Author Topic: Daisy 901 Powerline  (Read 5384 times)

Offline 6speed

• GTA Donations
Daisy 901 Powerline
« on: November 23, 2008, 06:52:00 AM »
I bought the 901 Daisy after surfing the web for a considerable amount of time.  During this period I learned more about air rifles than one should know.  Confusion reigned supreme.  Questions emerged with type Co2, Springer, Pneumatic (pump & hp air), price, durability, caliber and on it goes.  Then I remembered something that BB stated concerning why he started writing about air rifles.  He stated that he did this for the guy that just wants to shoot a little and spend the same, in other words for the common guy.  I think we can become so engrossed with a subject that it distorts our goal which in my case was to try to shoot a little and have some fun.  To try something different.

My first foray into air rifles began a few years earlier with a Daisy 880 and lasted less than a month.  First and foremost I would recommend that any "Prospect" should buy a target and determine where he or she is going to shoot.  If you don't accomplish this simple task and have a plan you will not shoot very long because it will become a hassle.  An air rifle for me was something to do without going anyplace.

The 901 came into view from a few reviews I read online.  I was very hesitant because of my previous experience with the 880.  But if you remember I "learned" on the web.  So here goes I load up and drive 130 miles to buy a $50.-- 901 and least we forget a Black Hole archery target (16 X 20 X 11 deep) targets, pellets, pelgun oil all for $111.-- .

My first impression of the 901 was that this is a definite improvement over the 880.  This rifle has a composite stock and shoulders very well.  There aren't any casting lines on mine that can cut into your skin and the dove tails seem quite significant compared to the 880. This is a very rugged package with the exception of the barrel and front sight.  This is to be expected for a rifle in this price range.  The bolt is stiff and can be annoying at times.  Some people voice concern that it might break.  I read the owners manual and took the suggestion that one dry fire it to the point that it becomes a matter of routine.  I oiled the rifle set the target up and began the process of zeroing it.  Thing was I couldn't shoot-see what happens when you neglect your training!  After becoming familiar with this rifle mine shoots better that I do and would group at least 1/4" with a rest at 10 meters or better.  I can get it into a 1" freehand at that distance now that I purchased a Leepers 4 X 32 scope.

Some things that I want to alert people about this rifle is the firing sequence.  Proceed as follows:  1- Open the bolt and then push it forward to cover the bb port so that pellets do not lodge into this area.  2-Put on the Safety.  3-Pump 1-10 no more.  4-Load.  5-Close the bolt.  6-Aim.  7-Off the Safety.  8-Shoot.  This might seem simple but most complaints about this rifle result from not following these steps.  Such complaints vary from pellets lodging in the bb port to the safety not on while pumping-just crazy.  This light weight rifle will shoot better than 90 % of the people are able to.  It is a variable pump to 750 Fps which come in handy for different situations.  Shoot only pellets if you want to keep the accuracy.

The best thing about this rifle is time is its friend.  It gets better with use-trigger, pump.  This is one fine little shooter for the money nice enough that I put a (Leapers)  $40.-- scope on it.  I now own a Daisy 22SG and wish that it would be offered in this configuration.  I want to mention that the 22SG is also a fine entry into the air rifle field.  There are some drawbacks to this rifle but for fifty they can be overcome with practice (loading).  I absolutely love the .22 CALIBER (larger thus easier to handle) but the crack of this 901 is addictive.  There you go no more excuses get your fifty and have some fun that's what its all about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!