Author Topic: Rowan QB78 Multishot Magazine  (Read 8161 times)

Rowan QB78 Multishot Magazine
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:07:01 AM »
Rowans have the modified magazine ready and I am due to do the final tests over the next couple of days. If all is well then they will be released for sale.

We do however, have a slight problem. The gun Rowan Engineering obtained for their own factory testing, an XS78 (same as the QB78 ) seems to have a somewhat less than horizintal breech flat. The magazine sits on this flat and is held in position by a magnet and a lip at the top rear of the retaining bracket. The fact that the breech flat on this gun isn't horizontal is causing the magazine to sit out of true centre by about 2mm. Is this a common fault on these guns as it's not something I've ever come across before or are we looking at a one off manufacturing fault?  It's hard to see what Rowan Engineering can actually do about such a fault as in my opinion all they can do is manufacture their magazine to fit the correct specification for the gun.  I've tried it on the XS78, QB78 and AR2078 and it's been fine; but the breeches haven't shown any sign of this fault.  I'm waiting for a photo of the fault and as soon as I get it I'll post a link.

If anyone can shed any light on this problem we would appreciate it.

Steve

Offline mikeiniowa

• http://airgunartisans.com/flyingdragon
RE: Rowan QB78 Multishot Magazine
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 11:22:47 AM »
I've seen it before, sometimes can be corrected by removing the set screw for the barrel and making sure there isn't a piece of a cut o-ring in the detent, sometimes it's just the set screw not in the center of the detent,......if it's not that then the detent hole needs to be redrilled

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 11:28:25 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the reply and I'll email you a photo of it.  It seems to be that the breech wasn't set true before it was machined and consequently the right side of the breech is 2mm below horizontal and the left side 2mm above!  They removed the set screw and rotated the barrel but all that did was put both the barrel and the breech into combined misalignment asin the photo.  You can appreciate that will of course force the magazine out of true and the magazine pellet chamber will not line up with the pellet tray.  The only thing to do is to put the barrel back into it's true position and file whole pellet tray area flat and more importantly horizontal.  It isn't really Rowan Engineering's problem really as the issue can only be sorted by the manufacturer of the guns and the individual owners but they are righlty worried about it as a customer issue and any resultant bad press/returns.  I have tried to reassure them that QB owners are a resourceful bunch and we aren't afraid of a bit of custom engineering to solve our problems. In any event when they sell this magazine they are going to have to point out the problem and how it can be resolved and I've also advised them to put similar on their website so owners can check their guns before they purchase the magazine.

Thanks Mike,

Steve

Offline mikeiniowa

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 01:41:21 AM »
Check the transfer port, get it in line with the reciever and then remove the material thats in the way, sights most likely won't line up right either, just a goof at the factory,

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 05:21:48 AM »
Thanks for the input Mike.  It seems to be a pretty bad one off but it sure worried the guys at Rowan Engineering. I don't think the guy that machined that breech at the factory would be high on Rowan's employment list LOL!

Steve

Offline mikeiniowa

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 08:20:21 AM »
What do you expect from a guy getting $1 a day.....LOL

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 09:32:54 AM »
Many a true word ...Mike, and the poor beggars can't even get home for their one holiday a year either.

Steve

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
Re: Rowan QB78 Multishot Magazine
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 03:27:25 PM »
Holy guacamole Batman!  They look cool, but if they are priced the same as their Air Arms setups they will cost about the same price as 2 QB78's!!!  I guess I will have to load one at a time for now:(
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 01:06:12 AM »
They will be at least less the UK tax element of 17.5% I would imagine but like anything else developed as a new product R&D costs are prohibitive but once sales have settled you never know.  Like everything else, if you wanna be the guy to have one of the first ones, like me, we pay the price for that privilege.  Do you remember how much computers used to cost and DVD's etc????

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 01:07:20 AM »
The QB/XS78/78/AR2078/79 etc Rowan Engineering multi-shot magazine has now been refined after a couple of hang-ups on larger skirted pellets (tested with Wasp 5.6mm) and the bracket made thicker to accomodate the slightly wider dovetail of the XS78/79's. Altogether, a stronger bracket and smoother loading chambers. The operation is absolutely first class and every pellet loaded smoothly without any hang-ups encountered on the early magazine. This mod has now been applied to all the rotary magazines even though it did not manifest itself on the Air Arms original. I, along with a good many QB/XS shooters, like to use different brands of pellets whereas most AA users, myself included, only use the AA or an equally good pellet in AA guns so the problem didn't arise until the testing on the QB. All the problems now being sorted the bracket and magazine should be available for shipping very shortly but it is best to check the availability on the Rowan website.

Steve

Rowan Engineering - http://www.rowanengineering.com./index.htm

PHOTOS - http://community.webshots.com/album/562099648lAbLBj

Offline London177

• http://
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 05:53:49 AM »
It looks great and well made but it could be a dodo as a business venture because very few will pay the cost for one as the QB's are so cheap, even for me in the UK. I think people will pay £50 for their Air Arms, I'd pay £50 to make my BSA Ultra multi shot but for a QB based gun? I am not so sure. Of course if the US$ gains strength and our over-valued GB£ loses value our American cousins maybe tempted.
regards,
Alan
It\'s OK it\'s just a bruise!

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 06:07:25 AM »
Well judging by the enquiries and requests already received it's already a winner. Even the photos have has over 4,500 views in 16 days!! It seems that we will all pay that little extra for something we really want. Let's face it, it's not being made in China and is not of Chinese quality, fortunately. I don't know how much any of you have spent on your XS78/QB78 but mine has already topped the retail value of my S400 Classic so the money for a multi-magazine is nothing in comparison PLUS having had one on my XS78 for the last three weeks I just cannot do without it now!  I still don't know just how much it will retail in the USA for but by far the most of the enquiries I have had seem to be from the USA :)

Offline London177

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 06:19:24 AM »
Well that's good news for Rowan's and I wish them every sucess :)
It\'s OK it\'s just a bruise!

Offline Jaymo

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 02:22:28 PM »
Considering people will buy10/22 scopes and stocks that cost more than the gun itself, I see no reason for it to be less than successful.I want one in .177 and 3 in .22.
What's not to like about a 9 shot .177 or a 7 shot .22 QB? Now if they'd make one for the B50 and a left handed B50 breech and bolt handle, I'd be in hog heaven.
15th Battalion, Mississippi Sharpshooters, CSA.

Il buono, il cattivo, ed il brutto.

\"Mmm, bacon.\"
\"Squirrel.\"
\"Mmm, squirrel.\"

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 01:04:01 AM »
Jaymo

Bear in mind that it's the same bracket for both .177 and .22 guns so you may only want the single bracket (as a minimum that is) and this is where it starts to become cost effective. Personally I have a bracket on each of my three guns but that's a matter of choice.  Mind you I only bought the one for the S400. The other two are prototypes provided by the guys to test my idea for the QB.  Nevertheless I would have bought the pair if the circumstances had been different.  Please also bear in mind the you want the 'lefty' version if you prefer to advance the magazine and cock the gun with the right hand (most do with this magazine contrary to expectations and it is the 'preferred' version for most shooters) or you have a side-wheel scope.  All mine are right handed versions and I may have to file a notch in the right hand side of the mag to  rectify that; but it will still have to load from the left, so a side-wheel scope is out unless I buy new brackets.  Now there's an idea.   :)

Steve

Review - http://www.airarmsownersclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=3476