Author Topic: First Air Rifle for a woman to shoot wascally wabbits???  (Read 18944 times)

Offline ac12basis

• http://
RE: Daisy used to sell sight sets. Might find some for the 853.
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2008, 05:00:28 PM »
I emailed Daisy about an XS40 rear sight a while back, and they did not carry it any more   :-(

I understand the stock 853 rear sight has a lot of slop in the mechanism, that w/o a rebuild can be a PiA to use.

Offline 3n00n

The 853 rear group I have is very tight.
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 05:22:52 PM »
Slightlylower profile than I prefer, but no 'motion' in the knobs, locks or aperture.
Alot of plastic bothers some people, but I personally don't mind.
If I did, I'd have to toss out the Walther LGR;as it has a plastic in the sights,butt plate, compression handle,trigger and trigger guard.

Offline ac12basis

RE: The 853 rear group I have is very tight.
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 06:06:53 PM »
Interesting, because what I've been reading on Targettalk is the 853 sights from China, not the Gamo made sights, have binding and or slop in the mechanism.
Maybe worth another email to Daisy.

Offline 3n00n

Don't know country of origin.
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2008, 06:31:17 PM »
Doesn't have a 'made in' label anywhereon it, but I thoughtmost 853 {and otherDaisy}parts were US madethen primarily North America {Canada, Mexico, US} assembled. Might have heard something wrong, but I can try to remember to ask.

Offline ac12basis

RE: Don't know country of origin.
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2008, 07:19:37 PM »
Here are the current rear sights off the Pyramid site

for the 853 (and I think this is the one that comes with the 853)
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/accessory.pl?accessory_id=320
The reports are that these have particularly bad slop.

for the Avanti XS40
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/accessory.pl?accessory_id=1212
The early models were from Gamo in Spain, the later/current ones are from China and were not made w the same precision as the Spanish ones.

The sight on your Walther does not look like either of them.

Offline jcando

• GTA Donations
RE: First Air Rifle for a woman to shoot wascally wabbits???
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 12:35:55 PM »
Hi and thanks for responding!  Sorry I haven't checked earlier....my husband is a brain tumor survivor and he needed me.  I have zero experience except that my neighbor brought over his beeman spring rifle yesterday!  Showed me how to use it and I can practice with it for a few days.  I find it a bit heavy and was thinking that perhaps I should consider a "sporter air rifle"?

Offline jcando

• GTA Donations
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 12:42:26 PM »
Hey Jeff....thanks for your response.  Long Island?  I'm originally from Rhode Island.  Anyway, thanks for the recommendation, sure looks nice and I'll be sure to check out its weight as I have my neighbor's beeman and find it a bit heavy.  Is a recoil gun the same as a spring gun (that's the type my neighbor's beeman is and it sure is nice, just heavy.  Also is a single shot (???don't know if that's what you call it) and they suggested that I buy a spring single shot))?  Its fun practicing!  Due to the weight, they suggested I prop the rifle on something to support the weight....and it works.   :D Those cowboys of the old west must have had a lot more upper body strength in being able to shoot a rifle one-handed....think I'm going to start lifting weights!

Julie

Offline jcando

• GTA Donations
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 12:45:29 PM »
Hey Dave:

since I'm new to this I think I was a bit impersonal in my first reply...my apologies that I did not address you by name nor thank you for the welcome.  I think I got so excited that someone responded and wanted to reply :p   !  I wonder if the peakchick is from Colorado as that's where I live....

Julie

Offline jcando

• GTA Donations
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 12:47:42 PM »
Hey Marvin....I'm thinking that I agree with you....40 lbs may be a bit much.  Don't know how much my neighbor's beeman requires but I'll be its +/- 30 lbs.  Why is the sky going to fall, cause there may soon be another woman shooter out there   :emoticon:   ?

Offline jcando

• GTA Donations
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 12:54:58 PM »
Bill, thanks for the welcome and your advice.

Since you say that the HW-50, might be more in my line, easier to cock, with accuracy and great trigger I'm going to look into it too.  You mentioned slower fps....i've got to look that up but I'm assuming slower power behind the pellet?   Also, as mentioned in some of my other replies I'm looking for a lighter weight than my neighbors beeman as i'm just a weakling at the moment (but give me time, this seems fun and worth the effort to build upper body strength!!).

I think I'm going to go with a single shot rather than multi as that's what my neighbors suggest......they just said that if a practice enough I'll be able to down a wabbit in a single shot....perhaps they are dreaming??  :emoticon:

will let everyone know what I decide....i'm wanting to make a decision soon....have I been bitten by the bug?

Julie

Offline jcando

• GTA Donations
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 01:00:52 PM »
Black Mamba....touchee!

Offline jcando

• GTA Donations
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2008, 01:22:48 PM »
Daveshoot:

Thanks for your advice...since you said  a CO2 gun is LOUD then I think I'll cross that off my list of features.
(my neighbors suggest and have let me borrow a spring beeman....nice but heavy!!)

So I now am considering weight as my #1 criteria for my first gun.

You said " I believe you want a rifle starting under 7 lbs" and I couldn't agree with you more, do they come any lighter?

"You will need to aim and hold and of course, cock the rifle. The sooner you are fatigued by holding it on the target, the less accurate you will be (never mind the rifle for a moment, it will be accurate but it all depends where it is pointed)."  funny you should say this, I was having trouble holding the beeman up long enough to focus and shoot.....and thanks for the reminder on accuracy!!

My neighbors agree with your viewpoint that you disagree that I would want a repeater. I agree, that I should make the first shot count and plan on that (I just won't be hitting anything with the first shot for a while...until I get good but that's ok as I haven't shot any to date!). And I shudder at having to administer a coup-de-gras so I'd like to keep them to a minimum.  Good ideas that you have....

Too bad that I'm not likely to find a "made in the USA choice" that meets your criteria.....hate to admit it, but I'm not all that surprized  

Seems that the Beeman R7 is a popular choice so I'm checking that out..esp with your description that "it is the pinnacle of refinement" --- sounds incredible.

I'm intrigued by your suggestion of the Russian MP 512 since you say that it is extremely light and very accurate.

Also, the Chinese B26... "from one of the expert resellers here" does that mean I can buy it via this site?

I couldn't agree with you more, I don't want a fussy or project gun at this point.  With my husband a brain tumor survivor and our 2.5 acre fixer upper land and house, I've got enough to keep my mind and hands active....but I do like working on the things (my garden tractor, lawnmowers, camcorder, etc...) and like to solve the puzzle of "how things do or don't work"....so maybe my next gun...

You are right on the $$$ - I want a tactical garden tool that works right "out of the box" (with a little - er, lot - of practice).

I'm going to focus on the noise and weight specs closely as well as the cocking force required.

Thanks for all the support, I look forward (?) to my first "kill" and will do my best to post a photo....

Julie

Offline jcando

• GTA Donations
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 01:31:07 PM »
Marvin.....wow!  Now I don't know what I want.....a single shot or a CO2....I'll look into its weight. And the reviews were all great, thanks for the url!

Julie

Offline jcando

• GTA Donations
Re: First Air Rifle for a woman to shoot wascally wabbits???
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2008, 01:37:32 PM »
Hi Bean:

I wanted a rifle made in the US because our economy sucks and thought that by buying american might even in some very small way, might help.

Thanks for the url for the talon....I've not delved into its features, etc....but it's looks are....scary(??). To my novice eyes, seems much more menacing than say - the beeman my
neighbor lent me!!  I'm definitely going to look into it.  

Again, thanks for your advice!

Julie

Offline jcando

• GTA Donations
Re: First Air Rifle for a woman to shoot wascally wabbits???
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2008, 01:40:36 PM »
"I meant "buy a talon"...damn keyboard..."

no worries....I actually read it as buy not but...

do you know why the emoticons don't show up as emoticons but as html??

Julie