Author Topic: Gamo BC owners  (Read 2418 times)

Offline eddie1976

• GTA Donations
Gamo BC owners
« on: September 11, 2009, 09:17:59 AM »
Hi- I'm considering a refurb. big cat and want to know what kind of accuracy you guys get with a tuned (JM spring/seals/lube/GRT trigger) gun. I normally shoot at about 30 yards and I have high expectations for accuracy.

Thanks for responding.

Eddie

Offline TexasShooter72

• http://
RE: Gamo BC owners
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 11:39:01 AM »
Hi Eddy, Welcome to the GTA!  You're in the right place!

I've owned multiple Gamo's and currently have an S1K(Shadow 1000) and a Gamo Hunter Elite that have both been tuned with Maccari parts.  Now, I can't speak for refurbs but I can tell you my Hunter Elite gets 1/4 inch groups at 30 yards using Beeman FTS pellets.  The S1K is my long distance shooter and it's pulling 1/2 inch groups at 40 yards.

There are alot of knowledgeable people here in the GTA that will respond soon enough.  Thanks for posting and Welcome to the forum with the most!
David Slade Tuned, Theoben Gas Ram BSA Super Sport XL .177
David Slade Tuned, Theoben Gas Ram BSA Lightning XL .22
CDT Tuned Gamo Hunter Elite .177
Big Gene Tuned, Ed(Shadow)Chocolate Chip Camo Gamo Shadow 1000 .177

Offline gamo2hammerli

Re: Gamo BC owners
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 12:03:14 PM »
A big welcome to the GTA forum and family Eddie.

I own a Big Cat....she's very accurate and not tuned at all (Except for abit of JM Heavy Tar on the spring and the GRT III trigger).....you will need to experiment with a few types of pellets to see which ones yours will like.  At 10 meters, mine like a variety of different pellets.....out past 30 meters she gets abit fussier.  So far she likes the Crosman Premier Hollow Points best....next is the cheapy Crosman Hunting pellet....I could send spent shotgun shells flying 7 out of 10 times at 40 yard distances....shooting standing off-hand.

That's another thing....shooting off-hand the BC might be a tad too light....will result in too much barrel sway.  To remedy that I stuffed the hollow stock with some old rags to give her some weight and to dampen the infamous Gamo "twang" sound.  One more thing, the BC is abit loud.....mine is still loud after 4000 shots.  Some other BC owers say the same thing.  My other air rifles are loud in the beginning.....but after 700 or 1000 shots they tend to quiet down abit.
Gamo: Expotec .177 + Big Cat .177 + Viper .177 + Whisper .177, Hammerli Titan .177, Diana model 24 .177, RWS-Diana P5 Magnum pistol .177, Crosman: G1 Extreme .177 + Storm XT .177 + Sierra Pro .177 + 1377 pistol .177, Air Arms S410SL .22, BSA Scorpion T10 .22, FX Cyclone .177, Remington Air Master 77 .177 + BB\'s,

Offline eddie1976

• GTA Donations
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 08:27:42 AM »
Thanks for feedback guys. I'm seriously considering this gun, but want to make sure it turns out as good as my other AGs. I have a a couple and I want one that I can build and make my own. I was considering the BC and the Quest 1000. Not sure which I will go with, but the BC is on sale for $90 (refurb) at Cabelas. I'm trying to see which will be more accurate.

Eddie

Offline pindog2000

RE: Gamo BC owners
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 06:14:47 PM »
http://www.airgundepot.com big cat for 114.00
keep your eyes on the prize & dont let it crawl away.

Offline Evo|ve_S|66

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 03:16:05 PM »
Well I don't think accuracy will suffer much, if not ever so slightly being refurb'd or tuned. It's likely, but not likely to become that big of an issue. Personally I've bought a Big Cat from airgundepot, and I was pretty happy with my purchase. It came with a warranty, and the condition was pretty darn good like not even used. However, that does not discount the fact that there might be some "disappointers" floating around. You can certainly breathe easy, being as that GAMO and the retailer will test the rifle prior to selling it to the public in hopes of limiting the amount of returns. Because let's face it, those can be a pain in the rear. But yeah, the Cat at Cabelas is a very good deal. Tuning the Cat will definitely boast up its performance, as well as smoothing the cocking and limiting the vibration. Both a Mccarri tune kit and or a Gene tune will turn your Cat into a Lion lol. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in your search my friend, have a good one.

Also regarding the accuracy the Cat is able to pull off....I was able to get pretty good dime'ish groups at 20-23 yards using Crosman Premier Hollows and RWS Super Points. Of course using a 3-9x40 scope =] Also it wouldn't hurt to look into a Quest, those shooters are darn good for the price. I like it better than the GAMO synthetic stock because it handles the recoil better.....well in my experience. The hollow'ness of GAMO's really makes shooting pretty awkward :)

-Jarred
\"One\'s Will To Win Is Greater Than One\'s Strength\"