Author Topic: Hey Gene...how about a "Post of the month"???  (Read 5013 times)

Re: Hey Gene...how about a "Post of the month"???
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 06:41:09 PM »
Further responses would only defeat the purpose of my original response.

If you wish to think that everything is of equal value, then mnore power to ya.

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
After all your responses, the "Post of the month" idea
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 11:41:19 PM »
may not be such a good idea at all....:) This forum has been coming along very well since Charlie and I opened the doors. All the posts have been great. I would be hard pressed to even try and pick the post of the month...:) I have learned a great deal more myself with all the information that you all have placed in your posts. I would not want to change this for the world. As a team we are doing fantastic here. I know I keep saying this but this is your forum.

So far, all of you guys have made this forum a great place for others to come and obtain and share knowledge.

I thank each and everyone of ya for your support, help and contributions.

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Thats how opinions work.......
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 02:48:43 PM »
A friend of mine had an expression - "I will fight to the death for your right to express your opinion - even if it is wrong". LOL !!!!!
Seriously now - with the diversity of people here, there will always be differences of opinion - after all, wouldn't life be a bore if everyone thought exactly alike? We can agree to disagree on this point, but we do continue to enjoy shooting our airguns - so I guess we both share the opinion that airguns are cool. Keep 'em in the ten ring, my friend.

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 11:11:27 AM »
So uhm, uh, do I still get my Harley?

really though, it makes sense.  Competition breeds jealousy, and jealousy breeds....well, you get my point.  You're right, but what about a raffle?  Maybe people with junk stuff laying around like say tins of pellets, or uhm chinese spring left over from a repair kit, or a jar of peanuts, or say maybe a Harley?  They could offer it up to you, and you could just take all of the names from the monthly postings and draw a random name, and the offerer could send the winner the item?  No competition there, just fun like Bingo.  Oh yea, when I say random, I mean the stuff BESIDES the Harley, we all know THAT lucky draw will be legit(wink).  I dunno, just a thought.  I have a set of Fast Deer sights sitting out in my garage I doubt I'll ever need, and I'm willing to be the first to offer up. And no, if you live on some island where I'd have to pay a native surf swimmer to deliver them YOU will pay for shipping.

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline nmmike

• http://
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006, 02:15:43 PM »
I'm holdin' out for the Harley. 8)
And my guess on the bullet/pellet thing is: the same time.
Mike

Offline DanoInTx

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006, 06:13:25 PM »
nmmike - 8/5/2006  9:15 PM

I'm holdin' out for the Harley. 8)
And my guess on the bullet/pellet thing is: the same time.
Mike

Yup, I'd rather have the Harley too.

Bullet vs. Pellet...good answer and correct.  Speed of course does not effect gravity on a level plane.  I had one other answerer in my inbox, but it was wrong.  So two things dropped at the same time will hit the ground at the same time, regardless of weight...or so Newton says.  So why would forward motion change that at all.   Some people after sighting in their rifles at different ranges get this idea into their heads that projectiles somehow grow wings during forward motion.  Which we of course know is not true.  The sights/scope on a gun actually correct for the amount gravity will play on an object by the time the object reaches a defined distance.  So actually a level gun, level as per the line of sight, has it's bore canted at a slightly upward angle.  Glad someone else agrees:)  Of course the bullet will have travelled further than the pellet because if it takes both 1 second to drop to the ground due to gravity, and one is going 800fps it will have travelled 800feet(in a perfect airless world), and the bullet at 3000fps will have travelled 3000feet.  Of course due to wind resistance there will be deceleration, so this would not happen....if it could happen we wouldn't be able to breath:)

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline vinceb

• http://
Are you so sure I was wrong?
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 01:18:52 AM »
We do no live on a "flat earth", we live on a ball.

Because of that - if a projectile is shot over "level" ground (that is, the ground is equidistant from the earth's center), from the projectile's perspective the ground would seem to be "falling away" even as the projectile falls towards it.

That is the reason that satellite orbits are possible. Satellites are always falling towards earth (that is, being moved by the earth's gravity), but they don't actually hit it.

If the bullet was shot fast enough (and designed with sufficiently low aerodynamic drag and didn't hit anything), it could literally circle the entire earth and hit the shooter in the keester.

The amount of this effect depends on a great number of factors... espectially the distance from the surface at which the shots were fired.

According to my rough calculations (because of the relatively minute distances involved, many simplifications are possible while getting a decent answer) - the 3000fps bullet will hit the ground about 20 milliseconds (.02 sec) later than the pellet.

I told you the difference wasn't much - but there is a difference.

Offline DanoInTx

Haha, in THAT view I stand corrected.
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2006, 03:46:24 AM »
Very good answer, I expected an appeal!  Yes, in the case of the round earth, if we were say 1000feet off of the "level" ground you might get a measurable difference.  I have been trumped, and I will accept that.  Let's pretend there was more room in the quotes section for me to say the "level" ground was perfectly level, and before it's mentioned let's say the bullet and pellet are exactly the same shape, just different weights and speed, then they would hit at EXACTLY the same time...as per Newton.  I did mention "perfect World" conditions though, and unless I join the Flat Earth Society, you win.  Dang, now I have to think of something different.

You did however make a point about orbiting masses, which I plan to add to the quotes:)

Dan
Dan

\"repeat this mantra: