Author Topic: cfx  (Read 2202 times)

cfx
« on: February 07, 2008, 01:20:20 PM »
I have CFX's in both .177 and .22 cal.  I like target shooting at distance of 50 yds or more.  Can others share their best results in regards to which pellets have worked best at these distance in each of these calibers?  I have read some results that reported jsb exacts or crosman pellets but were not more specific.  There are several different kinds of JSB exacts for instance.
                                                                                                                                                                                Thanks Jeffery

Offline daved

• http://
RE: cfx
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 01:56:15 PM »
When I had my .177 CFX, the JSB Exact 8.4 gr. 4.52 head dia. was the hands down most accurate pellet for long range stuff.  That was both before and after I installed the gas ram in it.  Second best was the RWS Superdomes, but I'd get more flyers with the Domes.  One qualifier, I don't think I ever shot it for groups at ranges longer than 30 yards.  All my longer range stuff was reactive targets, charcoal briquettes, stuff like that. None of the Crosmans worked worth a damn in that rifle.  HTH.

Dave

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 12:59:51 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I have been using the superdomes as well in my .177 but will be trying the JSB's now.  Yea, it seems most people are doing a lot closer in shooting.  I am rather surprised at the distances I have been able to hit targets with both my CFX's and enjoy shooting beyond 50 yds myself. I'm interested in Crosman's new rifle how do you think that new Crosman Discovery would stack up head to head with a CFX?  I never have had a Co2 rifle but it might be quieter to get off a second shot if needed.
                                                                                                                   Jeffery

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: cfx
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 01:22:08 AM »
Hi Jeff. Ya I own a .177 and .22 CFX and can vouch for accuracy out to 50 yards. If I remember correctly I was getting within a 2" bulls at that range with both of them. One I use the most is the .177 synthetic she sports a nice Bushy 4-12X40 AO Banner scope Great combination and still leaves lots of room for loading port access. I would say that my .177 synthetic has been shot the most out of all my Gamo air rifles. I originally had a Turbo Tune done on it by CDT about two years back with a GRT-III trigger. I do not think I will ever wear it out..:) One great shooter..:)

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline PeakChick

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 01:50:30 AM »
My .177 CFX is most accurate with BSA Wolverine FTs (relabed JSB Exacts 8.4gr.). I have a GRT-III trigger in mine and a Beeman 3-12 x 40 AO scope on it. Very, very easy to shoot, accurate rifle.
The current stable, (arsenal, quiver?): BSA Lightning XL .177, BSA Sportsman HV .22, BSA Ultra .177, CZ634 .177, Daystate Harrier X .177, TAU 200 Senior .177, HW 97 .177, HW 50s .177, HW 30 .177, RWS 92 .177, Gamo 126 MC Super, Gamo Big Cat .177, AR2078A, QB78 .177, Quest 1000 .177, Beeman SS650 .177., Beeman P17 .177.

Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 02:24:11 AM »
Yea, I think these guns are quite capable of 50 yds.  Both mine are CDT tuned and what an improvement it made.  The .22 has a BSA contender scope and a real solid Beeman 5039 mount. I like the adjustability of that mount.  I am just looking for the best pellet as I know some pellets act differently at different ranges.
                                                                                                                Jeffery

Offline daved

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 02:57:18 PM »
The only thing I know about the Disco is that it's a new PCP that also runs on CO2.  I think the main reason most guys don't typically shoot springers at 50 yards and beyond, is that the rifles are power limited to around that range.  The most powerful spring piston guns might get close to 30 fpe.  At that power level, they can be pretty brutal to shoot, and can be really hard to shoot well.  At least that's what I found when I had an RWS 350 .22.  On top of all that, it was pretty damned hold sensitive, at least for me.  And finally, even with the magnum springers, most of them just don't have enough power to handle the heavier pellets.  Of course, this is all my personal experience and opinion, I'm sure there are people on this forum that will disagree with me :-).

I gave up on springers, now I'm strictly a Dark Sider.  My Talon with the 24" .22 barrel will send Kodiaks down range at 1000 fps or more, although I usually try to keep it closer to 900.  And my .177 B50 will do the same thing.  Paint balls at 50 yards are a moderate challenge with the Talon, don't know about the B50 yet, I'm stuck shooting indoors as my outdoor range is under 3 ft. of snow, and I haven't had it that long.  Unless you really enjoy frustration, if you're serious about shooting an air rifle at longer ranges, get a PCP.  Like I said before, that's just my opinion, hope it's some help.  Later.

Dave