Author Topic: CZ-634 / .177 A fine medium power springer-Revisited  (Read 8137 times)

Offline TCups

• http://
CZ-634 / .177 A fine medium power springer-Revisited
« on: December 16, 2008, 09:36:21 PM »
Thank you Gene Curtis. As my dad used to say, every so often, even a blind hog finds an acorn. With the help of Gene, I found this beautiful little springer that I would otherwise have probably overlooked. Having the opportunity to shoot Gene's CZ-634 convinced me in very short order to reconsider. Better yet, Gene Curtis not only picked the rifle up for me, he tuned it, re-worked the trigger, and added one of his custom MB's. And with my suggestions plus Gene's patience and skill, he also added a custom front sight to the rifle. It has quickly become a favorite, so here is the review I owe you, Gene. The CZ-643 weighs in at about 6.25 lbs. scoped as shown, with overall lenght 42 in., barrel length 17 in., and length of pull 14 in. The hardwood stock is of very good quality and the ergonomics of the rifle seem very good for a full sized adult shooter (perhaps a bit better than the HW30/R7 which by comparison feels just a bit petite). With Gene's tune, the .177 is shooting at about 725 fps. And the trigger work, Gene, is superb. Having shot another couple of hundred rounds through the rifle, the trigger has settled in and is light, crisp, and of equal quality to the Rekord triggers on my HW30 and R9GF. The MB is fitted with two set screws on the bottom, but Gene has drilled and treaded a third hole on the top end of the MB to allow an allen screw to be used as the front sight, the original globe sight having been removed to accommodate the MB. At my suggestion, and with a bit of trial and error, Gene also turned a threaded Al post of the correct height to serve as a front sight. The threads are tapped all the way through the post. By snugging a set screw in the front of the MB, then screwing the post down on the exposed part of the set screw, the post can be snugged up on the front of the MB. Finally, a second set screw can be screwed into the top of the post and set to a height that corresponds to the depth of the notch in the rear sight, giving a perfect sight picture. For now, I have removed the front sight and replaced it with a flush-fitted set screw, but the front sight can be very easily re-attached. (See: http://www.gatewaytoairguns.com/airguns/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12448&mid=98003#M98003 for the gun with open sights). One unusual feature of the barrel is a breech lock mechanism. The lock is operated by a slide just in front of the forestock on the underside of the barrel. It seemed a bit cumbersome at first, but its function is pretty easily understood. When the breech on this air rifle locks up, it is very solid and has no perceptible barrel droop. A good design to improve the accuracy of a break barrel springer, I think. Also, the forestock is squared off with a flat undersurface. The feel is exactly the same as the forestock of my Walther LGR-U. It sets very nicely in the flat of the palm of the hand and makes it quite easy to appreciate instantly if there is any cant of the rifle position when shooting. The grooves on the side of the forestock are comfortable. The rifle shoots well either with a simple palm rest or with a light hold between thumb and forefinger on the grooved stock. Both feel very natural to the shooter. The safety mechanism is in line with the compression tube and is a simple in/out push actuated with the thumb. It automatically resets on cocking and is easy and natural to release when ready to shoot. One slight quirk -- if the trigger is pulled with the safety on, then the safety is just a bit sticky to release unless the trigger is nudged forward. I suspect this will smooth out a bit with continued use. With the BSA 2-7X 32 MM AO, easy focus for shooting from 5 meters to infinity is possible. I shot this 5-shot group at 5 meters this morning, off hand. When Gene and I were playing with the front sight, I (accidentally?) put three pellets through the same hole at about 25 yards with open sights. Hitting a swinging golf ball at 25 yards with open sights was pretty easy, too. Nice! One quirk, though, the rails are 14 mm wide and require mounts that will open a bit wider than the standard 11 mm / 3/8ths inch. The mounts here are the AA two-piece, advertised at fitting 9 mm - 13.5 mm. They are open wide, but seem secure enough. I believe Gene used the Leapers 2-piece mounts and inverted the lower jaw on the mounts to give an extra couple of mm to the mounts. In summary, the CZ-634 responds very nicely to a tune, has an excellent trigger, and is a high-quality, accurate mid-powered springer. Retailing now for $179 - $200, it performs as well as its German counterpoints, the HW30 and R7 at a substantially lower price. It is a real jewel and and absolute pleasure to shoot. Looking for a good, light weight, medium power springer? You should seriously consider the CZ-634..

Offline riflejunkie

RE: CZ-634 / .177 A fine medium power springer
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 12:14:59 AM »
Is that an oil finish on the stock?  I love the retro look of the stock.  I'm pretty fond of anything CZ.  I have 4 452's and they are all excellent prozac replacement.  Thanks for the review.
Daisy 853 with apertures; FWB 300S with apertures; Mike Melick tuned B-26 and B-40.
Dog - George, RIP

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
Re: CZ-634 / .177 A fine medium power springer
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:00:44 PM »
When I see something like that I usually have 3 simple words....."I want one!".  Oh no, looks like my finances will have to find a will and a way again:)
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline TCups

Re: CZ-634 / .177 A fine medium power springer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 01:23:56 PM »
Well, perhaps you should just mention to Gene that you think it would be nice to have him tune one for you.  I'll bet that the next thing you know, it will be ready for you (especially if you feed him well first).  Gene really did a super fine job on this air rifle, and unlike me, he didn't procrastinate.  So, it ended up saving me some money since Gene ordered the CZ for me right before the price on went up.  And, he also gave me a great deal on the tune, as far as I am concerned, especially for the amount and quality of work he did on the CZ.  It is now really a VERY sweet shooting, medium powered springer with quite a bit more "punch" than my HW30s.  Don't get me wrong -- I love the HW30s, but the CZ . . . well, like I said, a real jewel for the amount I have invested.  I love it.

Kudos to Gene Curtis and to Airgun Toys!  Gene is a fine tuner and a great human being.  I am very glad to know him and call him my friend!  Thanks again, Gene.

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: CZ-634 / .177 Re-Visited
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 10:56:24 AM »
Thank You Tommy. It was my pleasure to introduce you to a special air rifle. We share the same tastes in mid range springers that are reasonably priced, easy to shoot, and have exceptional consist ant accuracy.

It seems many air gunners look to buy the Big Name Brand air riffles that are advertised to shoot 1000 fps or higher. I know I got sucked up in that when I first started my air gun adventure..:) Power, power, power was all I could think about..:) But after a year or two I begin to look at and buy some of the lower powered air rifles which turned out to be my nitch. I am talking about the 600 to 900 fps range and preferably in the 700 to 800 fps range. Low and behold I have found a gold mine in many models that folks over look because they are blinded by the Big Names, and Big Number like I was at first..:)

So about a year or so back I bought a CZ 634 Slava .177 from my good friend David Kirby. He had an HW 30 and R-7 at the time and did not shoot his CZ much but he knew it was an accurate springer. To make things even more favorable the cost of one was $139.00 plus shipping back then. David gave me a real deal on his..:) So I picked it up from David in Atlanta and brought her home to tune. Boy was I surprised when I was done. Trigger was just beautiful with about a 1 lb breaking point. Would shoot in the low to mid 700 fps range and would stack pellets one after another. I did a review back then on it and it seemed the Peak had an interest in it and ask me if she could buy it from me...:) Apparently Peak had read some reviews and she knew all about the CZ 634. She sweet talked me out of it eventually but not before I replaced it with another for myself..:)

So I ended up sending the Peak her CZ Slava 634 and proceeded to tune another one. Well this one turned out exactly the same as the original one I had bought from David. Just a pleasure to sit down and hit a consist ant 1/2" spot at 30  yards consistently.

The guy in Georgia still sells them and that is the only place in the US that sells them. He has now raised his price to $199.00 plus shipping but CZ Slava 634 is worth every penny spent.

THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline TCups

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 11:13:10 AM »
Yep, for the price of $200, even with extra cost of a TurboTune, the CZ-634 very easily holds its own with with the HW30 at $345 or the R7 at $380, factory stock.  And tuned, I suspect it will out-perform either.  And the trigger on this one is superb.  What magic!  I suspect that in my hands, this may be the most accurate springer I own.  A real pleasure to shoot off hand or from a rest.

PS:  someone asked about the wood finish, and I confess that I am not enough of an expert to comment on the finish on the stock except that I really like it.  Perhaps you could fill in with some more info, Gene.

Offline PeakChick

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 12:20:54 PM »
It took some doing for me to sweet talk Gene out of the CZ634 he sold me (whining, pleading begging....). I'm glad I got him to sell me mine. Gene tuned mine and it is, without doubt, one of the sweetest shooting, most accurate rifles own. I wouldn't trade my 634 for an R7. It's that good. The 634 is as easy cocking, as accuratge as an R7 and adds quite a bit more zip to boot. I'm with Gene on not getting hung up on how fast a rifle will push a pellet, that's just a recipe for frustration. All my air rifles push pellets from 500 - 900 fps. and that's all I need to get anything done with an air rifle that I want to do. I agree that the CZ 634 is a tremendous bargain for what you get for the money.
The current stable, (arsenal, quiver?): BSA Lightning XL .177, BSA Sportsman HV .22, BSA Ultra .177, CZ634 .177, Daystate Harrier X .177, TAU 200 Senior .177, HW 97 .177, HW 50s .177, HW 30 .177, RWS 92 .177, Gamo 126 MC Super, Gamo Big Cat .177, AR2078A, QB78 .177, Quest 1000 .177, Beeman SS650 .177., Beeman P17 .177.

Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

Offline DanoInTx

Re: CZ-634 / .177 A fine medium power springer-Revisited
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 01:15:19 PM »
Just stop already, you guys are killing me!!!!  I just sold my R7 and am already missing it, don't know what I was thinking:(  I am very short on airgun bucks this time of year, so to keep reading about this gun is just plain old disturbing!!!!  So please, for the love of God stop talking about how nice this thing shoots or I may haveto resort to extreme measures and sell one of my kids.
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline Iflyrc

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 02:06:46 PM »
Found one in auction for $199 + shipping at

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=119137441

Can't afford it myself right now just FYI
So many Pellets so few critters.

Crossman 1077, TF 99 .177, CFX .22 CDT tuned, Walther Talon Mag .177 Gene turbo tuned, Black shadow .22 GRT III, Disco .22

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 04:33:58 PM »
Ya Dave that is the only guy who has new ones in the US. That CZ is just to much money for poor ol Dano....:) Dano you are gonna have to start doing the shopping again buddy, and bag the change each time to finance one...:)
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline DanoInTx

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 04:38:50 PM »
Yea, unless $199+ shipping lands in my lap from outer space I doubt that is going to happen anytime soon.  Did I mention that I bought Christmas presents for all of my car mechanics kids this week?  Just under $1600 worth of repairs and I drove it home just to find out it was still broken, had it towed back to the shop and spent another $200 for the repairs they should have done in the first place.....Merry Christmas Dan's car mechanic's kids, glad I could give Dad plenty of Christmas money to buy you some nice new Wii's and Barbie dolls!
Dan

\"repeat this mantra:

Offline Jerrycup

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 05:32:30 AM »
Dan, I am truly sorry about the unexpected car expense. And you are the one who gave me the good advice about the BAM B-26, it has been great.

Tell you what, come on over and shoot the CZ-634. I just hit the buy now, maybe he will ship Friday and I will get it next week. I'm off till the 5th (may have to go in for a while Fri the 2nd).

I have a Bushnell Trophy 4-12 x 40 ready to mount when it gets here! Seriously, if the weather is decent let's get David Enoch over here and plink on the greenbelt...

Offline TCups

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 05:43:47 AM »
ArrrrrrggggghhhhhhHHH!!!

Jerry!  Change the "Ship To" address immediately if you possibly can!  Have it sent to Gene directly or else to me!  You ARE going to want to have him work his magic on the CZ-634, I promise you.  I will twist Gene's arm and get you a very good deal on the TruboTune.  Gene, you know, is a close personal friend of mine.

Merry Christmas!

Gene Curtis
201 Blair Mill Rd
Belton, S.C 29627
864-760-8506

TEC

Offline DanoInTx

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 06:26:23 PM »
Sounds like a good plan Jerry, let me see what the family has cooked up for me to do and I will try to make it.  I've been off since last Thursday and I will also be off till the 5th, nice 2 1/2 week vacation:)
Dan

\"repeat this mantra:

Offline Jerrycup

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 12:17:30 PM »
The dealer who has been selling these on Gunbroker is Hit & Run from Tucker, GA.

The owner told me that he will no longer have the CZ 634 - his wholesale price had gone to $180 and he doesn't think he can price them to make a good profit.

He shipped today, and told me I bought the last one he had...