Author Topic: TF-89 .22 Initial Testing  (Read 3204 times)

Offline longislandhunter

• http://
TF-89 .22 Initial Testing
« on: December 12, 2007, 01:19:42 PM »
Well, cleaned the TF-89 barrel real good, set up some targets, set up the chrony and got ready to do some chrony and grouping tests. Cocking was nice and smooth, lockup was nice and tight and the trigger is absolutely great !!

Rifle shoulders nicely, feels comfortable, no "twang" at all, no vibration and no torquing. There is some recoil to the gun but nothing uncomfortable. I didn't have any problem at all with "dieseling". All in all the rifle fires very nicely.

Since I really couldn't mount a scope on the rifle right now I did all my shooting with the factory open sights at a distance of 15 yards. The sights functioned well and adjusted nicely. My eyes and open sight usually don't go together well anymore but I was able to shoot dime sized groups with every single pellet type in my arsenal,,,, first time I had a rifle shoot every pellet type on my shelf with such tight groups. Nice to know I will be able to use any of the pellets I have on hand, although after Christmas morning (when the rifle "officially" becomes mine) the first order of business is to mount the 3x9x32 I have for her so I can shoot further than 15 yards.

As for the chrony results,,, here are the average FPS for each pellet type based on 10 shots with each pellet..............

Crosman Pointed...........................771.5

JSB Exact Express.........................736.5

Crosman Hollow Point.....................773.5

Crow Magnums............................673.3

JSB Predator...............................725.2

RWS SHP...................................779.6

RWS Superdome..........................777.7

CPL.........................................772.8

GAMO Hunter.............................741.8

Beeman FTS...............................772.6

Each of the 10 shot strings were very consistent and like I said,,,,, all of the pellets gave me dime sized groups.

The JSB Predator FPS was much lower than the rest, and not as consistent, but I think it may be because the pellets I used were the tin where I keep all the predators with damaged skirts. I tried to pick out the best ones but I think the damaged skirts were effecting the FPS readings. In hind sight I should've opened a new tin, although I did get a great group with them,,,, I'll have to re-test the predators.

I guess the FPS may go up a bit as the rifle breaks in but even if it doesn't I'm very happy with the numbers as they are. With the accuracy and power the rifle is showing it's gonna make a great small game hunting rifle The light weight of the rifle is also going to be a plus when it comes to toting it around in the field for hours. I am extremely happy with the purchase of this rifle,, enough so that I'm thinking of pressing the order button on the Hammerli Titan in .177. After all my tests were done I cleaned her up all nice and shiny, placed her inside the silicone gun sock that came with my G1-Extreme, and put her back in the delivery box so the wife can wrap it up for me.....

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
RE: TF-89 .22 Initial Testing
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 02:47:49 PM »
Sound's like she's a winner buddy and all is looking great from what you described. Your like me, the true test is in the field hunting. Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline r1derbike

• http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v402/r1derbike/
Re: TF-89 .22 Initial Testing
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 04:06:23 PM »
Got mine this evening.  No chrony results, though.  My first break-barrel rifle, and it does take a slight "slap" to open, but shuts easily.  I've still got reservations with the whole break-barrel thing.  Been shooting fixed-barrel air rifles so long, something different is going to take some getting used to...

...I like the twang/buzz free power plant.  Does have more recoil than my .22 CFX.  I'm hoping that recoil will spawn good chrony numbers, when I get a chance to do it.

Charles
Lead Launchers: 30 Year Old Daisy .177 Cal. Model 880 Pumper (BSA 3022SB Red Dot Scope), Gamo CFX .22 Cal. Springer with GRT III Trigger (BSA 4X32 Scope), Gamo CFX .177 Cal. Combo Springer (BSA 2-7X32 AO Scope), Gamo R-77 .177 Cal. CO2 Combat Pistol (Laser Sight), Umarex/Beretta .177 Cal. CX4 Storm CO2 Bullpup (Walther PS-22 Red Dot Scope & Dorcy Night Light), Chinese QB-57 .22 Cal. Takedown Springer (BSA 3022SB Red Dot Scope & Dorcy Night Light),  Chinese Tech-Force S2-1 .177 Cal. Springer Pistol (Boat Anchor...), Chinese Tech-Force Contender Model 89 .22 Cal. Springer (BSA Laser & Tactical Light, CenterPoint 4-16X40 Illum. Ret. Mil. Dot Scope), Crosman 1377 .177 Cal. Pumper Pistol (1399 stock, BSA 3022SB Red Dot Scope), Daisy Powerline 717 .177 Cal. Single-Pump Pistol (Open Sights).

Re: TF-89 .22 Initial Testing
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 04:13:52 AM »
Looks like yours doesn't have the piston seal issues that Gene reported with his. Chrony numbers seem to be in line . I'm glad to see that, as it means that it is maybe not the norm for that gun. When I read his review that kinda turned me off to the gun even though personally, I'd have no trouble repairing that problem as long as I could get the slightly larger piston seal that was needed.