Author Topic: Supreme Court Decision this AM  (Read 1172 times)

Offline TCups

• http://
Supreme Court Decision this AM
« on: June 26, 2008, 03:34:33 AM »
US citizens came within one vote of losing the right to possess handguns.  In a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court struck down the law banning handgun possession in Washington, DC.  Said US citizens have the constitutional right to possess fully functional handguns in their homes for personal protection.  While that is good news, we could be but one liberal judicial appointment away from a 5-4 decision the other way. Whereupon, individuals would have lost the explicit Constitutional right to possess a handgun..  Think about it.  Maybe the next few gun purchases need to be something other than air guns.

Offline Progun

• http://comcast
Re: Supreme Court Decision this AM
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 05:22:50 AM »
RIGHT-ON Tommy. Better get'em while you can.The political winds being what they are and Supreme Court Justices  age 75 or so means it won't be long before new appointments will be made.Work(and plan) as if everything depends on you.Pray as if everything depends on God.

Offline Izzie45895

RE: Supreme Court Decision this AM
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 08:11:59 AM »
Tommy,
I'm not a politian(thank goodness) and I'm sure not an attorney(I want to go to heaven), but here's what a guy on the green had to say about this subject:

"Even if this reemerges in the courts (if my memory serves)( correct me if I am wrong) I think only the House and the Congress together along with President approval (no veto) is the only way that this decision can be over turned . This decision also defines that the Bill of Rights in whole is an individuals ( law abiding US people) Bill of Rights. To over turn this decision would mean that the bill of rights in whole would have to be rewritten. I don't think they can keep questing the meaning of the Bill of Rights and ask the court to interpret it until Liberals get their way. This ruling is final, end of story. This means that City, County, and State bans on the sale and Lawful possession of Power burners, Air guns, knives, bow and arrows, sticks, etc (along with the other rights set forth in the Bill of Rights) are unfounded and to be unconstitutional."

Any one here study constitutional law? Anybody know how easy/difficult it would be to overturn this decision?

Iz

Offline PryorDaniel

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 09:13:56 AM »
I know back in high school I was told that to go against the Bill of Rights is the closest thing to impossible. If I remember correctly, the people (all U.S. citizens) would have to vote on it. I would have to agree with the guy who said this is final.

Offline TCups

RE: Supreme Court Decision this AM
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 01:36:52 PM »
It is naive to think that the Supreme Court cannot and historically does not reverse it's prior decisions.  Unfortunately, the Supreme Court has morphed into something it was never intended to be. It has usurped unchecked powers over the rights of US citizens and lawmakers that  the court was never intended to have. One of the cornerstones of our "Bill of Rights" came within a single vote of demise today.  Don't think that gunowners have missed the bullet.  People on the opposite side of the agenda tend to keep pulling the trigger.  The right to legal abortion on demand being a perfect example here.

Again, you don't have to be a lawyer to read Robert Bork's two excellent books:  The Tempting of America - on Constitutional Law, and: Slouching Towards Gomorra - on the liberal egalitarian agenda of the left and what it means long-term for American society.  The latter was so well written and is so profound an insight, that I bought 3 copies, had Robert Bork himself sign each, and gave one to each of my three kids to read and think about.  No wonder the liberals went apoplectic when Ron Regan (God rest his soul!) nominated Robert Bork.

Young Master Adam, my youngest, has just graduated from a here unnamed, but highly regarded college in the NE.  He is a government major.  In one of his senior classes, this very case (then upcoming case) was put on a mock Supreme Court Trial with members of his class of 2008 serving as the attorneys arguing for and against, the 9 judges hearing the arguments, and a "jury" of sorts that also voted and commented on the case.  Being probably only one of a handful of conservatives and the only South Carolinian, Adam took the pro-2nd amendment stance as one of the "attorneys" arguing the case.  He lost.  His classmate judges ruled unanimously (and voted overwhelmingly) that in the modern era, the government should have the right to restrict hand gun ownership.  Teach your children well . . .

I was very proud of him, though.  His arguments were right on the money Constitutionally, in the strict sense.  And he also came up with a pretty interesting secondary argument regarding "Eminent Domain and Due Process" in the 14th amendment:  If you know legally own firearms as "property" and the government lawfully "condemns and seizes" that property, then the government is liable to pay the property owner a fair market value for same, just as if they now buy your land to build a new highway.  A sound constitutional argument can be made that should the our government one day succeed (as I fear they will) in outlawing and seizing our property - weapons acquired and  heretofore legally owned, then government would have to pay gun owners for them.  

How much comfort does that give you?  Probably about as much comfort as you can take from today's decision, presuming one supports the right of an individual to legally possess a firearm.

Posted this earlier, but it is worth re-posting:
How Long Do We Have?

About the time our original thirteen states adopted their new constitution in 1787, Alexander Tyler, a Scottish ?history professor at the University of Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years earlier:? 'A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government.' ?'A democracy will continue ?to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury.' ?'From that moment on, ?the majority always vote for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.' 'The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years.' 'During ?those 200 years, those nations always progressed through the following ?sequence:??

1. ?From bondage to spiritual faith
2. ?From ?spiritual faith to great courage
3. ?From courage to ?liberty
4. ?From liberty to abundance
5. ?From abundance to ?complacency
6. ?From complacency to apathy
7. ?From apathy to ?dependence
8. ?From dependence back into bondage?

Some feel that the United States is now somewhere between the 'complacency and apathy' phase of professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with about forty percent of the nation's population already having reached the 'governmental dependency' phase.

Thomas Jefferson was probably right about the need for periodic revolutions in a democracy.

Offline Machinist

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 07:12:20 PM »
Tom:
Obviously young Adam has not only education but also wisdom.
If wisdom were an animal it would be on the endangered species list.
Mike
Life Member - NRA & NMLRA