Author Topic: A misconception????  (Read 7863 times)

Offline CharlieDaTuna

• http://www.charliedatuna.com
A misconception????
« on: August 20, 2008, 03:09:34 AM »
Hi Gang….

I think there has been a bit of misconception of what I’m trying to accomplish regarding the tuning business. I’m not trying to find someone who can replace CharlieDaTuna or fill my shoes on the forum or in the world of springer tuning. I think that’s the impression that has been taken and that certainly is not the intent. I’m just an old man that is fortunate enough to have the ability to work on springers, certainly don't walk on water and don't think of myself as a ”legend” as many say although it does give me the “big head”…lol…   8)

All that I’m trying to do is hopefully find a person or persons that when someone contacts me or inquires about having their gun tuned, and I’m getting a lot of mail wanting recommendations, that I can send them to someone that can provide quality workmanship and service. Of course I would prefer that the person or persons that I could send them to were a member of the GTA family.

To provide good service, a tuner should have both airgun knowledge  and experience (especially springer) as well as shop equipment such as a lathe and mill and the ability to use them to make the parts and modifications to do a good job. It doesn't appear that there are many that have both. It also takes dedication. The one other thing is the tuning time available. Fortunately I've been retired for the last ten years and time was not an issue for me.  :)

A good tuner must also be prepared to have a good stock of needed parts on hand as well as the proper proven lubes. I would normally have about 40 springs or more on hand at any given time.  I would also machine and prepare parts like thrust washers, top hats of different sizes and weights, spring support washes in advance, spring ends finished, spring guides roughed in and made up in advance. I would do these things when I had no guns on hand to tune so I would always be busy and prepared for the work when it came in. My lathe and mill get a lot of workout and are used every day. They are a must and you cannot do a decent job without them.

I did talk to Paul “Fix” on the phone yesterday for about a half hour or so and I had previously thought that he had far more airgun bench time experience and hands on than what he actually has. But that said, and like with myself, you gain experience over time and it’s a “learn as you go” thing. And given time and experience, I'm sure Paul will be good at it. I did tell Paul that I would “support” him but there is no such thing as “I’m in” as a “replacement for CDT”. And I back up nobody, at least at this time. The only person that I would back up would be Gene because he has spent countless hours over a period of about 18 months working beside me on the bench as an apprentice you might say and I know what he is capable of. Depending on Gene, that may still come to pass but that could be down the road a ways.

But one needs to know that you cannot learn at the “expense” of the customer. I spent the first couple of years working for almost nothing and many times for nothing. When I started in this thing years ago, the old time tuners would not tell you anything regarding tuning and it took me a long time to learn, to gather knowledge and to become efficient at it. And I did it for the most part all on my own. I didn't have anybody to show me anything.  :o

And then, because of the lack of info available, I started publishing the knowledge that I had gathered and shared it with the world much to the chagrin of the turners that were then out there. But I looked at it as a hobby to many people and felt that they should have some access to at least basic information so they could be more involved. And so the CDT website was born. All of a sudden, everybody was a tuner….lol…   8)

Well, it’s not that simple of course.

So…. My intent is as said, to find someone that I can refer my customers toward to service their gun. If I know that a tuner is capable and has the above described “qualifications”, I would be more than happy to refer my customers to them and also support them. I would also endorse and promote them on my website once proven. There is quite a gap between supporting someone and endorsing/promoting someone. :)  (Of course they should also have a quality website of their own also).

So there are no (in’s or out’s) or Charlie’s “successor” regarding a tuner and representation on our forum. That is a bit ridiculous. And it's certainly not for me to select anybody but rather the members and customers making their choice by their experiences and past reported results of the work performed for them regarding a tuner. Mtyself, I just want to be able to point my personal customers and anybody else to the best service possible. :D  

Am I making sense??????  :0 :0 :0

I hope that I have not offended anybody and I sure welcome your comments, good or bad. :)

PS:  I'm going to hang this on the top for a few days and then release it.
Bob  aka:  CharlieDaTuna
Co-founder of the GTA

HOME OF THE GRT-III TRIGGER

Home of the NPSS-NP Triggers:  
            http://charliedatuna.com/NPSS.htm

E-Mail:  CDT22@Verizon.net

Benji-342 .177 /Brazilian Winchester 800 .22 /Gamo Cadet .177 /Gamo Shadowmatic .177 /Gamo 440 .22 /Gamo Royal .22 /Gamo Whisper .177 /Gamo SK-1 .20 /B-20 .177 /TF-99 .177 /QB-78 .177 /QB-78t .22 /QB-78-(CD) .22 /QB-78-(CJ) .22/QB-78D .22 /Crosman 2240 .22 /Cros 150 .177 /Crosman Back Packer .22 ?Crosman AS 2250 .22 /Daisy Mod 93 .177 /Marksman 2004 .177 /GS 35 .177 /FWB-124 .177 /Custom Marauder .22 /Custom Disco .177

Offline Timmyj1959@yahoo.com

• http://dragonslayer
NO REPLYS??
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 03:20:12 PM »
Well I will. Im not here to win any "Popularity Contests" Folks. Ifin Ya dont agree with my opinions, so be it. FACT: Mr. Bob is a tuner that CANNOT be replaced by ANYONE,, PERIOD. He just has too much experience,, knowledge,,Honesty,, Integrity,,,, The list goes on,,,, and on,,,,,. Mr. Bob,, as I told Ya before,, was an HONOR to finally meet Ya in person,,( Told Ya to expect a big hug :p ) Some people Ya meet on lifes journey are TRULY SPECIAL,, "Mr. Bob" ,, Your "Special".  I watched you at Genes that day of the Fun Shoot,, You spent most of the day in Genes shop working on guns for folks there!! I seem to remember: On the metal lathe making custom parts for Tommys light,, helping Roger with the 350 Brl. swap,,Installing a GRT 111 trigger for Thomas,, EVERY time I walked into the shop,, there you were,, another airgun in pcs.!! :0  Im just glad::: I have a Friend like you I can call when I need advice!! 8)  NOPE,, NO ONE can walk in your shoes Bob,, Of course,, shure would be nice if Gene would get better,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Now THERE IS someone to carry on for Ya!! :D  Thanks for being a Friend Bob,, Thanks for the TRUST you have given me. :emoticon:  Your "Lil Buddy",, Tim.

Offline TexasShooter72

• http://
RE: A misconception????
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 02:45:58 AM »
KUDOS! Bob!

I've already had all the work I need done.  For what it's worth, the work you do is Elite in my mind.  

Thanks a bunch for everything.  I mean EVERYTHING!

Enjoy your retirement from tuning!

Matt
David Slade Tuned, Theoben Gas Ram BSA Super Sport XL .177
David Slade Tuned, Theoben Gas Ram BSA Lightning XL .22
CDT Tuned Gamo Hunter Elite .177
Big Gene Tuned, Ed(Shadow)Chocolate Chip Camo Gamo Shadow 1000 .177

Offline JOHNNY QUEST

• http://WWW.GULFCOASTRODS.NET
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 10:48:59 AM »
I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you, or enjoying your work..
I found you 2 days after the retirement.. 8-10-08.  what a drag...got the trigger tho...
 I have a Whisper that needs the tune up and have looked everywhere for a quality person to do it..
 They aint there.. Its the end of an era...  I will continue looking while i install the walnut stock on it and hopefully someone will chime in to the forum that is up to the task..

Gene get out in the shop as much as ya can..
Charlie teach him quickly....
A MEMBER OF THE \"OTHER\" DARK SIDE...... NV
 The addiction:
 BSA Lonestar .22 ATN Nightvision scope TKO break.
 BSA Scorpion .177 T-10 Tactical Bullbarrel Syn. stock.. TKO break
 Air Arms S400FAC .22 Custom Camo\'d stock.. By  Shadow..extra walnut stock...
 Air Arms TX200 .22 Walnut stock...
 B-20 .177 Custom camo\'d by Shadow...
 B-20 .20 ...
 B-20 .22 Custom camo\'d by Shadow...
 RWS 48 .20...
 rws 36 .20...
 Mountian Air custom .25 pcp pistol... TKO break
 Crosman 2400 18\" .22 pistol TKO break...
 Webley Tempest .22 pitol...
 Crosman 2240 .22 pistol...
 Gamo whisper .22 Wooden stock...
 Gamo CFX royal .22
 Fast deer .177 custom stock...
 Beeman GT600 .177...
 Benjamin Sheridan C-9 Blue Streak . 20 1968 model...
 Benjamin sheridan c-9 silver streak . 20

Offline JOHNNY QUEST

Re: A misconception????
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 11:39:47 AM »
pm sent Fix...

Randall
 The addiction:
 B-20 .20 ...
 RWS 48 .20...
 rws 36 .20...
 Gamo CFX royal .22
 Beeman GT600 .177...

Offline dave2288

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 11:52:58 AM »
hey fix, i don't remember if i asked or not...do you tune any guns, or only ones that have tune kits?

Dave
Dave

g1 extreme(turbo tuned cdt trigger, choker muzzle break and fix hinge), powerline 1000s(lube tuned...soon to get a makeover), benjamin ss .22 tuned and shortened, patriot .25(british)

Offline CharlieDaTuna

• http://www.charliedatuna.com
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 02:08:25 PM »
I really don't like it that I have to put this here but....because it has been posted on the forum, it needs to be addressed on the forum because of the way it was presented and placed. I do not want anybody to be misled.

When "FIX" says "i can and will do the tune;/..using CDT old shool tuners mode" I think everyone should know and be aware of the fact that Paul "FiX" does not have any experience, training or exposure to my methods of tuning at all and that the statement is very misleading. He cannot use what he doesn't know or has been any part of and per our phone conversation the other day, he has little or no airgun bench experience. It's bothering me because it is deception on his part and I'm bieng used as a pawn.

I want it to be known that I do not recommend Paul as a tuner and any references that he makes regarding backing, support, endorsing, promoting or suggestions by me is inaccurate and false.
Bob  aka:  CharlieDaTuna
Co-founder of the GTA

HOME OF THE GRT-III TRIGGER

Home of the NPSS-NP Triggers:  
            http://charliedatuna.com/NPSS.htm

E-Mail:  CDT22@Verizon.net

Benji-342 .177 /Brazilian Winchester 800 .22 /Gamo Cadet .177 /Gamo Shadowmatic .177 /Gamo 440 .22 /Gamo Royal .22 /Gamo Whisper .177 /Gamo SK-1 .20 /B-20 .177 /TF-99 .177 /QB-78 .177 /QB-78t .22 /QB-78-(CD) .22 /QB-78-(CJ) .22/QB-78D .22 /Crosman 2240 .22 /Cros 150 .177 /Crosman Back Packer .22 ?Crosman AS 2250 .22 /Daisy Mod 93 .177 /Marksman 2004 .177 /GS 35 .177 /FWB-124 .177 /Custom Marauder .22 /Custom Disco .177

Offline JOHNNY QUEST

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 03:23:39 PM »
CharlieDaTuna - 8/21/2008  9:08 PM

I really don't like it that I have to put this here but....because it has been posted on the forum, it needs to be addressed on the forum because of the way it was presented and placed. I do not want anybody to be misled.

When "FIX" says "I can and will do the tune;/..using CDT old school tuners mode" I think everyone should know and be aware of the fact that Paul "FiX" does not have any experience, training or exposure to my methods of tuning at all and that the statement is very misleading. He cannot use what he doesn't know or has been any part of and per our phone conversation the other day, he has little or no airgun bench experience. It's bothering me because it is deception on his part and I'm bieng used as a pawn.

I want it to be known that I do not recommend Paul as a tuner and any references that he makes regarding backing, support, endorsing, promoting or suggestions by me is inaccurate and false.

Ok back ta square one.. Charlie why didn't you find us a tuner before ya decided to retire..  I guess I'm being selfish and  wishing for a solution.  who is most qualified to do the job.. Here I sit with a gun that needs the touch of a master.  A whisper that will live its life out inferior to others and never live up to its new walnut stock.
 A gun that was deprived of its full potential. One that will live every day of its life wishing it had seen the bench of a master tuner.  Always wondering how much better it could have been... Living a sad existence being mediocre.
 So sad!!!!
 The addiction:
 B-20 .20 ...
 RWS 48 .20...
 rws 36 .20...
 Gamo CFX royal .22
 Beeman GT600 .177...

Offline dave2288

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 03:34:52 PM »
haha, well, i'm sure no gun wants to be in that state!...there are plenty of tuners out there...i'm not suggesting anyone else do this, but i'm letting paul work on my guns, to see what he can do, and so far hes just been a little late with sending the gun back(lol, and you know you have!), but i'll not say anything about his work until i see the result...bob, why don't you just give some pointers out there in a post for all fairly new tuners to follow, and leave an open invitation to offer further advice if need be, so there isn't just one good tuner out there?...i'm sure everyone would like to know what is done to tune a gun...i know i would!

just my thoughts...btw, bob, the guns you tuned for me are still my favorites...works of art!

Dave
Dave

g1 extreme(turbo tuned cdt trigger, choker muzzle break and fix hinge), powerline 1000s(lube tuned...soon to get a makeover), benjamin ss .22 tuned and shortened, patriot .25(british)

Offline Timmyj1959@yahoo.com

• http://dragonslayer
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 04:08:37 PM »
Dave,, Favorites?? Works of art?? Dont EVEN get me started bout my CDT TUNED RWS (DIANA 34)!!!! Been "Playin" this airgun game a while now,, Mr. Bob CANNOT be replaced,,,, PERIOD!! LOTS of "edits" here Folks,, Bitin my toung,, imagine that!!LOL!! Tim.

Offline dave2288

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 04:42:54 PM »
haha, well, that was actually a gun that i wanted to get but never got around to it before he retired...regret it now...now i can only read stories about yours...unless you of course wanted to give it to me;-)

Dave
Dave

Offline Big_Bill

Let Us ALL Give Bob a Break !
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 05:59:17 PM »

Look Guys,

Bob has been turning out Tunes for some time, and has worked his but off to do it right, and get them back to there senders in a timely matter. If you read the old posts, Gene has told us of nights Bob didn't get out of the shop until after 1:00 A.M.

I know we all love Bob, and I think he likes most of us,..sometimes, So let us all get off of Bob's case, and be thankful for all he has given the GTA !

It is his time to relax and enjoy the good life, so don't be so selfish, If you were going to retire, I know what everyone here would say, if you were asked to stay on. BILL SCHMIT !

So be fair, and wish him and his wife the good life . Bob has more than earned it !

Thank you,

Bill

Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
RE: Let Us ALL Give Bob a Break !
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 09:41:39 PM »
I realized awhile back that if I was gonna shoot em I better understand how they function. I opened up my first shooter, a B3 not knowing what's gonna jump out at me lol the first tool of coarse was a spring compresser, safety first. Now that I look back I'm happy that I did take that leap of faith lol and through reading any info on tunning, hint's from guru's and trial and error I've tuned almost all my babies with great result's. :) Aquiring all the tool's for the job along the way, lath's lubes, materials and some tool's that I had to fab myself. I'm by no mean's a super tuner and tune only my babies, as Bob say's it involves alot of time, part's and year's of knowledge and we have been graced with having Bob here to tune all these shooter's and hand out his valuable insight and knowledge of airgun's. :) I realize that some don't have the tool's or knowledge to do tunes and and are in search of tuner's and Bob cannot be replaced :0  but some might want to think about trail and error , like me lol, understanding how they really function is a key to shooting it more skillfully, atleast for me and that's just my pellet's worth. I pick em up and shoot em now knowing if they have a sickness :0 or happy and healthy. It does take time,tool's and knowledge and alittle $$$ which most of us save for more shooter's lol but the payoff is big in the end. I'm not saying dive into your shooter and open her up, baby step's hehe but just try to learn and explore alittle more everytime you pick her up and ALWAY'S BE SAFE! whenever you decide to work on em.Bob is "one of kind" airgun tuner and reading the post of member's who recieved a tune from him was a joy but it's his time to relaxe and injoy life, maby get more time to shoot em. :) As I said knowing your baby inside and out makes for a better shooter, atleast it did for me. Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline dave2288

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 12:11:58 AM »
well, i meant merely that bob is going to get many emails and pm's about tuning...i'm sure we can all agree that it will happen, and i just thought that if he put up a post, it might give some ppl out there what they need to know, so he wouldn't get quite so many pm's...i didn't mean that he keep up with doing the work or anything like he used to, and bob, if i bothered you with what i said, i'm very sorry...i was just trying to help.

Dave
Dave

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
Maybe "miscommunication"???
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 03:29:41 AM »
Let me preface this post by saying Bob will be surely missed as a tuner of springers and an all around airgun fanatic that has given all of us many hours of help and guidance in our hobby.  Bob you are definately one of "The Greats", and I don't think there will ever be a direct replacement for you anytime soon.

Now on with the not so great stuff.  I've only known Paul for a short time, but what I know for sure is that he is the sort of human that would give anyone the shirt off his back to help them out.  I don't agree that there has been any purposely misleading statements from Paul, sorry Bob it's just NOT Pauls style.  What I think DID occur is that there has been a communication breakdown of the 10th degree here.  I have tons of respect for both of you guys and just can't believe that this argument or misunderstanding or whatever you want to call it is because anyone is trying to mislead anyone else.  Bob I understand how if something gets started on the forum it needs to be addressed on the forum, but I really think you two need to pick up a phone, or move it to email.  To attack someones character on the open forum is very disrespectful, and I don't think Paul deserves it....Paul is a standup kind of guy as are you, and this absolutely has to be a communication breadown, I just wont believe it is anything else.

Please guys, figure this one out without any more mudslingin' on the open forum, it's not good for anyone, especially not our newer members who come here looking to pursue a new hobby and find a bunch of men squabling.  When I got home from my business trip last night and logged onto the forum and started reading this stuff I was NOT thinking "Aint it a great place to be", I was thinking "Oh man, where do I hang out now?".

rant complete,
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008