Author Topic: Airguns all day  (Read 1717 times)

Offline kirby999

• http://
Airguns all day
« on: August 24, 2009, 11:59:39 AM »
 After cutting the grass this morning , once I got back from a seven mile ride on my Specialized Rock hopper mountain bike , I spent the day tearing apart my RWS34 Panther PC and R11 . I removed the low power spring from the R11 I had installed a few weeks ago , and installed a Tarantula spring back into it . I shot a few pellets through it just to check that is shot OK , and put it away to start on the Panther . I wanted to make a low powered rifle out of it so I would have a rifle to shoot indoors this winter . I pull the hp spring and installed the low power spring along with a tophat into the Panther . put it back together and it wouldn't catch when I tried to cock it . Opened it back up again and removed the tophat , hoping that was what keeping it from catching . Put it back together and it worked !! Put the scope back on and outside to check it out . I spent a good bit of time just trying different pellets as it seems more pellet fussy than it was . Finally settled on JSB 8.4's that went through the chrony at around 640 fps . Just about what I had hoped for . I tried a few flat point pellets and they grouped pretty good at 20 yards and do better than I can shoot them at 10 meters . Along about 5:30 pm , The big brown truck showed up with my Ruger Blackhawk . I'd finished up with the RWS just in time . I opened up the Blackhawk , cleaned it up and tried a few pellets through her . It was all over the place and dieseling like a locomotive . I tried to calm it down a little with some heavies , but it was still smoking after 60-75 pellets ,although I checked it through the chrony and it had settled down below 900fps with cpl's and grouping a little better ; although I know it'll take a few pellets down the barrel to tighten this one up because It doesn't have a choked barrel ; I  checked after I finished cleaning by pushing a pellet through the barrel from the brrech and when it got near the muzzle , it fell out . By that time I was tired and wanted to relax a little , so I got out my Air Arms S400C and shot about 50 pellets through it . A PCP is soooo easy to shoot . At 30 yards off my bipod , I was shooting ragged holes . I back up to 50 and was dropping the old Gamo target with every shot . Just too easy LOL . A full day of airguns . kirby
\" Shooting PCP\'s; I sometimes miss that  unmistakable smell of a springer . \"

Offline tjk

Re: Airguns all day
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 12:26:26 PM »
Great news on the Panther David!!!,..it's not what the rifle can do,...but more like,... what you want the rifle to do,...Good luck with the indoor plinking this winter. One day I'll get myself one of those AA's,...those B-28's are gonna beat me to death.  But I do foresee a Bountiful Harvest of BT's with this coming season!!!! Five more weeks to wait. Glad you had a great day!, Thomas
397 Benji-98\' model    
Marksman  0035, My Fav!,CDT T\'d
Crosman Sierra-Pro,.177
Benji 392 08\'
CDT TT\'d RWS 34 .22,CP 4-16X40 AO
MM T\'d Marksman 0035
Crosman G1 Extreme
Daisy PowerLine 1000
TF-97 .22
B-28A MM T\'d
B-28 OEM Tuned by me
Beeman .22 RX-2 w/Theoben GR
Beeman .177 R1 Santa Rosa

Offline BigJim

• GTA Donations
RE: Airguns all day
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 12:35:45 PM »

Kirby:

I pretty much did the same thing Saturday (minus the grass cutting). I have been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately so Sharon shut the bedroom door and left it shut. I slept until 11:30 and got up and ate. Then the fun started! A cool front had come through (wish I had gotten up now) and it was 75 at noon in Alabama! I dragged the bench and rest out, got my shooters out and proceeded to send lead downrange. The Whisper has settled down and is much smoother. I had also removed the Gamo base, flipped the factory mount around to allow it to fit in the receiver a few nights back. This with the GRT trigger smoothing out made it a joy. I wound up shooting for 4 straight hours going through all the types of pellets that 30+ years has accumulated (see Reviews for more details). I bet my blood pressure dropped 20 points and I slept great for the next 2 nights. I recommend this highly.

Jim

Offline gamo2hammerli

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 04:03:37 PM »
Didn't do any repairs or modifying on my airguns saturday.....but did spent 6 hrs. shooting the Crosman Storm XT and RWS Diana 24 (About 300 pellets each).  First time I put the Diana thru a long session of shooting.  I zero those air rifle for 10 meters (For the GTA Shooting Matches).....so at 40 meters, the Storm I've to hold-over about an inch.  For the 500 fps Diana 24 I've to hold-over about a foot!!!! heh heh
Gamo: Expotec .177 + Big Cat .177 + Viper .177 + Whisper .177, Hammerli Titan .177, Diana model 24 .177, RWS-Diana P5 Magnum pistol .177, Crosman: G1 Extreme .177 + Storm XT .177 + Sierra Pro .177 + 1377 pistol .177, Air Arms S410SL .22, BSA Scorpion T10 .22, FX Cyclone .177, Remington Air Master 77 .177 + BB\'s,

Offline kirby999

Day II
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:50:32 AM »
Another full day of airgun shooting . Rode 10 miles this morning on the Rock hopper MTB . Then I started re-doing the sight in and hold over sheet for my PCP's . The shrouded S400C was first . I did an adjustment to the small restrictor screw and set it up to shoot 790-810fps . Then sat down with the chrony and found I can get 52 consistent shots out of it in this range . I ran two fills through it. Then I got out the S400H Classic , I remembered the start pressure on this one (2600psi) and shot a few across the chrony just to check it. I also straitened the scope ,(I never realized it was crooked, until today ) and cleaned off the scope AO to set up new numbers according to measured distances . The marks I had been using were set to "kirby's" yardages that I had walked off in my yard . A couple of months ago I got out a 100 foot tape and marked off from 10 to 55 yards . I found I was only about 4 1/2 yards short at 55 yards with my walked off measurements . LOL No wonder when I would compare yardages after a shot during a field target match , I was always different . So I redid the tape on all 3 PCP's scope , and then started setting them up for a holdover sheet . When the mosquitoes came out in force this evening , I had only finished two of the PCP's . The other one can wait for another day . The only springer I shot today was about 10-15 shots with the Prosport at 30 yards . BTW , for some odd reason ; almost every air rifle I own has decided it prefers CPL's . Even the ones that shot the JSB's so well before . I think maybe this new batch of CPL's are more consistent than ones I've gotten before . Or the JSB's have slid a little in consistency . Two full days of shooting , tomorrow I may take a break . kirby
\" Shooting PCP\'s; I sometimes miss that  unmistakable smell of a springer . \"

Offline BigCat1

Glad to hear
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 11:22:38 AM »
that someone else in the air gun world likes mountain biking also......although I have been riding the road mostly this summer 80 plus miles a week............but still finding some time to throw some lead...............29er's rock :)

Offline kirby999

RE: Glad to hear
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 12:28:59 PM »
I mostly ride on the multi use paths (MUP's) around town. They are mostly converted old sidewalks with lots of potholes and disrupted concrete slabs . some places it's like riding up or down stairs . LOL So a MTB is perfect IMO for where I ride . It's still a lot safer than the main road through town . kirby

Offline BigCat1

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 01:44:35 PM »
I hear ya, most of our paved bike trails are to rough for a road tire.. But we do have a good state park with all the miles of real mountain trails you can handle.