Author Topic: Aggressive hummingbirds?????  (Read 3635 times)

Aggressive hummingbirds?????
« on: August 13, 2006, 07:39:44 AM »
Was watching a hummingbird at our feeder the other day, when suddenly it came under attack by another hummingbird - dive bombing and aggressively attacking it. Chased the other hummingbird clean out of sight, then came back to a nearby shrub and perched there. As soon as the other hummingbird returned, it was chased off again. I watched this behavior for about 30 minutes, and I have no idea how long it had been going on prior to my taking notice of it. I was not aware that hummingbirds could be so aggressive in protecting their territory. Has anyone else ever seen this type of behavior, or is this just one particularly mean little SOB hummingbird?

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: Aggressive hummingbirds?????
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 08:10:20 AM »
LOL Leonard, I have two humming bird feeders. One on the front porch and one on the back porch. There definelty is a king of the hill going on..  :)  The one in the back has a humming bird with green and red ring around neck. That one is master of the feeder.. :) I have seen five humming birds trying to get to the nector and he will chase all of them off.

On the front porch we have about four regulars and it is a riot to watch them try and get some nector. They get very close to us when we are sitting on the porch watching. Buzz right over our heads chasing each other....

I am also facinated by watching birds dive bomb the local tom cat..:) That tom creeps accross the yard to get accross the road hoping the birds don't see him.. lol.. I watched the birds terrorize that tom cat one morning for about 1/2 hour before the tom cat could find cover under the next door neighbors house..  Very Funny to say the least..:)

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline nmmike

• http://
RE: Aggressive hummingbirds?????
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 08:30:41 AM »
Hummingbirds are quite aggressive, some species more than others. They will 'stake out' a territory & attempt to chase off any others that enter that territory. Some of their behavior is really fun to watch. If you have a wild bird store or possibly a pet store in your area it is well worth the few bucks a 'hummer' guide book costs. If you want to have some fun, wear a red cap or shirt & sit near your feeder, I've had them land on the bill of my cap.
Good Luck,
Mike

Offline nmmike

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 08:52:41 AM »
Gene:
When I submitted my initial post I saw yours. In your end of the country, there should only be one type of 'hummer', the Ruby Throated. The one you describe is a male, they are the ones with red on the throat. The females & juveniles are somewhat plainer with more green. If ya' don't believe me just lift his leg the next time he's at the feeder. :D
We also have a small bird (a mockingbird, I think) that dive bombs the local cats. They also like to harass the local Roadrunner population which is occasionally a bad idea as Roadrunners are predators. :o
Have fun watchin'
Mike

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 08:57:49 AM »
this may be mean or something along that line but by the end of a goodday I usually have a good pile of birds taking a dirt nap!!!!!    nEVER SHOT  a HUMMER though its way too pretty

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 06:33:18 AM »
Don't mean to be snotty, but its illegal to shoot any native songbirds in the US.  I hope you're talking about starlings and english sparrows.

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 12:09:32 PM »
Mike, my post was about Humming Birds. How they are territorial. Not shooting them. I do not shoot birds at all, so there would never be a chance of me shooting the wrong birds...:)

With these old eyes, squirrels and larger varments are my sport... They are bigger and easier to hit... he he he

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 01:46:03 PM »
I wasn't picking on you Gene.  Sorry about that.  I've read on other forums about kids shooting Jays, crows and anything else that flits across the yard.  I guess that gets my feathers up!  I've been shooting for over 40 years and never saw the point of killing anything that you couldn't eat or was making a real pest of itself.

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 02:20:32 PM »
LOL Mike, I know you were not picking on me.. I just wanted ya to know that I can't see da birds ...LOL ... I need big targets  lol

Gene :)

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline dw33

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 06:05:58 PM »
It's esoteric knowledge, but the Aztecs used hummingbirds to symbolize war/warriors.  I always wondered why until someone told me they are aggressive towards each other.