Author Topic: BAM B-28 .177 cal.  (Read 4331 times)

Offline DEALERMAN

• GTA Donations
    • http://www.impactairgun.com/
BAM B-28 .177 cal.
« on: March 08, 2008, 01:21:52 AM »
BAM B-28 .177 cal.

BAM B-28

I must say that after spending over an hour shooting this rifle, I have a new found respect for improved quality control that the Chinese manufactures have achieved!  While they are not near the level of German made product, they do offer a product that reasonably well, out of the box performance.

I first inspected the sample rifle and found no deficiencies, not even a loose screw! We cocked the rifle and left it set for 10 minutes or so, and during that time inspected the receiver & breach area. Machining was average and while there is room for improved detailed finishing, nothing appeared that would cause concern.

Now the fun part, we used 6 rounds to get zero and were please at the ease of use and consistent response to minor adjusting in both windage and elevation.

The first pellets used are Beeman Silver Bear 7.1 grain and averaged 1006 FPS over a string of ten shots. Grouping was less than desirable and we had fliers across the string. No consistency with this style/weight lead.

Next we tested the Beeman FTS 8.4 grain pellets, again zeroing the rifle and then testing across the chrony. Our 10 shot groups held very well although we had one flier. The grouping of this fresh rifle with FTS was about a nickel in size @10m. With open sights and not being familiar with this individual rifle, I consider this a great sign! Chrony average for ten shot string 853 FPS.

Last we used Beeman Silver Arrow pellets 11.6 grain and again sighted in after several rounds. The chrony numbers drop quickly here, our ten string average was 539 and I was surprised at the low average with the 11.6 grain pellets.  But then again, this round carries over 60% more weight than the Silver Bear at 7.1. Grouping: had two fliers and group was about 7/8”.

We would like to here what other owners found out of the box.

I suspect that the FPS of a .22 (if Xisico uses the same power plant) may not be that great based on what results show here.

Time will tell.
Kevin Barthel
Impact Air Gun, Inc.
aka: Dealerman
kevin@impactairgun.com

Offline PeakChick

• http://
RE: BAM B-28 .177 cal.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 02:08:09 AM »
Thanks for the initial impression review Kevin. I agree that the Chinese are getting better ab out QC in their higher end guns. Interesting performance numbers, I'm not big about "super magnum" rifles, but I would have expected a bit more from a clone of an RWS 350. True it is a new rifle with no break in, still would have thought that big powerplant would push the FTs well into the 900s.

How is the cocking effort, trigger and shot cycle?
The current stable, (arsenal, quiver?): BSA Lightning XL .177, BSA Sportsman HV .22, BSA Ultra .177, CZ634 .177, Daystate Harrier X .177, TAU 200 Senior .177, HW 97 .177, HW 50s .177, HW 30 .177, RWS 92 .177, Gamo 126 MC Super, Gamo Big Cat .177, AR2078A, QB78 .177, Quest 1000 .177, Beeman SS650 .177., Beeman P17 .177.

Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

Re: BAM B-28 .177 cal.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 02:39:02 AM »
I sat quietly for a few months waiting for the first review on this gun.  In the mean time I ordered two different Gamos for the boys.  I fell in love with the weight and looks of the Gamos and quiickly forgot about the Chinese offering.  Unlike PeakChick and being a man, I've always liked power... aaargh growl...  Even knowing that speed or power causes issues, whether it be pellets going astray or cops pulling me over, I still like the power.  Hopefully further and more extensive reviews will prove the B-28 to be the perfect compromise between power and the almighty $$$.

Offline daved

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 04:47:35 AM »
I've gotta agree with Stephanie here, I got higher numbers  with my old .177 CFX.  And considering that the 350 I had shot higher velocities with a .22, BAM is going to need to back off their claims of a super magnum, even taking into account a fresh out of the box rifle.  Maybe it's just undersprung?  BTW, how were the cocking and firing cycles?  That 350 was pretty violent, even after I tore it down and lubed it.  And you'd start feeling it in the shoulder after only 30 to 40 shots, both cocking effort and recoil.  Later.

Dave

Offline DEALERMAN

• GTA Donations
    • http://www.impactairgun.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 08:45:25 AM »
Update to our previous.

I would rate the cocking effort a 7 - 8 out of 10, as compared to lets say a Beeman RX2 at near 40 lbs., this 36 lbs. was manageable.  The consistency of the cocking action was quickly learned and as many of your are aware, you get to know how each of your rifle cocks after a few sessions. I could get used to this one with ease.

The shooting cycle I would compare more to the RWS 34, maybe slightly more action but not much more. As I think about the 350 Mag, my shoulder would be feeling it after a 50 round session, and after doing all the shooting here with the B-28 (est 55 -- 60 shots) I could keep on shooting.  I would agree to that after some break in period, one could expect a bit more velocity. I also need to remind myself that like most manufactures, BAM no different, are testing these rifles with the lightest possible lead or PBA to establish mv.

Lastly, the trigger seamed smooth but has some room for improvement. Maybe a better lube here alone may offer some benefit without tearing down and doing any fine polish work. Not a Reckord, that is for sure! We did not make any adjustment to the trigger.

Lastly not mentioned previous, the stock lacks a bit in finish. The checkering is very blah. This one looked like the kids in the shop class in high school had just completed. We would give the detail of the stock 4 out of 10. Over all the stock is OK at best. Matches the price point I guess.
Kevin Barthel
Impact Air Gun, Inc.
aka: Dealerman
kevin@impactairgun.com

Offline daved

So would it be fair to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 09:08:14 AM »
That this is a 350 clone in looks only?  Not a bad thing in itself, the 350 is definitely a classy looking rifle.  But if it's anywhere near as long a stroke as the 350, even without the power, it's probably going to be pretty hold sensitive.  At least, that's what I'd expect.  Thanks for the info.

Dave