Author Topic: Beware of your purchase  (Read 4989 times)

Offline Larry M

• GTA Donations
Beware of your purchase
« on: July 19, 2008, 08:43:51 AM »
I recently purchased a RWS 52 from Cobra Airguns, and I'm sure this will be rebutted by them!  Anyway after talking to Joe I selected this rifle, I'm pretty new at air rifles but have been shooting for over 60 years, I read a lot and listened and talked to salesmen so I do have a good idea on what to do and how to hold them.  Was told by Joe just today that I didn't know / couldn't shoot!  I have a bench rest, chronograph and was only shooting 30 and 60 feet 5 shot groups.  I and a friend were both having the same problem of getting a consistent group, after several non answered messages and several more promises I was told via a phone message from Tara I could return it for a upgrade to a Beeman R9 Double Gold which I did and it shoots great! No problems!  I had told Joe that I had put Sling Swivels on the gun and he said at first that they could not return it as I had "altered" the gun, my comment back to him was that they alter them when they sell their mounting and sighting of the guns they promote!  Anyway I sent the gun back with two tins of pellets and ordered the R9, paid for the R9 and after a week of waiting for a credit conformation on my return I emailed them and was told I had been given credit for the first rifle minus $50.00 and only given credit for one can of pellets.  Joe called me today and said he had told me there would be a deduction as I had altered the gun,NOT true, Joe wasn't even around when I was called and told to return the gun and replace it with the R9!  Also I found that I could have bought the R9 $60 cheaper through another dealer, had I known I was going to get jabbed like that from Cobra Airguns I would have NOT ordered the replacement from Cobra!  I figured I had spent around $60 for freight and another $70 to upgrade, minus the $50 restocking fee.  Be sure and read the fine print and ask lots of questions before you buy from Cobra!

Offline fatback

• http://www.bullystylepits.com
RE: Beware of your purchase
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 10:39:37 AM »
Larry, I find it hard to believe about Cobra, they are really nice guys that go out of the way to make there customers happy!!  I am sure it is tough to run a retail business and try to make every customer happy, but I am sure it is hard to return a gun to the manufacturer that has been altered and try to say it is new. I am not sure about policy, but It seems you modified the stock on the gun.  I know you said you are fairly new to air guns,  but have shot firearms for over 60 years.  Well, then you should know that putting a scope and rings on a gun can be removed, but swivels drilled into the stock can not be removed, leaving the gun altered and not in new condition. Also how much did you shoot the gun? It usually takes a good 500 rounds to break in a gun and about 50 to 100 to stop dieseling. If it was dieseling it would have made it very inconsistent.  well, I am glad you are happy now with the R9 Double gold, it's a great gun. I actually bought my R9 Gold finger from Cobra  and had no problems at all (great retailer in my opinion). I find there staff very courteous and knowledgeable.  I have done business with Cobra in the past and they will continue to get my business.  I also notice your post count is 1. Is this for real or are you just coming here to try to discredit COBRA? WHY? maybe your a competitor. also where can you get a R9 double gold for $485.00 new?? Don't think so
Chris

Crosman 1377, Crosman 2240, Crosman 1389 backpacker, Custom AR2078 .177, R7 .177, R7 DG .177, Crosman Discovery .177,Disco Pistol, Disco Carbine, R9 GF .20, Sheridan rocker.20, Crosman Discovery .22, AF Condor .22, Shark bolt action .22, BSA Sportsman HV .22, Career II 707 .22, Career Ultra .9mm,  Beeman Kodiak .25

Offline Larry M

• GTA Donations
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 11:11:58 AM »
Hey Fatback, are you working or getting a commission from Cobra?  Yes I am trying to make buyers aware of what could happen to them in the future, you might have had or have a good relation with Cobra but I haven't!  On several occasions I've waited for call backs from both Joe and Dave, never got them, supposed to call back within the hour, two days later I call and get the same message, "all lines are busy please leave a message",  never  call back.  I never planned on sending the gun back when I installed the sling swivels, I tried everything that Joe had told me to do, take the scope off, try the iron sights, nothing worked and was told something could be worked out but had to call UMAREX which I did and still didn't get a reply back until after I was called and told I could return the gun for another make/model !  If your so damn smart about shooting I'm sure you don't have a sling on any of your guns that you pack in the field or maybe you just shoot the 30' targets?  And I'll bet more than the majority of the people that hunt with a air rifle have put slings on them!! If your packing around a 10# gun in the field without a sling your a better man than most!  As far as prices go check this out:

Darrell's Airguns & Accessories
4735 N.E. 105th Ave.
Portland, Or 97220-3355

http://www.darrellsairguns.com/home2.html

His price for the R9 Double Gold Combo, W4X12X40 scope mounted & Muzzle Brake is $469.95 !  You might want to check out some of his other prices!

But your right about one thing, that was my first post but I've read lots of reviews and posts, not only about air rifles!

Larry M

Offline fatback

• http://www.bullystylepits.com
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 11:38:56 AM »
Hey Larry, I never said I didn't have a sling on any of my guns. I just said it is hard to send back after drilling it. I would never drill the gun until I had the bugs worked out and was happy with the gun. they do offer a 30 return policy at most dealers as long as the gun is in new selling condition.  I too have returned guns, but have gotten my full money back.  I understand your pain, but  let it be a lesson to you. Never drill the stock until your happy with the gun.  I am sorry you lost money on the gun. I have no affiliation with Cobra, Just they are great guys and members here. I feel they go out of their way to help customers find the right gun to suit their needs. I will pay a little extra for that service, call me stupid or foolish maybe, but I will still deal with Cobra because I am happy with their service.
those are good prices @ darrels have you or anyone you know purchased anything from them before? what caliber did you get the R9 in?
Chris

Crosman 1377, Crosman 2240, Crosman 1389 backpacker, Custom AR2078 .177, R7 .177, R7 DG .177, Crosman Discovery .177,Disco Pistol, Disco Carbine, R9 GF .20, Sheridan rocker.20, Crosman Discovery .22, AF Condor .22, Shark bolt action .22, BSA Sportsman HV .22, Career II 707 .22, Career Ultra .9mm,  Beeman Kodiak .25

Offline CharlieDaTuna

• http://www.charliedatuna.com
This isn't going to fly.... Larry
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 11:40:14 AM »
Larry M., I don't know who you are or where you came from but you cannot just jump in here with those kinds of personal attacks. Read this rule and heed it. And while you are at it, go to the office and read the rest of them. Then, if you cannot abide by them, leave.

Personal attacks on individual airgunners dealers and tuners are strictly forbidden. If you have issues with them, then they should be addressed one on one and not create a “war zone” on your forums. Take your issues up directly with them and do not launder them here on the GTA forums.

I will not tolerate it....period. I'm moving this post to the "Non-Productive Page" at 10:00 PM and freezing it this day unless you delete your post.

CDT

Bob  aka:  CharlieDaTuna
Co-founder of the GTA

HOME OF THE GRT-III TRIGGER

Home of the NPSS-NP Triggers:  
            http://charliedatuna.com/NPSS.htm

E-Mail:  CDT22@Verizon.net

Benji-342 .177 /Brazilian Winchester 800 .22 /Gamo Cadet .177 /Gamo Shadowmatic .177 /Gamo 440 .22 /Gamo Royal .22 /Gamo Whisper .177 /Gamo SK-1 .20 /B-20 .177 /TF-99 .177 /QB-78 .177 /QB-78t .22 /QB-78-(CD) .22 /QB-78-(CJ) .22/QB-78D .22 /Crosman 2240 .22 /Cros 150 .177 /Crosman Back Packer .22 ?Crosman AS 2250 .22 /Daisy Mod 93 .177 /Marksman 2004 .177 /GS 35 .177 /FWB-124 .177 /Custom Marauder .22 /Custom Disco .177

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 11:56:22 AM »
Well first Welcome to GTA Larry and as you can see were a family type airgun group around here. I myself have never had any dealing's with Cobra Airgun's but have read many good responses from customer's. I'm not taking sides here, that's not my job but I know there are times when a customer may get unlucky result's from a dealer and or shooter at time's and hopefully it fall's under a misunderstanding and thing's can be fixed to where both parties are happy. It does sound like you did end up with a good shooter and we look forward to your take on her and that's what we want here, family to be happy with their shooter's.:)  I do have a few question's myself if you don't mind, I was wondering what kind of pellet's you were running through her and how many different brand's and type of pellet's you used. It may take a few different type's until you find what she likes eat with nice group's. And as mentioned it does take a few round's of lead through the barrel to season it to bring in the group's and I'm sure you know this but just asking anyway.:) I hunt and that is all I do with my shooter's, been doing it for awhile now and have a little collection to choose from but I've never used a sling myself. Nothing against em just didn't want to loose anytime pulling the shooter around and have the varment spot me and run hehehe. I've carred my shooter's right in front or resting and ready if I'm sniping from the bush. Yes they can get heavy, my Gamo 1250.22 is a workout but I injoy a good workout.:) I just thought I would welcome you and say that we are family here and want to keep all happy. Together we all move forward to find a solution and we reflect that through our post and  remember GTA gang we have young member's who read our GREAT FORUM!:), just a thought. Again welcome and we move forward together. Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline TCups

• http://
RE: This isn't going to fly.... Larry
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 01:05:13 PM »
Thanks, Bob.  I and many others here have dealt with both Cobra Air Guns as a quality retailer, and with Joe personally on a couple of used rifles.  My experience is that both are honest, beyond reproach and will bend over backwards to make sure things are right.

Offline Larry M

• GTA Donations
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 01:21:51 PM »
Fatback, Shadow and Charlie, I'm sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to, just because I'm new doesn't mean I haven't been around for awhile!  Charlie you can put my post wherever you would like, I was trying to inform maybe new buyers to be aware and yes I'm still upset with Cobra and will NOT buy or recommend them to others!  Do you own this Forum? 1287 posts is a lot of time being on the site!  Is it unlawful to post a bad transaction on your site to inform others?  I'm not looking to get into a xxxxxxg contest with others.

Thanks for the welcome Shadow and Fatback, yes, I did try several different loads from different mfg's, and it was a .22 cal RWS and I'm surly not trying to offend or slam RWS, it was a very nice well made gun, but I do have a better shooter and better for me.

Larry M

Offline airgun/cuz

• http://www.longislandairguns.com
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 01:55:43 PM »
LARRY, I am sorry that your not happy, as you mentioned earlier on the phone,that all us NEW YORKERS are crooks & no good & stated that you would go out of your way to damage my name or character,if this attack makes you happy , please feel free to continue, as eveyone knows there are two sides to every story,you failed to mention that we gave you a free Leapers 3x9x40 illum scope & mount,FREE PELLETS,The gun was returned with scratches on the butt & there is absolutely nothing wrong with the way the gun shoots......I want to thank you for returning it, as it will be part of my fine air gun collection,as they say there is always something positive to make of a negetive.........an RWS 52 .22  will soon join THE SOFA!

THANK YOU BROTHERS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
Joe Cuz
 http://www.longislandairguns.com

ANY FOOL CAN LEARN FROM HIS OWN MISTAKES,IT TAKES A WISE MAN TO LEARN FROM THE MISTAKES OF OTHERS!