Author Topic: Walther CP99 Compact BB Pistol  (Read 2465 times)

Walther CP99 Compact BB Pistol
« on: May 13, 2008, 06:48:19 PM »
This past Christmas, I received a Walther CP99 Compact BB pistol along with two spare magazines.  My first impression of the pistol was it felt like the real thing (though I have never held or fired a 'real' pistol).  It is heavy!  But not too heavy, just sturdy and rugged.  The slide is all metal, and most of the outer body is plastic.  The pistol is blowback action, so the slide jolts backwards each time you fire, cocking the gun for your next shot.  

The pistol is utter fun.  It takes maybe a minute to fill three magazines with 19 bb's and only a few seconds to install a co2 cartridge.  One feature I like is both the co2 knob and the magazine 'blend in' to the gun, no extra knobs or parts sticking out.  The gun will shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger.  

I like the how the safety works.  Instead of simply blocking the trigger from being pulled, the safety keeps the trigger movable but pulling the trigger doesn't fire the gun.  Also, if the gun is already cocked, which is indicated by a red dot on the hammer, putting the safety on de-cocks the gun without firing.  

The accuracy is OK.  It is definitely good enough for casual plinking, shooting overgrown cactus or plinking tin cans from about 10 yards away.  The sights aren't adjustable but they seem to be pretty accurately zeroed.  

If you do buy one of these, stock up on co2 and bb's.  I'm almost half way through my second box of 40 co2 containers, and it's only been five months.  

Oh, and I believe you get a free DVD with the gun no matter where you purchase it from.  I highly recommend you watch the 'action' movie.  It is HILARIOUS.  I don't think it was meant to be that way, though.  Quick storyline - Lizard, a special op guy is notified that he has a task, while he is busy playing around in a zero gravity plane.  He proceeds to parachute into work and is briefed on the CP99.  Then he infiltrates some place and I don't remember what he was trying to accomplish.  But it was funny.  

Good points -
Appearance and feel.  
Reliable, I've shot probably close to 5,000 shots and the gun still works perfectly.  
FUN, this gun is fun to shoot.  Just shooting at the ground is a blast.  
Price, for less than $100 you get an amazingly durable and well built pistol.
Decent number of shots, with Hawaii's temperatures hovering around 70-80's I can go through about 7 or 8 magazines, or almost 150 bb's before the blowback stops cocking the gun

Bad points-
None without nitpicking
Plastic trigger?
Non-adjustable sights, but this isn't a target pistol.