Author Topic: .177 cal Eun Jin Pellets and a Talon SS  (Read 4228 times)

Offline Black Mamba

• http://
.177 cal Eun Jin Pellets and a Talon SS
« on: February 06, 2009, 10:19:25 AM »

In a continuing effort to find the best pellets for my Talon SS I recently purchased some Eun Jins from Pyramid Air. They arrived unharmed for a change and I got to work.

First, let me say that these were used in a Stock Talon SS with an 18" barrel.

These pellets come 220 to a tin and are advertised as 16.1 grain. Upon opening the tin I noticed two things right away. First, they were coated in some sort of mystery oil. Second, there was allot of "lead shake" in there with the pellets but the pellets themselves were quite clean. I cleaned them off in a solution of Palmolive and warm water to get rid of the oil and shake and dried them off. I then counted how many were in the tin and found the number to be 230. Out of all 230 I only found 3 that were not usable. That is MUCH better than my average tin of Crosman pellets. One had too odd a head for it to fly right and two of them were dwarf/damaged. So in the end I was weighing out 227 pellets.

What I found was close to what I had expected. They don't weigh the advertised 16.1 grains. I had a range of weights from 15.3 to 15.7 grain. The VAST majority of them fell in the 15.4 to 15.6 with only 1 that weighed 15.7 and approx. 15 that weighed in at 15.3 The overall finish on the pellets was good and they seemed to be hardy lead devils.

Next I set up my chrono and attempted to sight them in at 30 yards but was more interested in the initial power level than accuracy. Accuracy is done after I've judged if they are powerful enough for hunting use. They are and then some!

I had my top hat at .060 and my power wheel at 8.1 with a 2900 psi in the tank to start. I fired 5 shots over the chrono with Crosman Heavies (10.4gr) and then switched to the Eun Jins. I must say that I thought the chrono was erring on the first couple shots but soon found it was not! My first ten shots averaged 874.7 for a whopping 26.2 ft/lbs. The second 10 dropped a bit and ended up at 845.5 ft/sec and 24.5 ft/lbs. Unfortunately for me, with the settings the way they are that 25 shots took 700 psi out of my tank and made my shots average out to 28 psi/shot. That is not good but I have lots of time to tinker.

Are they worth buying? I don't really know just yet. I have to do some more testing and see how accurate they are but I can say that they are a good 4 ft/lbs more powerful than Crosman Heavies in my Talon SS.

Lymph, v. To walk with a lisp.

Offline daved

RE: .177 cal Eun Jin Pellets and a Talon SS
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 03:15:18 PM »
That's about the same results I got with my S400E, Greg, 23 fpe with CPH's and 27 with the EJ's.  Very consistent, flat shot curve in that rifle, and very good accuracy out to 30 yards, that's as far as I tried them.  Of course, that was 16 gr., so if the ones I had weighed the same as yours, probably closer to your numbers.  I've heard lots of complaints about the EJ's, but they've always treated me well.

I have a suggestion for your Talon, try a heavier hammer with the PW turned down.  Might be able to turn the TH down too.  I bet you'll be able to keep the same or better velocity, while improving your shot count.  And no, you don't have to order a custom hammer from Tony.  Check you local hardware, big box, or NAPA for a 1" od x 3/4" id x 2" long bronze bushing.  That should be a drop in fit for a hammer replacement, and will weigh about 75 grams.  Your stock hammer should be somewhere around 50.  It'll probably cost less than $5, and I think you'll be surprised at the performance difference, especially when you drop the .22 barrel back in.  And if it's too heavy, you can always cut it down a little at a time.  Or you can wait, and I'll send the one I've got sitting here in front of me with your pellets :-).  Later.

Dave

Offline Black Mamba

Re: .177 cal Eun Jin Pellets and a Talon SS
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 03:36:28 PM »
Dave....you are the best thing since sliced bread.

I'll take your suggestions and run with em.

(and wait for your package to arrive.)

{insert evil smither's laugh}
Lymph, v. To walk with a lisp.