Author Topic: In need of some airgunscope education!  (Read 1776 times)

In need of some airgunscope education!
« on: January 08, 2008, 06:52:02 AM »
Being relatively new to air guns. Most of my experience with scopes has been with firearms. I have about four air rifles, two are pump up pneumatics, two are spring piston guns. The pump up rifles seem to function fine with scopes, almost the same as a rimfire, but the spring guns seem to never hold their zero. Is this due to the recoil, the lock up, or what? The springers shoot just fine with their iron sights, but with a scope they're all over the place. using a scope stop on one rifle and rings with the little set screws on the other. The rifles in question are an MP513 in .22 and an 800x in .22(which is on it's way to CDT for a tune< spring seems to have died at 4k rnds) Any and all comments would be appreciated. :o

Offline PeakChick

• http://
RE: In need of some airgunscope education!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 07:15:13 AM »
Hey David, yours is a question we have all had to come to grips with. Your experience is pretty common. Yes, your pneumatics, SSP, MPP, PSP, etc. will do fine with just about any rifle scope. The springers are far different. Due to the unique reward and forward mechanical recoil spring powered air rifles are notoriously brutal on scopes and mounts. You must use scopes that are rated for spring air rifle recoil, and will need very robust mounts that have some form of recoil stop, whether that be an integral stop pin for use in rifles that have a stop pin hole in the receiver or external scope stops.

There are a number of manufacturers that have scopes designed or recommeded for spring powered air rifles, Leapers, Centerpoint, Bushnell, Tasco, Burris, Leupold, Weaver, Simmons, Hawke, Swift, etc. Another dynamic to consider with a scope for an air rifle is parallax adjustment. Most fixed objective and many adjustable objective scopes are designed for high powered rifles and have the parallax set for 100 yd. Scopes designed for air rifles obviously need to have objective focus for much closer ranges. AO air rifles scopes are designed to have a min. focus range of 10 yds., or less in some cases. Fixed objective air rifle scopes are generally set for 25-35 yd. focus. I would highly recommend an AO scope.

You will find some good scope info. and reviwews in the Product Review section under Scopes and Mounts. I would also recommend doing a lot of research on the vendor's sights that sell air rifles, Straight Shooters is really good for this, and on the scope manufacturers web sights.
The current stable, (arsenal, quiver?): BSA Lightning XL .177, BSA Sportsman HV .22, BSA Ultra .177, CZ634 .177, Daystate Harrier X .177, TAU 200 Senior .177, HW 97 .177, HW 50s .177, HW 30 .177, RWS 92 .177, Gamo 126 MC Super, Gamo Big Cat .177, AR2078A, QB78 .177, Quest 1000 .177, Beeman SS650 .177., Beeman P17 .177.

Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

RE: In need of some airgunscope education!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 07:17:50 AM »
Hi Gunman!

You're right, scoping airguns can be a challenge.  Your pump-up's will work great with any decent centerfire or rimfire scope, they've got minimal recoil.  Your springers are another matter, and will need some attention to make them shoot well scoped.

You've got 2 things working against you with a springer.  First is the complex, harsh (relatively) 2 stage recoil that finishes long before the pellet leaves the barrel.  That causes hold sensitivity in the rifle.  Second is the comples, harsh (relatively) 2 stage recoil that destroys "normal" scopes.

First you'll need a good airgun rated scope.  Unlike a firearm, the recoil from a springer punches the gun forward instead of rearward at the end of the firing cycle.  Firearm scope optics can't deal with this, they're braced for the rearward recoil of a powderburner.  So be sure to get a good airgun rated scope.  Leapers, Bushnell, many others make'em.  Loads of reviews out there.

Second you'll need a good scope mount.  Some guns and scopes will work fine with 2 piece rings, but many (especially high powered guns) require one piece mounts.  All the mounting surfaces have to be clean, I use alcohol to be sure.  Everything gets tightened as much as is reasonable, and locktighted.  While you're at it, tighten the stock screws too and locktight them as well.

Third, you're gonna have to work on your hold.  Lots said about this too, but in general, springers want to be free to recoil, so we hold them loosely.  The non-trigger hand (left for most of us) goes under the forearm, at about the gun's ballance point.  Just rest the gun on your open palm, don't grip the forearm.  Trigger hand loosely grips the stock, just enough pressure to hold the gun.  Stock lightly to teh shoulder (I pull it to the shoulder, then relax).  Cheek lightly on the stock.  Each contact point should be as close as possible to the same each time, any change will affect the recoil and thus the point of impact.  This technique is often referred to as the "artillery hold" as like an artillery piece, we allow free recoil of the weapon on the carriage (us in this case), like a howitzer.  Finally, followthru, as the long "lock time" of the springer demands it.  Watch your impact thru the scope.

Sounds like alot, but once mastered, the springer will make you a better shot with all your guns.  Since you say you group OK with iron sights, perhaps your hold is less consistant with the scope mounted, perhaps the scope is moving, perhaps the scope is damaged.

Well, hope I covered something useful...

For more, Pyramid Air's blog (by BB Pelletier) is helpful in describing this and scoping issues.

J

Re: In need of some airgunscope education!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 10:12:08 AM »
When I get the Quest back from Bob, I'll try a one piece mount and locktite everything up.What grade of locktite do you rcommend? All I have is the purple(must be removed with high heat). The MP 513 may be a little more challanging, as the holes for the pins are rather shallow. The scope I've been trying is a BSA 3-12X40 with AO, and is supposed to be up to the job.The scope that came with the Quest is a Crosman 4x, and I suspect that this is almost useless. I got a Bushnell Sportsman airgun scope w/o ao for Christmas, but cannot find a what distace the parrallax is set for.
   I've done a fair amount of rimfire sillouette shooting, so the artillery hold is somewhat familiar, as almost all my shooting is done from a standing position, and requires the same ,or at least similiar technique. I really do ok at 50 yards with iron sights on a soup can sized target, it's just the scope thing that drives me nuts. What would really work for me is a 2-7x40 AO, I'm generally using my airguns for pest control,and practice for sillouette shooting when I can't get to the range.Any recommendations, any brands to avoid. I will take a look at the product info section here in the meantime.
 Thanks for the info /I'll keep you posted

Re: In need of some airgunscope education!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 10:14:29 AM »
All good info, and I plan to change mounts to a one piece.