Author Topic: QB Gets a Face Lift...:)  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
QB Gets a Face Lift...:)
« on: September 29, 2006, 11:46:55 AM »
I was looking at my QB 78's today and I have been noticing how soft the stocks are. The wood is no harder than yellow pine..:) Look at them crosseyed and a nick appears... he he he. I love shooting the QB's because they are very lite in weight.

So I took my QB 78, that I bought from Compasseco and removed the stock. I was going to sand and stain the stock a liter color. Started sanding it down with some 160 grit paper. Soon I notice a dark spot and the heel of the butt. As I removed more and more of the stain and varnish it was apparent there were big knotts running completly through the stock... Yikessssssssss. Must have been some kind of paint I was sanding off and not stain and laquer. When I was all done sanding there was a place the size of a quarter near the heel and another one in front of the trigger hole... lol.. Apparently they had puched out the knott's and filled the holes with some kind of filler.

So the idea of re staining a liter color stain was out the window. I sit and sipped on my cup of coffee think, what am I gonna do now.. Well I remember some guys who spray painted there stocks with bed liner paint. hmmmmmm. So off I went to a auto parts store and found the paint I would need.

I got back and re sanded lghtly and cleaned all the dust and wood off with a tack cloth. Sprayed the thing as per directions on the can and here is the results.

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline mikeiniowa

• http://airgunartisans.com/flyingdragon
RE: QB Gets a Face Lift...:)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 12:39:59 PM »
It sure does the trick for a ratty looking stock. I have a match stock in the process of getting the same treatment, wonder if they have a Chinese red.....................

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: QB Gets a Face Lift...:)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 12:54:18 PM »
LOL, That would be something to see it in bright Red...:) Show us when you finish.

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline ribbonstone

• http://
Re: QB Gets a Face Lift...:)
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 03:46:31 PM »
The bed liner paint lasts pretty well...may still get a chip or two where it didn't sitck to the wood unless it was down to bare wood, but it's long wearing stuff with a non-slip texture.

Whatever the wood, it's (1) light colored (2)soft  (3)  finished in some kind of "lay on the top" finish that chips off and (3) from looking at the wood's grain under the butt plate, seems to be made from small diameter trees.  If you get lucky, won't have some bit imperfection that was filled or a knot hole under the finish...won't be sure until after it's stripped.

Jumped on a match stock befor buggering it up with dents/dings, but didn't paint the whole thing.  After shooting it a little bit, decided a couple of edges in the grip/trigger finger area had to go....a bit of rasping and some sanding got it to fit right, but the grip area had a sever case of measles.

So masked off the grip area, striped and sanded the area inside the tape, then painted only that area.  Makes a nice grip area and isn't unattractive...is a lot easier than strippling.

Painted the insides of the vents on the fore end just to add a bit of the same black color and make the color balance.

So far, with a good bit of shooting, it's lasted very well.
Robert