Author Topic: BSA Lightning XL Review  (Read 6324 times)

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
BSA Lightning XL Review
« on: February 17, 2008, 06:50:30 AM »

First off I would like to thank many of you for your experiences with various makes and models of air rifles. I have only been shooting air rifles now for just over 3 years. Without the GTA and many of you well seasoned air gunners, I would have missed out on many great air rifles. I have learned it is not how cheap or expensive an air gun is but how it feels and shoots for you. With that said thank you all for your great reviews and personal objective points made about all the different air guns….J

Now for the good stuff..J … Yesterday as I mentioned in the Bargain Gate that Roger Daley had called me with a great sale at Sportsman’s Warehouse in Columbia S.C. It is about 100 miles from my houseto there. But I had called the store up and found that they had the BSA Lightning XL on sale and an additional 10% off over the weekend. So I high tailed it down there and found the air rifle that I had been wanting for almost 2 years. When Peak Chick bought hers I was very envious and cried for days.. hehe

When I got home last night I mounted an accushot one-piece medium mount on her. I put on the new BSA 3-12X44 AO TT scope. I must add that I used blue Loctite on the mounting screws on the doves tail. This morning I got up early and headed out to the shop where I do all my shooting from. I set up my first target at 20 yards and sighted the scope in. Just a few clicks up and a couple to the right and she was making one hole penetration. Now I moved my target stand back to the 45 yard zone where I do most of my paper shooting. Had to adjust scope down 6 or 8 clicks to get her on the spot again.

I am putting up a picture of the target from where I shoot and a close up of the hits. I shot 15 pellets per bulls. So my first pellet used was the JSB Exact at position #5 on the target. I then moved to CP’s at position #3. Then Beeman FTS position #6, Then Gamo Tomahawks position #2. Then Gamo Hunter’s position #4 and last RWS Superdomes position #1.

They all did well except for the RWS Superdomes and the spread was large. I was getting tired after so maybe it was just me..J .. The BSA Lightning is not as pellets sensitive as allot of my air rifles. And a few of my Gamo Air Rifles love the superdomes… So go figure..J

Before I set up for the chrony test I adjusted the trigger, tightened the stock screws along with running swabs through the barrel till they came out clean. Then I put about 100 pellets through her just shooting at trees n stuff..J

Now I set up the chrony to determine how much BSA fudged on the projected or advertised FPS. As with the HW 50 and the CZ 634, the did a good job and did not lie one bit..J In fact they rate the BSA Lightning XL .177 at 900 fps. I used Gamo Hunters and was getting between 940 and 950. That was with a 10 shot count. I was surprised and pleased to see this, because new are rifles are generally not consistent. And numbers from a new air rifle are not always what they will be after a 1000 shots or so.

Now for the fit and finish with shot and cocking cycle and trigger. First of all the BSA Lightning has a very short cocking cycle. Second there is absolutely no spring noise what so ever. This is the first springer I have owned that did not have at least some spring twang. Firing cycle is quick and blunt. There is a bit of recoil but not much more than the HW 50 I own and less than the RWS series 34 and 36 air rifles. The trigger can be adjusted to fit your tastes. I managed to adjust the trigger to exactly how I like it by only adjusting the adjustment screw. Now for the wood..J I did not get a beauty queen..J Although the wood is very nice, does not have the quality of grain that I have seen in other BSA Lightning XL’s But I am very pleased with the fact that it had no dings or marks anywhere on the wood. The bluing is dark and deep blue and evenly applied. The barrel shroud/brake is very nice and makes for cocking much easier. The BSA Lightning XL is a very short springer and probably the shortest air rifle than I own now. The cocking cycle is very very smooth and around 35 to 40 lbs. This is mainly due to the fact that it is a very short barrel.

The BSA Lightning XL is a KEEPER..J In my opinion she is one of the most comfortable shooting springers that I now own. If I had started out with the BSA Lightning XL, as my first air rifle, I do not think I would have as many air rifles as I have now..J… But I do love all my other air rifles and they all have there own characteristics and shooting applications.

Here are some pics of her with scope and the targets I shot today for you to see the difference in pellet placement by brands.

Gene

THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline PeakChick

• http://
RE: BSA Lightning XL Review
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 07:03:43 AM »
Very nice review Gene. I'm glad you were able to pick up a Lightning, and especially for such a very good deal. Your review is spot on for how these little carbines shoot and perform. The power is amazing in such a short action. The accuracy on my lightning is virtual lazer beam spot on. The firing cycle rivals a tuned gun out of the box. The most amazing thing, for me, is the ergonomics. My Lightning fits me better than any other rifle I own. It is such a great combination, the ultimate hunter carbine.
btw, as for the wood on yours, it is a nice field grade of beech and they use very good quality wood. You gun has the older style checkering on it and the lighter stain that BSA used in the past. The newer stock has French basketweave checkering and a darker walnut stain.
I know that my Lightning XL is the one rifle, (well OK, there are 3 others :) ) that I would never sell.
The current stable, (arsenal, quiver?): BSA Lightning XL .177, BSA Sportsman HV .22, BSA Ultra .177, CZ634 .177, Daystate Harrier X .177, TAU 200 Senior .177, HW 97 .177, HW 50s .177, HW 30 .177, RWS 92 .177, Gamo 126 MC Super, Gamo Big Cat .177, AR2078A, QB78 .177, Quest 1000 .177, Beeman SS650 .177., Beeman P17 .177.

Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

Offline Big_Bill

• http://
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 11:28:14 AM »

Great Review Gene,

I had no idea that you had a short list with the BSA Lightning XL on it. ;)

I didn't think that you would be able to put her down this soon, not long enough to write a review ! :)

Best of luck with your new sweetheart !!

Bill

Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 12:40:13 PM »
Yes great review buddy and the lightning is fine looking shooter. 8)  From your reveiw I think it would make for a good hunter and it's been on my wish list after Peak's review on it. I got one of my wish shooter's, 1250.22 from you :) and what a shooter she is. The list doesn't end does it lol. Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com