Author Topic: Guide Gear Laser Sight and Light  (Read 6074 times)

Offline longislandhunter

• http://
Guide Gear Laser Sight and Light
« on: November 27, 2006, 07:04:31 AM »
The laser sight/light combo I ordered arrived.  It's marketed under the name "Guide Gear" by Sportsmans Guide, but it's actually manufactured by BSA.  The unit comes with all the batteries needed for operation and is very easy to assemble. At first glance it's a very compact unit, very easy to set up and install and seems very well built.  

I haven't mounted it on my rifle yet, plan on doing that in the next day or so, but last night at work I was testing out the laser and the light operation.  The laser projects a nice red beam with a consistant red dot on target and is activated by either pressing a small button located on the rear of the unit or by use of the pressure sensitive switch that comes with the unit.  

I was especially concerned that the lighting unit might not throw enough light to actually be useful for night hunting, but that concern was dispelled the second I activated the unit.  The light functions in the same manner as the laser, utilizing either the built in button or you can attach the pressure sensitive switch/chord that comes with the unit.   I was really impressed with the amount of light this unit puts out.  It actually put out a stronger beam of light than the tactical shooting light that I keep on my belt while working (which cost much more than this laser light combo did).  

I plan on installing it on my rifle (have to decide which one) in the next day or so and then do some shooting with it.  After I get a chance to test it out further I'll post my full review,,,, but so far I'm satisified with the way the unit functions.  Of course we'll see what happens when it's exposed to the recoil of the springer I mount it on.  

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Offline longislandhunter

RE: Guide Gear Laser Sight and Light
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 11:02:11 AM »
Well, I had some free time today so I installed and set up the laser and light combo on my synthetic stocked Winchester 1000 .177  It installed in just a few minutes and works like a charm.  The only thing you have to watch for is to make sure you have enough clearance for the light and laser units to fit between the scopes vertical adjustment knob and the front of the scope where the tube flares out.  The position of the front scope mounting ring will determine if you have enough clearance.  I almost had to move my front ring back a bit but wound up I had just enough clearance for the rig to work.  Two piece rings definately make mounting this unit on your gun much easier than a 1 piece mount might be simply because you can control the distance between the rings to allow for the clearance needed by the light/laser units.

After I got it all tightened down I went out to the backyard, set up my shooting bench at 25 yards, and proceeded to sight in the laser.  Took 5 shots resulting in a ragged hole in the center of the bullseye, then made a couple of small windage and elevation adjustments on the laser with the allen wrench and brought the laser dot right onto the middle of the pellet group.  I was done.    

Spent about 30 minutes target shooting, alternating between using the scope crosshairs and just the laser,,,, dang that red dot works well :)  

Just pointing the rifle using the laser I was able to hit the mark every time.  Granted my accuracy is much finer using the scope crosshairs due to the aide of the increased magnification, but just using the laser my accuracy was without a doubt good enough to hit a rabbit, squirrel or raccoon every time.  

After 30 minutes of shooting the laser was still zero'd in and the projection point of the dot hadn't moved at all.  I waited until dark and then went outside and tested out the light.  I was interested to see if it would throw enough light for me to use the scope crosshairs in the dark.  Pointed the gun at a tree 20 yards away, activated the light and looked throught the scope.  I could clearly see the tree and the crosshairs with no problem at all.  The light really does throw a powerful beam of light.  So far I'm very satisfied with the unit and can't wait to take it out for it's first night hunt at the duck farm.  If I get in a night hunt this week I'll post the results.  Good shooting all....

Jeff

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: Guide Gear Laser Sight and Light
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 12:13:59 PM »
Hi Dave

I read where the red dot is goof for 500 yards which is much further than we shoot our pellet rifles but the article did not say anything about how far out the flash light shined. Could you include the distance of useable light in your review please. It would be cool if ya could see out to 50 - 60 yards or so...:)

Thank you

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline longislandhunter

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 01:05:49 PM »
Hey Gene,

I'm at work right now so can't do it tonight, but tomorrow night I'll make it a point to test out the light at various distances and get a definitive idea as to effective shooting range with the light.  Like I said in my post, at 20 yards it was great, judging by the intesity of the light I wouldn't be surprised if 40 yards would be just as good, but I'll let you know for sure tomorrow night.  

Jeff

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 03:49:07 PM »
FYI: Light is a wave and as such will be half as bright at twice the distance.  ie......1000 lumens at 10 yards will be 500 lumens at 5 yards.

Offline longislandhunter

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 01:27:01 PM »
Well, I just finished  testing the light in my back yard in total darkness. I did encounter 1 problem that  I know is effecting my results, that is the fact that the front sight on the rifle is creating a small reflection when I sight through the scope which is effecting the clarity of the image, but even with this inconvienance the  results are pretty good.  The unit projects enough light to clearly  identify and shoot at a target out to 35 yards.  40 yards is the farthest distance I have available in my yard, and at that distance I could still make out the target and take a shot, but the reflection caused by the front sight  created more problems as the distance to the target increased.  I removed the fiber optic rod in the front sight, and this made the reflection less pronounced, but even with the rod removed the beam of light hitting the  front sight still effects the scope image.  But,,, even with the adverse effect caused by the front sight reflection I could still easily see and sight on the target.  If I remove the front sight it will greatly improve the sighting picture through the scope and  should make the light unit function even better.  Now I just have to figure out how to get the front sight off.    

30 to 35 yards (maybe even 40 with the front sight removed) is perfectly fine for the type of shooting I will be doing witht he setup so I'm satisfied with the purchase.  I think it will work out fine for my night time duck farm shooting outings.  Heck, most of my shots will probably be 30 yards and less most of the time.  

I also discovered that using the light and the laser at the same time definately enhanced the sighting picture through the scope with regard to crosshair placement.  Since the laser is already sighted in for my gun/scope, when you look throught he scope the red dot is firmly planted right in the middle of the crosshairs.  This makes placing the crosshairs on your designated aiming point much easier while using the light.  

If I can get the front sight removed I'll retest the unit and post how much (if any) improvement is noticed.  

Jeff