Author Topic: First 20 caliber Shadow test.  (Read 4529 times)

First 20 caliber Shadow test.
« on: June 28, 2006, 12:01:11 PM »
Well the first day of playing with the .20 Shadow is done.
Here are the results of them and also some pictures of the conversion.

I had to open up the choke on the barrel a bit to get it to group, but I was expecting this because it was very tight, this reduced the Fps to 756 fps average down from the 780's when I first tested the combo out. It still is a 18 fpe rifle and the way it shoots I couldn't ask for a better combo. “Check the targets” This is from  sitting in a kitchen chair and my left hand resting on an old camera tripod with a sponge taped on the top.  â€œDoesn’t hurt my hand with the sponge on top”.  

This is with 14.3 gr. Benjamin Cylinders. I just got back from wallyworld and picked up some copperhead round nose at 14.3 grs. Also, I need to buy a selection for 20 pellets to try “pyramid air here I come”.  

First was getting the barrel blued and reassembling the rifle. If anyone has ever used cold a bluing process the key to getting good results is Polish, Polish, Polish the metal.. It comes out close to a hot blue finish.

I included a few pictures of the old and new barrels and a picture of the finished rifle.

I might make a Muzzle brake for it but haven’t decided yet. Anyway the pictures explain  themselves.  Tomorrow I am going to check around here and see if I can find some different pellets to try, and next week the springs and seals should be here from JM. So I can hopefully pep it up some  more . The rifle is still using the stock spring.  Will install custom  spring guides and spacers when I tear it down for a real tune up.

I am a very good shot , not to brag, but have been shooting rifles of all kinds, since the 7th grade  competition rim fire days  many, many years ago. I  even got to spend a day shooting a  .50 cal target rifle a few years ago, now that was FUN.  

Will keep you up to date on the next trial of the .20  Shadow

Later Rich.

RE: First 20 caliber Shadow test.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 02:05:56 PM »
That is cool.  I would like to do the same to my Gamo 1250.

Where does a person get the barrels?  Sorry I am new to airgunning.

Mike

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 03:49:57 PM »
Very nice, love that cold blue steel. Looks like it shoots better as the yrd's progress,tight groups. Would not expect anything less from the pdragin man. :) Were you working on some superman breach seals ?. Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 09:06:25 AM »
What caliber was the barrel you took off, I'm interested in getting a .22 cal. for a Gamo 890. Where can I find barrels for the Gamo's ? Do you have to do any machining in order to fit the new barrel to the gun ?

That is a very nice looking rifle, I hope you get it shooting the way you want.

Bill