Author Topic: More Cyclone shooting.  (Read 1078 times)

Offline daved

• http://
More Cyclone shooting.
« on: December 20, 2008, 04:56:57 AM »
Nothing earth shattering, just shot some groups last night with 12 different pellets, almost all I had on hand in .177.  I shot one mag, 8 shots, for each group, all at 10 yards with the rifle on low power.  One thing I can say for sure, this rifle is NOT pellet picky, at least in these shooting conditions.  Also, it definitely prefers heavy weight pellets, even on low power.  The one exception to that is the 16 gr. Eun Jin, they were my worst group at just over 1/2" edge to edge.  As these are really good in my S400, netting 27 fpe and sub 1/2" groups at 30 yards, I turned up the Cyclone to medium and high and tried again.  Didn't chrony them yet, but group size instantly shrank to the sub 1/4" size almost everything else was doing.  Best group was probably a tie between the Beeman FTS and the Baracuda Match (Kodiak Match), both were basically one holers.  The FTS's surprised me, I know lots of guys swear by them, but I've never had very good luck with them.  CPL's and CPH's (my standard pellet) were also very good, as were JSB Heavies, all producing groups of less than 1/4" edge to edge.  As much as it likes heavies, it doesn't like wadcutters.  I tried 3 different wadcutters, RSW Supermags, JSB Match S100's, and Gamo Match, all shot close to 1/2" edge to edge.

It's interesting to note that with one exception, every pellet I tried shot 1/2" to 5/8" low and slightly right.  The exception was the CPH, the pellet I have the rifle sighted in with, they were low but dead center.  I made no change in my scope settings, it's still zeroed at 45 yards with CPH's on high, scope at 10x.  It's also worth noting that these results are right in line with what Chairgun says I should be seeing.  Two questions from my previous post to answer.  John, the difference in gun noise level between high and low isn't significant, but the difference in pellet noise IS!  My pellet trap is home made, the back and bottom are both plates of 3/8" 6061 aluminum.  The difference in SMACK! between low and high with the EJ's will definitely make you sit up and take notice.  And Dan, the Baracuda/Kodiaks functioned flawlessly, as well as turning in one of my best groups.  Finally, I checked for mag induced POI shift and I'm happy to report that the Legend, at least at ten yards, shoots to the exact same POI regardless of mag setting.  Later.

Dave