Author Topic: Air Arms S200 .177 with magazine system  (Read 8108 times)

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
Air Arms S200 .177 with magazine system
« on: December 06, 2008, 03:17:20 PM »
I have wanted one of these little guns for a long time.  I first shot one 2 1/2 years ago and the urge just stuck.  Everytime I've had the spare airgun bucks in hand another deal has come up for a different model, this time I was determined to get my hands on one.

A week or so ago I contacted Joe "Cuz" Lamonica of Long Island Airguns.  Joe quoted me a price, an email handshake was made and the money was sent.  I sat here with my stomach in knots waiting for her to arrive and she finally did last week.  I've been super busy with work, kids, wife, life, etc, so I only finally got to shoot it today a week later.  I was also waiting for the last bits to arrive in the mail including the magazine system and some high rings to clear the magazine, today I finally had all of the pieces in hand and I went to work mounting the Centerpoint 4x16x40AOIR scope on Accushot high rings as well as the multishot conversion kit.  When I first installed the kit the magazine wouldn't index, so I tore it back down.  What I found was a little molding sprue left on the magazine holder, a little swipe with a hobby knife and we were freewheeling and indexing just fine.  I also installed a BSquare scope bubble level to the rearmost point on the dovetails to not only aid in shooting, but also to help with scope mounting and aligning the crosshairs plumb.  Some people from other reviews I have read complained that mounting a scope on this gun is a chore, well I didn't have that problem.  I have the rings, the magazine system hold down and the bubble level exactly where I wanted them, no fuss at all.  I guess compared to a springer with full length dovetails there is a little more planning involved in scope mounting, but again it went just how I wanted it.  The scope I chose may be a little large for this little shooter, but I have been really happy with the Wallyworld Centerpoint scopes, dollar for dollar they are hard to beat.  With everything mounted up I hooked her up to the pump for her first fill since she got home.  Air Arms has changed the fill adapter on the AA S4XX series guns from the old giant Faster fitting to a new quarter turn clamp deal.  I was worried that the new gun would have yet another probe to deal with, but I was pleasantly surprized to see that Air Arms has incorperated the same fill coupling found on the S4XX series gun on the S200 series guns as well, so one coupling for both of my Air Arms guns.  She came with about 140bar already in her, so pumping the little 122cc tube up to 190 bar was no problem at all.  Scoped, leveled, installed, pumped, ready to load and shoot.  Here comes the downside.....if you are a normal sized adult human you will find the stock a little smallish and uncomfortable.  Not so uncomfortable that you can't get a good hold and sight picture, but it's definately aimed at the junior sized shooter.  The finish and even the lazer cut stippling looks real good, just the shape of the stock that is a little smallish.

On with the good stuff, how's she shoot?!!

I loaded up 10 JSB Exact 4.52's into the 10 shot mag and proceded to sight her in.  2-3 shots and I was mostly zeroed, so I finished the other 7 shots and unloaded them into the target.  First I tried some JSB 4.50's just to rule them out, but the first two groups on my target show that they group great.  These are all 10 shot groups at 15 measured yards, indoors.  Next was the 4.52's I sighted in with and the group was just about the same as with the 4.50's, maybe a hair looser, but I wont know till I stretch out to 30 yards or so for sure.  Next I shot Crosman Premier 7.9 grain lights.  The Crosmans also grouped well, but not quite as well as the JSB's.  Next shooting session I'll try some Crosman Heavies 10.5 grain and some Beeman Kodiaks at 10.6 grains, both of those pellets have worked well for me in most of my gas guns.  Also worth noting is that the JSB's cycled real smooth through the magazine system with no real felt drag from the bolt compared to the single shot tray.  The Crosman Premier lights didn't cycle so smooth, they actually were a bit hard to push into the barrel when closing the bolt, could be why their accuracy isn't all that great too, they could be getting a little mangled during loading.

These groups were shot with a gun straight out of the box, I haven't even pulled a patch through the barrel yet, but so far it looks real promising.  After the 50 shots were fired I hooked her back up to the pump and pumped her up from 130bar back up to 190.  Wont really know what she's doing till I get her ran over the chrony, but so far 50 shots on 60bar with a pretty painless refill is great.  The gun isn't as quiet as some other guns I've shot in the same power range, but I was able to shoot from the dining room table out to my garage with no serious dirty looks from my wife in the living room, but I did promise to only shoot for 30 minutes....so she could see the light at the end of the tunnel I guess.

I've read how this gun is considered the PCP alternative to the Beeman R7 and I would have to agree, it has the same "charm" to it that the R7 does.  It would make a great gun for a young shooter, but even the adults will love it.  Also worth noting is that there is no safety on this gun, but I've never liked safeties anyways, would much rather point the gun in a safe direction and not load till ready to shoot...keep the safety between my ears.  The trigger on this gun is "ok" as it comes from the box.  It's totally adjustable and I just haven't set it up the way I like it, manual says you can adjust it down to a few ounces, it's probably 3 pounds from the box.  The trigger shoe is plastic, as is the barrel band, might have been nice to see a little more metal on small things like this from a fairly high priced shooter, but they do perform their function and there are aftermarket pieces available to replace them with aluminum or brass if desired.  All in all I am thrilled with this little gun and feel it will fit in nicely with the rest of my collection.  Happy shooting!

Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: Air Arms S200 .177 with magazine system
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 04:38:19 PM »

Review is well done Dano. The TX 200 sure likes thos JSB's..:) With that scope your targets must look like baloons...:) But when you find a scope that you like then we are proned to stay with them..:) I sure liked the Simmons Pro Air for my springers because they are so lite wt. I did put the Simmon White Tail 50's on my two PCP's and I think they weigh in at about 20 oz. I am glad that you finally got what you have been working up to for the last couple years though. Do you think you will have a new stock made for it? or leave it like it is? The shot count is fantastic since you do not have a scuba tank and fill station yet. Maybe Santa will bring one for Christmas...:) Oh! by the way what took Joe Joe so long to deliver it.. hehe

How do you like the add on rotary clip Dano?

Give us some more pictures please.

THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 11:41:30 PM »
Fine review Airbud :) and it sounds like your happy with her overall. As Gene mentioned about the stock, you thinking about baby carving one and stretching it out some for yourself?. She sure has got some nice lines and look forward to any mod's you decide to add to her. :) Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline kirby999

• http://
RE: Air Arms S200 .177 with magazine system
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 11:53:44 PM »
Good one Dan; Everything sounds about normal for a S200 . LOL I think you have another keeper there. kirby
\" Shooting PCP\'s; I sometimes miss that  unmistakable smell of a springer . \"

Offline DanoInTx

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 03:48:40 PM »
The stock has a good chance of getting replaced.  I spoke with Steve Corcoran this afternoon and he makes a very nice replacement stock, I just have to come up with a few more airgun bucks so I can order one.  When I bought this gun I actually looked around quite a bit trying to find a scope in the sub $150 price range that I liked better than the $69 Centerpoint scopes and didn't find one with the features I wanted so I stuck with what I had, and the Centerpoint was just collecting dust here on my desk...so on it went:)  I keep the mag down at about 6X-8X magnafication for most of the shooting I do, and these scopes work well at that level, at about 13-16X they wash out a little.  The self indexing mag is sweet.  Like I said it had a little extra nub of plastic on it from the factory, but once I scraped that off it indexes like a champ.  Oh yea, and I know other people were wondering a few weeks back on the forum, the mag does completely self index, just pop in the mag and start shooting, no need to advance it by hand.  The pump works fine for me, I have never really been bothered too much with the pump except maybe when I owned my TalonSS.  The Talon has a 490cc air tank and can be a bear to pump, this S200 only has a 122cc air tank, it's no problem at all...I think my AA S400C has a slightly larger tank, but it's not bad either.  I may get a tank at some point though, and I did mention it to my wife where to buy one if she felt inclined during Christmas:)  When I get really tired of pumping I still have my bulk filled AR2078 and a 20oz. CO2 bottle, so I can plink when I get tired of pumping.

Take care Mr.Gene,
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline DanoInTx

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 03:52:22 PM »
The stock is definately a shortcoming with this rifle, but I wont be reshaping it, I'll most likely replace it altogether with one of these:

Dan

\"repeat this mantra:

Offline PeakChick

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 03:55:15 AM »
Very nice review on your new AA S200 Dan. Congrats! I agree with you that the S200 is very much the "R7" of PCP rifles.
The current stable, (arsenal, quiver?): BSA Lightning XL .177, BSA Sportsman HV .22, BSA Ultra .177, CZ634 .177, Daystate Harrier X .177, TAU 200 Senior .177, HW 97 .177, HW 50s .177, HW 30 .177, RWS 92 .177, Gamo 126 MC Super, Gamo Big Cat .177, AR2078A, QB78 .177, Quest 1000 .177, Beeman SS650 .177., Beeman P17 .177.

Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

Offline DanoInTx

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 12:03:16 PM »
PeakChick - 12/8/2008  10:55 AM

Very nice review on your new AA S200 Dan. Congrats! I agree with you that the S200 is very much the "R7" of PCP rifles.

Thanks Steph, it's a real nice little shooter for sure.  I think if I were a hunter and not just a paper killer it would make a nice sparrow gun.  Enough power for really small game and lightweight and handy enough to carry all day long.  I really am starting to focus on carbine length guns too, I hate a front heavy gun, and this one fits that bill.  So far at least I would have to say that your Tau-200 has this beat in the accuracy department, but I haven't tried a whole bunch of different pellets yet either and at further than 10M it will have much better range....that danged Tau is tough to beat:)

Dan

\"repeat this mantra:

Offline kirby999

Hey Dan
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 01:29:39 AM »
Have you tried turning the power down on your S200 for indoor shooting? Just wondering how much quieter it is . Does the 10 shot adapter make cocking the rifle any harder ? I had a S410 bolt action once and it took a little extra effort to cock than do my S400's .  kirby
\" Shooting PCP\'s; I sometimes miss that  unmistakable smell of a springer . \"

Offline arnie3981

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 02:28:02 AM »
Is it right that the S200 doesn't have a pressure gauge to see how much air is left?

Offline daved

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 02:54:39 AM »
Depends on which model you order, and where you order it.  Mine is a hybrid, a sporter action in a target stock, with a removable tank.  My tank doesn't have a gauge, but I could order one if I wanted to.  If you'd like to put together something similar, talk to TGAG, Top Gun Air Guns.  They're listed in the mall.  Later.

Dave

Offline arnie3981

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 05:01:10 AM »
Thanks! Does the S200 have enough power for small game like pigeons/crows etc?

Offline DanoInTx

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 05:15:56 AM »
Pigeans probably, crows I don't know.  It is a sub-fac gun, down at 11fpe or so, might be good for starlings or maybe grackle, crows may be too big.  They also make this gun in a .22 version though and I think you can get about 16fpe out of it with a tune, might be ok for some bigger critters like crows.  One thing to note is that the latest version of the S200, the "MK3" is difficult to adjust the power on, as a matter of fact I haven't really figured out how to do it yet.  The hammer spring tension screw has no slot to turn in it, I've been told that it can still be adjusted with some work, and on mine the transfer port screw appears to be loc-tited in place with some of the good stuff, possibley red loc-tite.....might strip the allen wrench before it turns.  Personally I bought this as a paper puncher/plinker, so I don't really care about power.  Mine is currently "away on business" at the stockmakers workshop getting fitted for a new stock.  I just could never get comfortable with the standard stock, although DaveD tells me his target stock fits him like a glove.
Dan

\"repeat this mantra:

Offline daved

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 06:04:55 AM »
I think mine's a Mk. II, although it has the same semi-adjustable hammer spring screw that Dan's has.  However, mine is a .177 and can be adjusted to just over 16 fpe with a little fiddling.  Shot count goes to hell, maybe 20 shots on a fill, but at that level, crows would not be a problem, I've taken ground hogs with a 16 fpe .177 before.  The .22 version will go to 20 fpe IIRC, and will probably get a better shot count than mine at that level.  Like Dan said, I REALLY like the target stock on mine, it makes this a very nice rifle for shooting off hand, something I've never been very good at before.  I can turn it down in the winter for indoor 10M shooting, then back up in the spring for longer range targets and critters.  Decided it was enough rifle for my needs that I sold my Cyclone, something I didn't think I'd ever do.  Later.

Dave

PS I just looked at the pics of Dan's gun from the initial post and I can see why it doesn't fit him as well as mine fits me.  They made some changes in the grip area of the stock, and generally simplified it, I'm sure to cut costs.  Although the differences are subtle, they are differences that would directly impact grip feel and shooter comfort.  Get the target stock instead of the one piece :-)!  Later.