Author Topic: Lead-free pellet?  (Read 4349 times)

Offline davekmd

• GTA Donations
Lead-free pellet?
« on: November 18, 2008, 03:55:02 AM »
Folks, this is my first post here at GTA.  I've been thinking about getting an air rifle for some time and have just started my research.  I used to casually plink .22 rimfire rifles (CZ 452) and handguns (S&W 22A and Walther P99/22),  but a quiet (backyard) air rifle is an appealing diversion. (range time gets expensive and it's quite a pain doing all the prep, travel, unload, set-up, shoot, break down/pack up, travel home, etc.)  

Shamelessly I've honed in on the Gamo Whisper (primarily from their ads).  And yes I was surprised at the number of COST of air rifles and accessories!!!!

In any event, I think I'd really prefer to shoot non-lead pellets.  I've seen one posting for Silver Eagle pellets and the shooter was not impressed at all (I think these have been discontinued).  I have managed to get one recommendation for .177 (Skenco Pellets with the plastic sleeve).  In any event, does anyone else have experience and/or heard of basic, plinking non-lead pellet?  Yes, I would like some precision and accuracy, but by no means do I intend to become an expert.   Yes, I'll probably use a scope and for now the much maligned Gamo provided scope since my eyes just aren't as good as they used to be!  No, I don't intend on hunting, although I used to hunt in my youth.  Nope on competition (I don't need actual, verifiable evidence of being mediocre!).  Yes, I'd like it to be cost effective too (sorry).

I figure I'd shoot paper targets and the like from maybe 25ft-50 ft away.  I was figuring the Gamo Whisper in .22, but already I've gotten other feedback that the .177 might be a better choice.  I do need to  stay sub-sonic though (noise).  Any recommendations are most appreciated for caliber (.22 .vs. 177) and non-lead choices OR any experience with trying to go non-lead but then giving up.  (I.e., if I'm concerned about lead contamination should I just invest in a target trap and will a trap contain the lead (does it fragment))?

Thanks in advance.

Offline RCnMo

• http://
Re: Lead-free pellet?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 04:31:03 AM »
Welcome to the GTA Dave. I don't have any experience with the lead free pellets. I won't be able to help you there. I have read where the lead free pellets don't perform as well as the lead pellets. If you are anything like the rest of us, eventually, mediocre accuracy just won't be good enough and you will want to step up to better  pellets. As far as lead contamination, I haven't tried any of the commercial traps. I built a cone trap out of steel and I have a bucket under the spout. It seems to catch most of the lead I hurl at it. Most of the gunners here use duct seal in their traps and it catches all of the goodies. You just have to replace it every few thousand rounds. .22 vs .177 is one of the big fire starters. More often than not, the .22 will carry more energy to it's intended target than a .177.  The .22 is less affected by wind due to it's mass. However, the .177 will normally fly faster than the .22 out of the same type of rifle, therefore reaching it's target with less drop. I have a .22 that shoots as well as my .177's, so it's kind of your preference. I have to order my .22 pellets due to the selection around here being slim. That's mainly why I stick to the .177.
CFX .177, RWS 34 Panther .177, B26 .177, B30 .177, B40 .177, Crosman Quest .177(gave it to my brother),Crosman G1 .177, B3 .177, B2 .177, QB 78 .177, TF89 .22, Crosman 1377, P17

Offline HNT5

RE: Lead-free pellet?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 06:22:42 AM »
Welcome to the GTA, Dave. Part of the problem with non lead pellets is they tend to be light for the caliber because they are made of some alloy mix. When pushed at a high velocity that really hurts accuracy.  They also are more expensive than lead pellets. Not to big a problem unless you start getting hooked and shoot a lot! If you're concerned about lead, a duct seal based trap will catch almost all the lead. A metal trap like the Outers Rimfire will have some fragmenting and they are very loud. May not be the most neighbor friendly. Duct seal traps are very quiet. Replacement duct seal is available at Home Depot and it's not expensive. You can buy a ready made trap or build your own from scrap lumber (like I did). If you plan to punch paper @ 25 to 50 ft you need not buy the most powerful rifle (i.e.one advertised @ 1000fps). They tend to be louder, harder to cock, tiring after a long shooting session and can be more difficult to shoot accurately. A medium powered springer( say 500 to 700ish fps) would serve you just as well.
Again welcome to the GTA

Regards
Nathan

Offline tjk

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:04:38 AM »
Dave, Lead free pellets are in my opinion worthless!!!! Too lite for springer,....resembling a dry-fire,...and ruinning springs, and seals. Stick with a good quality lead pellet like JSB's, RWS's, and Gamo/Crosmans. Also, non-lead pellets tend to ricochet  alot more,...and at close range like you've described shooting at,...Saftey glasses are paramount!!!! If you choose to build your own pellet trap, try a triple layer of 3/4" plywood,....size is your option, but with a piece of 16/18 gauge steel sheething between the first and second layer of P wood. I use oil absorbant cloth to slow down the pellets, but even then it needs to be replaced periodicaly,...as well as the top layer of wood  after several thousands of rounds. A piece of old carpet can be used in place of the OA cloth too. Whatever you have handy laying around. Best of luck, and welcome to the GTA,...it's a great place to be. tjk
397 Benji-98\' model    
Marksman  0035, My Fav!,CDT T\'d
Crosman Sierra-Pro,.177
Benji 392 08\'
CDT TT\'d RWS 34 .22,CP 4-16X40 AO
MM T\'d Marksman 0035
Crosman G1 Extreme
Daisy PowerLine 1000
TF-97 .22
B-28A MM T\'d
B-28 OEM Tuned by me
Beeman .22 RX-2 w/Theoben GR
Beeman .177 R1 Santa Rosa

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 11:42:03 AM »
A Big Welcome Dave, to the GTA. Was wondering when you were gonna pop in. Just by asking for help here is a contribution. So I am learning some stuff I did not know..:) The GTA is full of seasoned experienced air gunners with lots of specific information that helps new air gunners. The GTA is for everyone, new and old. We are one big Family Here..:) The pellet trap that the guys are speaking of you will find information in the GTA library about building them from scratch. If you do a search you will find many of us have made and bought pellet traps from other GTA members. Sush as these, made by Timmy.
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline davekmd

• GTA Donations
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 12:54:08 AM »
Thanks all for the replies, I can see that lead-free pellets are perhaps something pretty new but I think will probably enter the 'sport' as will lead-free ammunition for firearms.  I guess it's just a bit early for that technology, some false starts, but if current events are any indication, it'll be here a few years as we all become more aware of our impact on the environment and also environmental criticisms being leveled against shooting in general.  And before anyone labels me as a fringe nut environmentalist, I'm not, but I do believe we must tread lightly upon the land and make every effort to leave it in as good or better shape for those that follow us!  So it looks like I need to acquire a trap and shoot lead for awhile!

And now another question, given that we are moving into winter here in the Balto/Wash area. and I'm just making plans on getting the Gamo Whisper.  What are the affects of cold weather on a 'springer' air gun, e.g., shooting in 20 or 30 or 40 degree weather.  I did stumble upon a bit of information that CO2 powered guns are impacted, due I'm guessing to the drop in pressure from the cold temps.

Thanks again. DaveK

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 01:01:00 AM »
Hey Dave, there are plenty of guys who hunt during the winter months with springers. Check out the GTA Hunting Gate. There should be little change in the way a springer performs in cold weather conditions.

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin