Author Topic: MP513 review  (Read 8658 times)

Offline vinceb

• http://
MP513 review
« on: February 14, 2007, 12:13:51 PM »
"And now for something completely different"....

Well, not completely. The MP513 is, after all, a breakbarrel rifle, sooo... how different can it be?

Significantly, as it turns out. There really isn't one particular thing about this gun that is unheard of, but it has an unusual combination of traits and features that makes this gun unlike anything else.

First, there's the size. At 47" stem to stern, it's longer than my Beeman S1, my RWS 34, or my AR1000. Yet the pull length is just about 14", a little less than that of a Shadow. Does this make it muzzle-heavy and unbalanced? Hardly. The center of gravity is only about 6 1/2" in front of the trigger, despite the long powerplant and barrel. Part of the reason must be the skinny barrel - about .515 OD, which also contibutes to a relatively light weight of about 6lb 14oz.

Then there's the overall look of the rifle. Very business-like, the antithesis of frilly. Almost military, but old-school military... with oversized screws, a matt finish on all metalwork (almost a krinkle finish), and a medium-brown finish on the wood stock. No hi-tech plastics here (except for the front sight). And just as a soldier is expected to keep his weapon in good fighting condition, Baikal apparently expects the same thing out of you... and provides spare parts (including a spring and seal) and a cleaning rod.

Cocking the rifle for the first time is something of a shock... just be ready to pull HARD. Don't remember if it's worse than a Powerline, but it might be. This ain't no Gamo or Quest. And be ready for noise. Know how some sidelevers (like the B21 and the Fast Deer) have a ratchet mechanism to keep the cocking lever from springing back if you let it go? Well, the IZH has the same thing. And considering how hard it is to pull, maybe it's not such a bad idea! Cocking also feels a wee bit odd because of the skinny barrel - but no, I don't think it's gonna bend. Sure feels like it, though...

You have to keep pulling back until is stops, there's no nice, solid "ka-chink!" as the sear catches. In fact, it's hard to tell when it catches at all. But when it does, you insert the pellet and close the barrel normally.

Now, this rifle does not have an automatic safety (other than the typical "can't pull the trigger with the barrel open" anti-beartrap)... but it DOES have a single-action hammer. So after you close the breach you have to pull the hammer back (like a Daisy 1894 BB gun) before you can shoot. The hammer is a real hammer, mind you... not a safety that looks like one. When you pull the trigger you are releasing the hammer, and the hammer then hits the piston release. It's sort of an oddball mechanism, but it does have one advantage - you can dry fire the gun all you want without cocking it just by pulling the hammer back. It's an easy way to get used to the trigger, and you can even fiddle with the adjustment.

You can get used to the trigger all you want, but you will never get used to the firing cycle without actually discharging the gun. The hard cocking promises a lot of "action", and that's what you get when you go live. Yes, the Powerline kicks a lot and makes a lot of noise - and the MP513 kicks just as bad (or worse) but the effect is different. It's harsh without sounding or feeling cheap like the Powerline. To me, anyway, it feels more like a cartridge rifle than any other air gun I've shot. But be warned - the forward recoil is rather stout - my finger gets a little sore from the sharp edge of the trigger getting banged into it!

Despite all the gyrations it goes through when you shoot it, it doesn't seem to be hard to shoot well. I managed a 3/8" 5-shot 10 yard group with the open sights and without really concentrating that hard. For me, that's good, as good as I am able to do with opens.

Speaking of the sights (non-fiberoptic), they bear some discussion all on their own. The rear sight is a stamped sheet metal assembly that is adjustable for both windage and elevation. The Russians didn't "purdy it up" with fancy (or numbered) knobs, and they don't have the smooth, refined feel of some other sights. But the detents are strong, and the rear blade/windage adjustment sub-assembly has a setscrew that holds it in place. Loosen the screw and the assembly can be rotated back and forth (angling the blade towards or away from you) or moved from side to side, presumably to extend the adjustment range.

The front sight is a large assembly with a replaceable insert (I have NO idea how to get different inserts). The front bottom of the sight is a knob that unscrews to allow the front sight to come off, at which point the insert could be changed. Or you could just leave it off if you're scoping the gun - the "parts kit" has a little plastic piece that replaces the front sight assembly if you want to do without. It leaves you with what looks like a little muzzle break when you put the knob back on.

The receiver isn't groved for a scope, instead the rifle has a rail similar to the Gamo 440 or the RWS. I haven't scoped it yet, but remember my above comments about the forward recoil! If you use a scope, make sure it's a strong one!

And now, for the final bit... how potent is it? Without any apparent dieselling, I'm getting 1015-1025 fps with CPL's, but I've got less than 100 rounds through it. Could get better, could get worse as it breaks in. But overall there's no doubt about the gun's potency or accuracy. Granted, the Powerline can produce similar power for less money, but the MP513 certainly comes off as being far less toy-like than the Daisy. And it has one thing going for it that the Daisy doesn't... go to http://www.eaacorp.com and look up the parts diagram for this thing. They sell almost every service part for the gun, and at reasonable prices. In fact, the prices are online too. That's good support, and that alone is a big mark in favor of this gun.

So, is the gun worth the money? At this point the judgment has to be: absolutely! Although maybe more so in .22. Granted, it MAY NOT be your cup o' tea, especially with it's hard cocking and brutish firing behavior. I know my wife wouldn't like shooting it. In fact, it certainly isn't going to be my favorite plinker either. But nevertheless, it will be fun to "take 'er for a spin" from time to time... when I REALLY feel like shooting a "man's gun" (er, sorry, dear!)

About the pictures - for some reason the finish looks far worse than it does in person. Anyway, the first picture is the rear sight/pivot block assembly. The second and third are the front sight intalled and removed. Picture 4 is the rear of the receiver, showing the hammer, scope rail, and one of the plugs that holds the whole thing together. The last one is the entire gun (obviously)

RE: MP513 review
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 12:46:17 PM »
That was a very good review, vince. That gun isn't bad looking at all.   Keep up the great work!

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
Re: MP513 review
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 02:23:51 PM »
Nice review Vince!

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline ribbonstone

question
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 02:44:10 PM »
How high does the scope's occular have to be to still reach in and opperate the hammer?
Robert

Offline vinceb

That's a very good question!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 09:45:44 AM »
And if I HAD the rifle in my posession, I'd answer it for you!

You see, something seemed not quite right - the pins in the rear that hold the whole shebang together were angled funny. I asked EAA about it and they told me to send the gun back to them. Which I did yesterday.

In my letter accompanying the rifle, I also ask that if the gun has to be replaced anyway is there any chance it could be replaced with a .22.

In any case, I oughta be able to answer your question in a couple of weeks.

Offline ribbonstone

RE: That's a very good question!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 05:00:48 PM »
Did find a write up that showed a scoped rifle witht eh comment that it was easy to cock the hammer...but it certainly didn't look all that easy from the picture shown.

Not a fan of high mounts with har recoiling/vibrating rifles...figure the mounts function as levers....but I'm still interrested in finding out, so let me know when you give it a try.
Robert

Offline fnash

RE: MP513 review
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 02:57:17 AM »
Here is a review by BB Pelletier:
http://blogsearch.google.com/blogsearch?as_q=513&bl_url=www.pyramydair.com%2Fblog
Parts 1 and 2.......FN
FN

Offline fnash

RE: MP513 Purchase
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 03:20:16 AM »
More info on MP513. If you are an NRA member you can order direct from EAA web site. They do have .22 in stock. Price is 120 plus 10 ship. Both calibers are in stock. When you go to purchase the NRA info will pop up, need your member number. Just talked to them on phone......FN
FN

Re: MP513 review
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 04:31:35 PM »
This was an excellent review. I have had my MP513 in .22 cal since March of this year and you are right on the money. The  B square medium hight mounts work with most scopes. I purchased this rifle for pest control, and it works like a champ. I just got a chrono for christmas and will try it out with this rifle first. It's a beast but a good alternative to the rimfires close in. For the money, it's a great buy. I noticed that the price of these went up, I only paid $139 for mine. By the way, I find the hammer feature to be kind of a plus for someone that learned to shoot with an old single shot rimfire, it's almost intuitive, although it does complicate scope mounting. :)