Author Topic: panther 34 possibly fixt...and got a awesome but extremely stupid idea.  (Read 3135 times)

Offline geiger

hello there again

you may remember me from the "serious problem with my rws 34 panther".

a few weeks ago i've got a moly paste, opened the gun for a second time and relubed everything with the moly.
this time around i'll be more cautious with making final conclusions, but i have not seen any trace of smoke or odor since then (shoot around 100 to 200 shots). but like i've said, i'll wait a bit to see if it is really fixed. but i'm enjoying shooting with it, it's still incredibly accurate...i can hit a 10x20cm can consistently from 70m off hand with iron sights.  haven't done an actual accuracy test yet at 10m sorry. :D but i think it's less than 3/4".
awesome rifle!

so now to the other idea....i know you're probably gonna hate me for this, but seems really cool :D

i've been reading on wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caseless_ammunition

and i've came across

One of the first caseless firearm and ammunition systems produced was actually made by Daisy, the airgun maker, in 1968. The V/L Rifle used a .22 caliber (5.5 mm) low powered caseless round with no primer. The rifle was basically a spring-piston air rifle, but when used with the V/L ammunition the energy from the compression of the piston heated the air behind the caseless cartridge enough to ignite the propellant, and this generated the bulk of the energy of firing. The V/L system was discontinued in 1969 after the BATF ruled that it was not an airgun, but a firearm, which Daisy was not licensed to produce.

and i was like "O *_*_*_*_*_*"...
read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_Outdoor_Products (end of page)

so it got me thinking...here comes the stupid part.

i'd buy a used let's say Gamo shadow or some even lower model in .22 caliber. get some TS gamo pellets...why TS because they are heavy and i've seen the have a large and a really hollow skirt. and finally buy some blank ammunition, take the propellant out and glue the stuff in the skirt of the pellet.

i'n theory it would be cool to achieve the 1200fps (300m/s) with .22 cal. thing is i'm not sure if the relatively small amount of propellant would be able to assist the compressed air to reach those velocities.

i realize that making intentional "dieseling" will destroy the spring and seal. but being a gamo and having a official retailer near me i don't see that as too much as a problem...except maybe if the spring or seal wont even last 100 shots. i presume the barrel would need to be cleaned like a regular firearm, do you see the possibility of damaging other parts of the gun?
and another idea would also be to get a gamo whisperer with the gas ram, which i think would probably nullify the spring problem.

i know this deviates from the term air gun. but i'd be doing this just for kicks that anything else...since Daisy did it, maybe it's not such an impossible idea after all.

the problems i see now are:
i don't have a chrony,
a used air rifle...well i have the money to buy one...but' i'd really hate if it would turn out useless and wasted money,
i'm not sure what glue or compound should be used for fixing the gunpowder, probably something that does not leave any residue after the burn that might clog up the barrel.

now you can freely burn me as a heretic :P

Offline daveshoot

• http://
RE: panther 34 possibly fixt...and got a awesome but extremely stupid idea.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 02:55:32 AM »

What kind of chamber pressure do you think that would create, with which propellant?

I'll bet the Daisy engineers calculated that ahead of time. They would have known the ignition point of the propellant and the energy it would create. And, they would know the rating of the breech in which this was designed to happen, which may not have been airgun steel.

It was an interesting read but I wouldn't try this one myself.We already have powder burners designed to handle powder and if high velocity and big noise are the goal I am going to grab one of them.

Steroid Sheridan rocker, Daisy 990, SS1000, B26-2, QB-57, Crosman 150 (TW), Crosman 1377 x 2,  RWS5G, MP513, IZH53, RWS9N/Cometa, MP661k Drozd, Walther Falcon Hunter, RWS 34 Panther, XS-B3-1, Cummins B3s, RWS94 Cometa x 2, RWS48, Beeman R7, Daisy Avanti 853, RWS92 Cometa 220, Beeman P3, IZH-46M x 2, Daisy Avanti 747, Diana 24, B5-10, BSA Lightning .22, Crosman Marauder #39 .22, Crosman 1322 Phase 1, Diana Model 20, HW70, Shin Sung Dragon Slayer .50, Haenel Model 26, Slavia 620, HW45/.177

Offline arathol

• http://
Well you got it half right
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 02:55:50 AM »
Just leave a note where to send the flowers.
Thats just plain dangerous. Pellets are not intended to have propellant charges behind them. What usually happens is the charge blows the pellet apart in the barrel, separating the head from the skirt. HW made such a gun, the EL54, powered not by powdered propellent but by ether. Very unpleasant to shoot, not real reliable either.
Its also pretty irresponsible to even post such a thing on a public forum where kids (not to mention unknowing adults) can see it. Some one could get hurt trying this. Its bad enough to suggest putting gunpowder in an air rifle, but actually pulling apart cartridges to get it?  This kind of stuff puts airgunners in a bad light. If you want a rifle that uses gunpowder, buy a fire arm. Doing stuff like this to skirt the law is a bad idea.

Offline geiger

RE: Well you got it half right
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 03:11:48 AM »
heh...well i agree with you, but it seemd  an interesting idea to try out.
but buying new equipment just for kicks is quite silly and wasteful but if i had stuff lying around i'd probably do it.

as for safety i'm sure i'd use full protection, but the blanks i'm talking about are small and probably not too much more powerful than a kids firecracker.

i'm probably gonna scrap this idea, but one day if i'll have plentiful resources i might try it.

one thing i didn't think about is the pellet exploding. i think brisance is the factor here, gunpowder and smokeless gunpowder is low explosive. ether on the other hand i think it's more explosive.