Author Topic: Ruger Air Hawk and Ruger 4x32 Scope and Mounts  (Read 5349 times)

Offline imadogman

• http://
Ruger Air Hawk and Ruger 4x32 Scope and Mounts
« on: February 14, 2009, 02:35:35 PM »

I shot several groups with my new Ruger Air Hawk today.

First,I shot4 or 5,1/2 to 3/4 inch groups with open sights on my indoor 8 yard range. Not too bad considering that one of the rear fiber optic filaments is missing, and I don't see like I used to. I used a 6 o'clock hold and hit the bullseye after a very slight sight adjustment to the left. Sights were set very close from the factory.

I decided to mount the Ruger 4x32 scope that came with the gun, just until my new scope and mount arrives. Therings that came with the gun, arekinda cheapo, and I felt the threads start to give way on the rear ring before I got the clamp tight, so I stopped and left it that way for now. The front ring clamped down okay, but I don't really like the way that they fit in the grooves in the receiver. I had tomove the POI upquite a few clicks, so there possibly is a bit of barrel droop, but I won't say that for sure until I get a good scope and mount, and I am able to shoot it at a longer distance.

Once I got it dialed in on my short range, I was able to shoot several 1/2 inch groups. The only problem is: The scope does not focus well below about 30 feet, and my target is at about 25 feet, so it was a little bit tough trying to stay in the middle of the bullseye. The scope is clear at 30 feet plus, and has a fine duplex reticle, and would probably be find for a lightweight hunting gun, as long as the shots are beyond 30 feet.

I am impressed with the accuracy so far. I can't wait to try it at 30 yards. I would bet that it will do well. I tried several types of hold on the gunstock, and I couldn't get the POI to move around at all. It just doesn't seem to care how I hold it.

Now, if it quits snowing here, and my new scope arrives, I will try to get out next weekend and shoot it with the new optics. I have only shot CPHP's in it so far, but if it shoots better after it gets broken in, I will be very happy with it.

Imadogman

\"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice\"

\"Sailing through life at the speed of Dark\"

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: Ruger Air Hawk and Ruger 4x32 Scope and Mounts
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 02:03:30 AM »
Dave, get yourself a one piece mount and a AG rated scope. Just throw away that scope and rings. They will never hold up and your poi will be going all over the place until you do.
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline imadogman

• http://
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 03:09:27 AM »
Thanks Gene,  I already have a one piece mount and a new Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32 on the way.
\"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice\"

\"Sailing through life at the speed of Dark\"

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 05:28:14 AM »
Then you are set and ready to rock n roll...:) I just changed my scope on the new tuned Ruger this morning. Went from an old BSA 3-12X40 AO to a New Bushy 4-12X40AO Trophy and it sighted in perfect. Had lots of up left. So I guess that old BSA did not have enough up or was just worn out. Glad I did not have to shim or bend the barrel..:) Shoots 1" groups at 30 yards. That's good enough for me...:) I have only got about 100 pellets through the Ruger but expect the groups to tighten up after I have got a ten or two through her. It shoots CP's very well and have had no flyers. RWS Superdomes and JSB's are all over the place..:) But that may change after everything gets broken in and the barrel gets good and seasoned..:)
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin