a scope on em and shoot at the bulls. :) Have only had one barrel cocker that was defective from the factory at the lockup point. Must of been built on a Monday..hehe Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin