Author Topic: FX Cyclone mini review.  (Read 3810 times)

Offline daved

• http://
FX Cyclone mini review.
« on: September 07, 2008, 02:15:18 AM »
As some of you may be aware, I recently developed a major jones for a PCP repeater.  After much wheeling and dealing, I finally got, not another Air Arms like I was thinking of, but maybe something better, a like new FX Cyclone in .177.  I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about looks and features,  I think Gene did an excellent job of covering all that when he reviewed this same gun almost 2 years ago.  If you're interested (and you should be), look up his review in the Reviews By Author section.  This is going to be mainly first impressions, as I've only had time for one shooting session with it so far.

As I only had one decent scope on hand when the FX arrived, my 44 Mag got pulled off my S400 and installed on the Cyclone temporarily.  Via some more wheeling and dealing, I now have a Bushnell Legend 5-15x40 on it, but no chance to shoot it with that scope yet.  I'll review the scope after I've had a chance to shoot it some, but my first impression is, it's definitely a keeper.  Price is tough to argue with, too.

Didn't take long at all to get zeroed in at 30 yards, and then I settled down to get used to it.  It's a VERY light rifle, under 6 lbs. naked, and still not topping 7 with fairly large glass installed.  Balance is very good, and it shoulders quite nicely.  It's a striking rifle, very nice bluing on the shroud and air tank, and a glossy black enamel on the receiver.  The stock is a black synthetic of some kind, softer than the Gamo synthetics, with some soft, grippy panels on the forearm and pistol grip.  The Biathlon cocking is pretty slick, and seems quicker and easier to operate than the bolt on my S400.  Not sure I'd call it better at this point, but it's pretty nice.  The trigger is adjustable for 1st stage length, 2nd stage engagement, and let off weight.  It has a fully shrouded barrel and a removable air tank with a quick fill probe port.  The safety is manual, in the right place for a right handed shooter, and can be set or unset at any time.  Vince, you'd love it :-)!  I guess my wife summed it up pretty well when she saw it, "Gee, that's a pretty rifle" :-).

Okay, so you want to know how it shoots.  About the same as my Air Arms S400E, which is to say, fabulously!  In short order, I was dropping full mags into 1/4" or less at 30 yards, and missing paint balls only because of pellet induced flyers.  This was at high power with CPH's, like my AA it seems to like the Heavies but not the Lights.  Haven't had a chance to try lower power or other pellets, hopefully I'll get to that today, as well as some chrony strings.  Although good, I wasn't liking the trigger as much as I do my AA, but I made an interesting discovery last night, and it's one that will hopefully be a lesson learned, finally.  I assumed I just needed to tweak the trigger a bit, so after installing the new scope last night, I went about a trigger adjustment.  I have to agree with Dan here, FX needs to rethink this.  I didn't need to remove the stock, but I did have to pull the trigger guard.  At which point, I discovered the whole trigger assembly was loose!  One screw locks it down, like everything else on this rifle when I got it, it was loose.  Tightened that screw, adjusted the 1st stage a bit, and now I think I have something comparable to the AA.  Will find out for sure today.  The shrouded barrel is very effective, I think it's a little quieter than my AA.  Not sure that's a fair comparison, I think the AA packs a little more punch, but I'll need to set my chrony up to verify that.

Overall, my first impression of this rifle is very positive, which is what I'd expect for a rifle that retails for $1300!  I think it will make an excellent hunter and general field gun.  That said, at the moment, I just plain like my Air Arms a little better.  Might just be the difference between a wood and a synthetic stock, but for some reason, the AA feels more "warm and fuzzy" than the FX :-).  That impression may change once I've had a chance to shoot it some more.  And if it doesn't, I suspect I'll have no trouble trading it off on a 410.

One final note and I'll close this for now.  I've heard lots of talk about FX vs. AA when it comes to build quality and valve efficiency, with FX usually coming out on top.  At the moment, I don't think I agree.  These are both fantastic rifles, and a hell of a lot better than anything I ever thought I'd be able to afford when I discovered this crazy little world of ours just 2 years ago.  Don't know about the valving yet, but at the moment, I'd rate them dead even, with the acknowledgment that there's a LITTLE bit of apples and oranges here.  And finally, here's a naked pic from the previous owner, will post better later.

Dave

Offline johncedarhill

RE: FX Cyclone mini review.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 03:40:32 AM »
Good review Dave. Guess you and I need a wood cyclone now _LOL. Have you tried the power adjustment at all?
John
Proud sponsor of more Boston Tea Parties
Remember 9/11!
God bless the troops and the USA!

Offline daved

RE: FX Cyclone mini review.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 03:59:41 AM »
Funny you should mention that, John, I was looking at the thumb hole stock from the Cutlas.... :-).  Don't think it would work, there's a difference in the rear of the receiver.  I tried a few shots at the different power levels, but nothing serious.  It's definitely quieter at low power.  Should have some numbers and more info later today.  Gotta go.

Dave

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: FX Cyclone mini review.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 04:49:10 AM »
Very nice Dave..:) I sure am glad someone else has and FX on the GTA besides myself..:) I recieved my FX first and two years later got my AA PCP's and uther that worrying about scratching or denting the wood on my 410, both the FX 22 and 410 .22 are dead even in performance and accuacy with my eyes..:) I like the FX for the durability when in the bushes.  THat would be the only thing different about them. I guess we are very fortunate to own such great PCP's as these. It is too bad that the prices of these could not be allot lower so more people could afford to experience a quality PCP.

Thanks for sharing Dave and Congratulations.

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
Re: FX Cyclone mini review.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 05:25:09 AM »
Looks like a winner pal!

Really the only thing I like better about the FX guns vs. Air Arms is the biathalon cocking lever.  I've never liked synthetic stocks, but they do make that gun light, just not into the "Future Weapons" looks since I got rid of my Talon.  The S400 is pretty hard to beat, my FX Black Widow repeater w/o the Biathalon cocking wasn't as nice as my S400....so I guess the newer side lever Air Arms guns would probably reign supreme!  But, alas, you finally have a repeater, yay! Haha!

Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline daved

Quick update
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 02:44:35 AM »
Did a fair amount of shooting yesterday, but couldn't get motivated to run a bunch of chrony strings :-).  Did some pellet and accuracy testing at different power settings, at low power it shoots lots of stuff well, even at 30 yards. For an indoor 10 yard winter gun, low power and this rifle will be the answer.   At high power, it only seems to like heavies, which isn't a big surprise, high power averages just over 950 fps with CPH's for a little over 21 fpe.  1/4-3/8" groups at 30 yards are no biggie.  EJ's also shoot well at high power, although I didn't chrony them.  Shot curve with the CPH's was almost a straight line, ES was only 40 fps for about 45 shots with a 2900 psi fill.  For contrast, my S400E is a little more powerful, but not quite as consistent, and it uses more air. I do think the 400 is a tiny bit more accurate.   I definitely need to get more magazines, shooting chrony strings, my brother couldn't quite keep up loading mags for me :-).  Besides, with 5 mags, I'll have an automatic "fill indicator", shoot all 5 and refill.  The trigger adjustment did the trick, this is another fantastic trigger, although I think I may have it set TOO light, especially for a gun that I anticipate getting a lot of field use.  The Bushnell Legend scope performed admirably, but I'll review that separately later.  Bottom line, this is another world class gun, and if it's typical of what FX builds, I can understand why they are so highly regarded.  Time to get to work, later.

Dave