Author Topic: Just bought a Crosman 1377  (Read 34968 times)

Just bought a Crosman 1377
« on: August 31, 2006, 12:23:06 AM »
Group:

I was at the local big-box sporting goods store and they had a sale on the Crosman 1377. That, plus a gift certificate, meant I walked out of the door with little out-of pocket expense to purchase.

I made the purchase on Friday. Later than evening, the wife and kids and I made the trip to our hunting camp, arriving at about 10 am. The plan was to get up and out before the crack of dawn to take a crack at some bunnies, but I was too wacked to get out of the rack.

Instead, I slept in, had a nice breakfast, cleaned the bore of my new pistola, and commenced to shoot it.

First impression? The fake woodgrain plastic grip and forearm/pump handle make the thing look cheezy. Why not use some sort of plain black plastic? Or, better yet, how about real wood?

Second impression: The back sight -indeed the entire breech, seems to have been installed "off center" so that when aiming, the rear sight top isn't flat, but slopes instead at an angle from right to left. This makes the sight picture rather, uh, unpicturesque.

Pumping the thing was fairly easy. Effort seemed even across all ten strokes.

I liked the balance of the pistol, as well as the fit of the grip. It LOOKS like an ungainly handful. It feels sort of like my old Beretta 92F that I used back in my law enforcement days in terms of balance in the hand. I like that feeling.

But I really liked the results. In fact, I was pretty shocked by them. Frankly, I didn't expect much, so the pistol didn't have to perform very high to meet my admittedly low expectations. It exceeded them handily.

First, there is the trigger. The pull is too heavy, measuring 6.33 pounds. But it is a crisp trigger, with a very predictable let-off, almost no creep, and very little over-travel. If it didn't take so much force, it would be an absolute joy to use.

Next is the velocity. They aren't kidding about 600 ft/s. Not one bit. At 5450' in elevation, 80 degrees F., and 15% relative humidity, I got the following.

Beeman Lasers: 592 ft/s
Gamo Match: 605 ft/s
Beeman Wal Mart Wadcutters: 590
Beeman Wal Mart Hollow Points: 610
Gamo Magnum Pointed: 540
Crosman Pointed (new tin graphics, pellets look like Copperhead Points, only much prettier and uniform in size): 595

Finally, accuracy........

My P-3 is one ragged hole at 10 meters. Depending on the pellets used, this Crosman pumper wasn't too shabby in the accuracy department. At 5 pumps with Gamo Match, it would shoot .25 to .30, whereas the P-3 is more like .20 all the time.

At 25 yards, I used the full 10 pumps on B-25 combat pistol targets and obliterated the X ring with the Crosman Pointed 7.9's. The pistol shot these VERY well. Well enough, in fact, for me to wack empty 12 gauge shotgun shells at 20 yards with impunity.

It did not shoot the Gamo Magnums well at all, with about 3" at 25 yards being the best I could them to group. But then, they don't shoot that slick out my wife's GAMO Shadow, either. They do shoot fantastic out of the P-3, but I digress...........

With power at P-1 levels, and accuracy levels high enough to reward one for good form and humble one without it, this is quite a pistol for the money.

It must have impressed me, as I would up shooting over 1,000 pellets through on it's "maiden outing." It even dispatched a rattlesnake at 15 yards with a Crosman Pointed to the head, when said snake strayed into the "no snake zone." On my 20 acres, it's live and let live as far as snakes go for 19 of those acres. But on the single acre that my kids play on, it's instant death.

In closing, I was very pleasantly surprised at how much fun the pistol proved to be, and how much pistol it seems to be for the $50.00 standard price that most outlets charge for one.

For paper at 10 meters, the P-3 is tough to beat. But for soda cans at 25 yards, or metallic silhoutes, the added punch of nearly 200 ft/s more velocity really adds to the plinking experience. Were it legal here in California, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot cottontails with the thing at out to, say, 20 yards or so, particularly with the Crosman Pointed pellets.

All in all, a lot of fun. And, to me at least, well worth the price.

Those plastic peewood grips, however, really gotta go. They totally hoark the good vibe and seriously detract from pride of ownership.

-JP

RE: Just bought a Crosman 1377
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 05:33:10 PM »
Nice review and information. I'll add what I have found.

I bought a 1377C out of renewed interest and nostalgia, from using my dad's Crosman wood handled 130, which still works, though, sounds like it needs lubed, because of how little air moves from 10 pumps.

Anyhow, I just received today, the Shoulder stock (part number: 1399, through the Accessories section of their website)

Yesterday, I received a replacement Pump Handle, in black (part number: 1389-010), 2 Set Pins for said Pump Handle (part number: 1300-009 [1 each]), a Right Hand Pistol Grip, in black (part number: 151-019), Left Hand Pistol Grip (part number: 151-020) and two Pistol Grip Screws (part number: 105-054 [1 each]).

The Pump Handle is thicker, contoured and black, originally being mounted on the Crosman 2289. If you do a search, you can see pictures of it.

I bought two sets of everything, since a friend bought a 1377C as well, the same day. He had at one time, at Crosman 1322 Pump Pistol, so his was also a nostalgia type purchase, plus to have something to shoot with the rest of us, that was inexpensive. The two shoulder stocks were about $54 after tax and shipping. The two sets of pump handles, right and left pistol grips, screws and set pins were about $33 after tax and shipping. Both took one week to arrive from the time I submitted the order via the website for the stocks and via phone, for the "Replacement Parts" order.

I’ve also painted the front sight, the part facing the rear sight, a fluorescent yellow, with a couple layers of Glo-It Luminescent Paint, with a couple clear coats on top of that, which really helps with eye relief on the front sight. I would like to get a real Truglo sight for it, if I can find, fit, craft something to work. For now, all is good. I am able to hit spinners at 100 feet that are less then 1” in diameter, repeatedly, sometimes 3 or 4 out of 5 shots, while using bench to rest my trigger hand, and my offhand holding under original pump handle.

With the shoulder stock, it seems rock stable, even more so then bench resting and supporting the front under the pump handle, so we’ll see how it does this weekend.

The new pump handle is larger and helps prevent my pump hand from getting caught between the handle and the trigger guard. All the parts look nice, too. I may order the steel breech kit next, but, I have already spend almost as much on parts, as the air gun itself, so I held back for now. I don't intend to Scope at the moment, so all is good.

I have noticed velocities of around 550 FPS at 1000 feet above sea level, with Crosman Premier Lights, 7.9 gr, at ten pumps. I was able to get 200 FPS at one pump and lob pellets down range, 100 feet, to bounce off the backstop or shake, maybe knock over, some pop cans setup on the back stop, which causes me to laugh each time. You have to aim high, but, that's half the fun, actually hitting something with so little power. Three pumps, the recommended minimum, gets, from what I recall, around 325 to 350 FPS.

FYI. Contact with Crosman is best done by phone. I have yet to receive any reply to e-mail requests, either directly or through their online submission page, that were sent over two weeks ago with questions on how to order replacement parts. Contact via phone was a good experience, though. I used my cell phone, so, it basically cost me only time that I would normally be at work. It was quick; the Crosman representative was courteous and very helpful.

I've also had a lot of fun with my 1377C as well, sometimes shooting it more often, through a day of shooting, then my Gamo Viper. My poor Shadow has been barely used and sits black in envy in it's hard case.

Laters,
Tim

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 10:54:51 PM »
Congrat's on your NEW pistola Jerrold, I've heard nothing but good thing's about them and for the price it's a good investment. There are a lot of upgrades for them also. Theres a few member's here that make some extra's for them, wood grip's and pump handles by (bullseye) aka Mike and Gene makes brakes for the barrel. Gene jump in and show off your 1377 buddy. :) Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline vinceb

• http://
Did you ever try the Marksman 2004 or Beeman P17?
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 04:42:25 AM »
Those are the Chinese versions of the P3, and a heckuva lot cheaper. A number of shooters have said that they're almost as good.

Offline PeakChick

RE: Did you ever try the Marksman 2004 or Beeman P17?
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 09:22:48 AM »
I have a Beeman P17. I am amazed at the capability of this pistol for the price. Good balance in the hand, the trigger is awsome, and the gun is more accurate than I am. The sights are a tad coarse, particulary the very thick front post, but that is just nit picking. It is a bit heavy cocking, 28lbs on the down stroke when it cocks. But, you only cock it once per shot. Rated at 400-420 fps., who cares, it's enough to take a grackle @ 10 yds, I have.  As you will read in many reviews, the two pins at the rear of the "slide" one is the locking pin, the other the pin for the "Hammer" have a tendency to drift out a bit. Mine have doen this a couple of times. I just push them back in with a drift pin or screw driver, and they can be "set" with a bit of locktite or other adhesive. Not a big problem for me, only happened a couple of times and they only drifted out a small amount.

I highly recommend this pistol for a fun, accurate plinker.

The current stable, (arsenal, quiver?): BSA Lightning XL .177, BSA Sportsman HV .22, BSA Ultra .177, CZ634 .177, Daystate Harrier X .177, TAU 200 Senior .177, HW 97 .177, HW 50s .177, HW 30 .177, RWS 92 .177, Gamo 126 MC Super, Gamo Big Cat .177, AR2078A, QB78 .177, Quest 1000 .177, Beeman SS650 .177., Beeman P17 .177.

Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 10:11:25 AM »
I bought a new Beeman P17 about 2 months ago and it's been a real joy to shoot. I know it's a Chinese clone, nevertheless, the quality seems quite good and the trigger is superb. For less than $40 shipped, I think the P17 falls into the "best buy" category.

I am also interested in purchasing a Crosman 1377 in the near future.  From what I read, there are numerous parts available for enhancing its performance.  I particularly like the laminated replacement forestock pump handle and pistol grip from these guys:

http://www.rbgrips.net/index.html

Offline kirby999

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 02:05:41 PM »
I agree , I have the Marksman 2004 and haven't had any problems so far. Nice gun for the money . Mine chronies right at 400 fps.  with RWS basics. Great bumble bee gun.  kirby
\" Shooting PCP\'s; I sometimes miss that  unmistakable smell of a springer . \"

Re: Just bought a Crosman 1377
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 01:15:22 AM »
Hey catbird... where did you find that pistola at?

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 11:08:33 AM »
eighty8fierogt - 7/3/2007  9:15 AM

Hey catbird... where did you find that pistola at?

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

Offline airgunguy

• GTA Donations
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 10:31:20 AM »
Great thread. I sell a front hood for that fits the 1322/ 1377 pistol and many other crosman guns and many airguns in general. I can email a pic of the one i put on my 1377. I also make holsters for the 1322 / 1377 pistol and sell extra light trigger spirng for them to make the shooting experience much more pleasureable. email me: l o t u s o f a s i a @ h o t m a i l . c o m

Offline airgunguy

• GTA Donations
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 10:36:07 AM »
1322 1377 review

I love these pistols and have many.
I rubberize the plastic grip parts, install one of my ultra light trigger springs for a light 1 lb. trigger pull , add a 1/2 inch wide trigger shoe and i also make a front sight hood shroud for the front blade sight to keep the sun glare off (my hood shrouds fit all Crosman guns and many other guns as well.  I also make holsters for these long 1322 / 1377 pistols. I sell these custom parts regularly to anyone who would like to buy them. Make the gun operate beautifully! Just email me if you want to see some pics and to buy. l o t u s o f a s i a @ h o t m a i l . c o m

Offline airgunguy

• GTA Donations
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 10:38:53 AM »
I sell a front sight hood shroud that fitls these pistols.
Email me for a pic and to buy. l o t u s o f a s i a @ h o t m a i l . c o m

Offline LongIslandArcher

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 06:29:01 PM »
I filed a groove into the front blade of my 1377C and glued a 1/2" long piece of .040" optical fiber to it.  I also replaced the breech and bolt with the upgraded blued steel one from Crosman.  It does shoot sweet and accurate.