Author Topic: Contest Suggestion...My idea for GTA contests.  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Viper

• http://
Contest Suggestion...My idea for GTA contests.
« on: February 06, 2009, 03:46:36 AM »
I have seen a number of "contests" pop up since the new Target gate opened. It seems like someone has an idea for a contest and then it sort of fizzles out or changes direction. I think there a few problems that make the initial idea die out. First, the idea comes up as a suggestion and then there is so much input as to different ways of conducting it, that it just dies on the vine or doesn't have a whole lot of participation. The initial thread becomes muddled and seems to tangent (if that's even a verb...).
I think if someone would like to initiate a contest, we should have some sort of "boilerplate" type posting. Be very specific. Standardize it:

Date
Airgun type. Springer, PCP etc
Caliber.
Scope, No scope, both
Target-If printable, just give the actual printed dimension so folks can calibrate their own printers.          Maybe we should have our own GTA targets!
Distance-Use both feet and meters
Trails-How many submissions, best shot-worst shot etc.
Rule book followed (NRA etc.)

(I'm not saying the above should be the final template, but you get the idea)

Since I have never entered, nor am familiar with competitive shooting, structure to success for me is key maybe others like me would be a great help as well.
I know this seems less than casual, but if we had a clear plan,  GTA contests might have a better success rate, have a greater number of participants, and just be a heck of a lot more fun.
Here's what I'd like to suggest.
A GTA member posts the contest in some sort of boilerplate contest post within the category to which it apples (Springer Rifle, Co2 psitol, etc.). Posts should been done within a week of when the score entries are due. Monday I think might work best...that allows for planning and the ability to shoot over a weekend toward the end of the contest. Then the submissions are sent to a given individual in the forum (this probably would be whoever made the post or maybe the moderator) of either a written score, photo of target, or both. They would not be posted to the thread until later (read on). The photos, by way of the contest “director”,  could be submitted to one designated folder at a  GTA designated photo site (Photo bucket might work). The final scores are posted the day or so after the contest is over with a link to the specific photo folder so folks can see some of the actual targets. After a 24hr discussion (24.36. whatever...) the thread could be locked and we move on.
The actual thread replies should only contain questions, answers etc until the very end when the scores are revealed. Like a good book the contest would have a beginning, a middle, and an end. What say you?
I think government is a necessary evil, like, say, motion-picture agents.
- John Wayne

Gamo Viper W/Leapers 3-9X40, GTR III, soundproofed stock. Need Turbo-Tune:(

Offline gamo2hammerli

Re: Contest Suggestion...My idea for GTA contests.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 05:05:30 AM »

The Springer and PCP air rifles are starting this week.....results should be send in (Post in appropriate challenge) by Sunday night. 10 meters off-hand, scope or un-scoped, 1 shot per target....with 15 targets per sheet (6mm, 11.5mm, 17.5mm and 24mm outer ring) X = 11pts, 6mm = 10 and 9, 8 and 7 for outer ring. Since I`m shooting a .22 in the PCP challenge, it has been suggested that I shoot 20 targets....no problem for me....I`ll use one sheet and five targets on a 2nd page. Then I`ll tally the score for the first 15 shots and add the last 5 shots for the 20 target set....that way the person who wants to organize the PCP match can decide which score to keep. Everything`s in the beginning stage.....so keep it simple and lets have some FUN!!!!! HOPE MORE GTA MEMBERS JOIN IN Finally the cold snap broke.....will have 2 days of -7C to +3C temperatures....so I`ll do some shooting at those targets before I`ll do the actual Challenge.........

WHOOPS.....ME BAD. I JUST READ RIFLEJUNKIE`S POST......SEEMS LIKE WE`LL BE USING THE GAMO4 TARGET SHEET so ignore what I wrote on top. FIVE shots per target.......total of 20 shots...with a max of 200 pts.

Now I`ll have to search the web to see if I can find the Gamo 5 target sheet....print it out and make some copies...

Gamo: Expotec .177 + Big Cat .177 + Viper .177 + Whisper .177, Hammerli Titan .177, Diana model 24 .177, RWS-Diana P5 Magnum pistol .177, Crosman: G1 Extreme .177 + Storm XT .177 + Sierra Pro .177 + 1377 pistol .177, Air Arms S410SL .22, BSA Scorpion T10 .22, FX Cyclone .177, Remington Air Master 77 .177 + BB\'s,

Offline Viper

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 05:35:49 AM »
gamo2hammerli - 2/6/2009  1:05 PM

The Springer and PCP air rifles are starting this week.....results should be send in (Post in appropriate challenge) by Sunday night. 10 meters off-hand, scope or un-scoped, 1 shot per target....with 15 targets per sheet (6mm, 11.5mm, 17.5mm and 24mm outer ring) X = 11pts, 6mm = 10 and 9, 8 and 7 for outer ring. Since I`m shooting a .22 in the PCP challenge, it has been suggested that I shoot 20 targets....no problem for me....I`ll use one sheet and five targets on a 2nd page. Then I`ll tally the score for the first 15 shots and add the last 5 shots for the 20 target set....that way the person who wants to organize the PCP match can decide which score to keep. Everything`s in the beginning stage.....so keep it simple and lets have some FUN!!!!! HOPE MORE GTA MEMBERS JOIN IN Finally the cold snap broke.....will have 2 days of -7C to +3C temperatures....so I`ll do some shooting at those targets before I`ll do the actual Challenge.........

WHOOPS.....ME BAD.  I JUST READ RIFLEJUNKIE`S POST......SEEMS LIKE WE`LL BE USING THE GAMO 4 TARGET SHEET so ignore what I wrote on top.  FIVE shots per target.......total of 20 shots...with a max of 200 pts.

Now I`ll have to search the web to see if I can find the Gamo 5 target sheet....print it out and make some copies...

I went to both areas, springer and PCP and I think your referring to the post in the Springer section that has about 30 posts in it. The reason it does, was likely that it wasn't clear from the start. As far as the PCP section, I didn't open every thread there but from the titles I couldn't tell what was a match and what was a regular thread. This is what I'm talking about. I'm not trying to be critical here, just trying to get some conduit that every one can use to participate.
I think government is a necessary evil, like, say, motion-picture agents.
- John Wayne

Gamo Viper W/Leapers 3-9X40, GTR III, soundproofed stock. Need Turbo-Tune:(

Offline gamo2hammerli

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 06:03:58 AM »
In Riflejunkie`s post "Match #1...Post your off-hand score here"  in the "Target Shooting General" .....apparently all rifles whether Springers, PCP`s, Pumpers, Single or Multi-Shots will be grouped here....scoped or non-scoped.
Gamo: Expotec .177 + Big Cat .177 + Viper .177 + Whisper .177, Hammerli Titan .177, Diana model 24 .177, RWS-Diana P5 Magnum pistol .177, Crosman: G1 Extreme .177 + Storm XT .177 + Sierra Pro .177 + 1377 pistol .177, Air Arms S410SL .22, BSA Scorpion T10 .22, FX Cyclone .177, Remington Air Master 77 .177 + BB\'s,