Author Topic: Which Lubricants?  (Read 3788 times)

Offline tolly

• GTA Donations
Which Lubricants?
« on: November 28, 2008, 12:04:27 PM »
Right, Ive given all the rifle internals a good clean and polish now on my QB and am starting to look into what lubes to use in various parts, but i seem to be getting differing opinions.

I was thinking of using.....

100% Silicone Grease on all the O-rings obviously.

Thin coat of Silicone Oil (30weight) on the CO2 tube wall.

Then the rear of the CO2 tube walls i was going to not use silicone oil but use Moly Grease instead as i read Silicone Oil is no good for steel on steel lubrication.

Then for the cocking block, hammer sping and hammer i was going to use moly grease aswell, so basically the whole rear of the co2 tube in moly grease.

This is were i get confused as the moly grease seems really thick and viscous and surely this would slow the hammer down as it travels?

Also, what should i use to lube the valve assembly and breach and bolt?

After i've given the barrel another clean aswell does that need any lubrication aswell?

Offline mikeiniowa

• http://airgunartisans.com/flyingdragon
RE: Which Lubricants?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 01:52:05 PM »
Mix at 50/50 some non detergent motor oil (20 or 30 wt) with automatic transmission fluid put one or two drops on the hammer after it has been installed, after you have the cocking block installed with the moly on it add one drop also, use a good medium weight grease on the bolt, you may also want to put one drop of the oil mix on the front of the bolt where it sticks out of the reciever place it so it will run inside the reciever, one or two drops can be placed  in the bolt handle opening with the bolt closed and allow it to run inside, silicone grease on all the oil rings, you can use straight non detergent oil in the valve, 2 or 3 drops before installing then a drop on the end of the first cylinder every 500 shots or so, to much lube will gum up the valve, you don't really need to oil the inside of the gas tube but it won't hurt just don't go over board, I have one QB-78 thats never had any lube added to it in 5 years and shoots great and cocks very smoothly....if the rifle is going to sit for a long time you can pull an oiled patch through before storing, pull a clean dry patch through before using again...

Offline ribbonstone

• http://
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 02:14:26 PM »
Sounds like good advice from Mike.  I'll often put  one little drop of pelgun oil (or ATF) onto the tip of a 12gr. cartridge every 200-300 pellets or so. Barrel generally won't need any added oil, a little bit gets vaporized and blown out by the co2.

Are right about thick grease slowing the hammer, I'd probably avoid using it for that.  Mikes 50/50 mix would work as well as anything else, just don't use a whole lot of it as excess oil just attracts dirt/dust/etc.
Robert

Offline Big_Bill

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »

Thanks Mike !

I have been waiting for your reply to this question. Being realy new to the QB-78, this is great information to have.

Bill

Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !

Offline tolly

• GTA Donations
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 01:03:07 PM »
cheers for the info gents.

just being doing a bit of modding work as it goes, i've carefully drilled out the exhaust valve body slightly larger with a 6.2mm bit so that i can insert my ice-maker poly tubing straight into it for the breach seal. I made sure i stopped just before i went all the way through with the drill though so the tubing has a "depth stop" if you like and can only be pushed in so far.

Offline tolly

• GTA Donations
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 11:11:01 AM »
Mike, I looked everywhere for non detergent oil today but cant find any, even on the internet :(

The nearest i saw was one with a mild detergent.

Is there anything else i could use on the hammer that will work aswell?

Offline mikeiniowa

• http://airgunartisans.com/flyingdragon
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 11:45:48 AM »
You should be able to find it at any auto parts store, you can use straight tranny fluid, one or two drops is all thats needed, push the hammer all the way forward and put a drop on the top, slide it all the way back and put a drop on the rear ring, run it back and forth a few times to spread the lube evenly.....

Offline Jaymo

Re: Which Lubricants?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 02:35:26 PM »
I have to be honest. I've been using ATF and also the Chinese air gun oil that comes in the cleaning/parts kits for close to 15 years now. Haven't had any problems with either. ATF is great stuff, penetrates and removes rust, conditions seals, lubricates. I just don't much like the smell. I work with it on a regular basis, so I'm kinda used to it. It sure smells better than 90w gear lube.
15th Battalion, Mississippi Sharpshooters, CSA.

Il buono, il cattivo, ed il brutto.

\"Mmm, bacon.\"
\"Squirrel.\"
\"Mmm, squirrel.\"