Author Topic: New Trigger Guard  (Read 7421 times)

New Trigger Guard
« on: January 12, 2007, 10:04:48 AM »

This is not technicaly an airgun, at least if you don't count the kind that work with hot air produced by a chemical reaction...

This is an old .22 made by i believe Mossberg.
The trigger guard was plastic, which shrunk, distorted, and finaly snapped.

It's quite old, 1940's a i believe, so parts are hard to find, and i wasn't impressed with the orginal anyway.

How would you clever folks go about fabricating a replacment?

I don't care about jt being in the exact style of the original, but there is that long inletting to fill up, so a simple metal loop isn't going to do the job on it's own.

RE: New Trigger Guard
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 12:41:08 PM »
A lot can be accomplished with a chunk of aluminum of the same thickness as the width of the trigger guard. Lay out the pattern on the aluminum, using your old one as a rough guide. Then you can cut out the general shape, leaving some "meat" for finish filing. You can either use a jeweller's saw blade in a coping saw frame, or just drill a series of holes, close together, following the outline, and then use a small chisel to break the webs.

Filing is often thought of as crude, but it is actually an art form. Take your time, and rough the shape out with a course file, then a finer cut file. Once it is basically finished, draw file with a very fine cut file, and you should be able to make it look as good as "store bought" - or better.

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 12:43:26 PM »
I think a nice piece of brass stock would look good inlaid in there. rolled down  to trigger blade . Shaped over trigger blade per your Idea, I've used steel pipes to roll metal around ,poor mans pipe bender he he , and continue to the front. Just a idea and brass has been pretty easy to work with, atleast for me. A blacksmith could really hook you up with something cool , a lost art for firearms.I'm sure fellow members have some great idea's, I'm just shootin from the hip. Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline jct842

• http://
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 03:27:30 PM »
If it were mine I would make templates out of thin hard cardboard, (card stock)  and trace to your brass or aluminum.  a drill press and drill bits can remove a lot of stock before the hand work too.   John

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 05:02:22 PM »
leonardj - 1/11/2007  8:41 PM

A lot can be accomplished with a chunk of aluminum of the same thickness as the width of the trigger guard.

leonardj...
the peice woudl have to be (uber-roughly) 7x3x0.5

I looked at half inch thick brass and aluminum on McMaster Carr...i could literaly buy a new rifle for that price.

Re: New Trigger Guard
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 05:41:34 PM »
Brass is what I would use because it's easy to work with.
If you had some .080 thick brass sheet just heat it to a dull red and quench it in water, this will aneal it so it's soft and easy to work.

When your done just do the heat process and let it cool by itself and it will be hard again. Also it will harden up a bit as you work it so if you are doing some extreme bending and shaping  you might have to aneal it again.

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 10:34:50 PM »
We's just giving some idea's. What you want to spend to acheive the desired look is yours in the end.I myself am guilty of spending alittle more to get the finished look I desire, atleast thats what my wife tells me he he.Were you thinking thin steel , what's your Idea's. Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline ribbonstone

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 01:01:31 AM »
Know those rifles...the original trigger guard was plastic; the older type of plastic that gets brittle with age and sun exposure (tends to break).

The inletted slot isnt the same depth for it's whole length.  Would probably shap small filler plates until the depth was uniform, then make a one piece guard to fill to level.

I'm a little better at steel working...not great, but am more comfortable using what I know.
Robert

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 12:29:10 PM »
Joben - 1/12/2007  10:02 PM

leonardj...
the peice woudl have to be (uber-roughly) 7x3x0.5

I looked at half inch thick brass and aluminum on McMaster Carr...i could literaly buy a new rifle for that price.

Do you have any metal fabrication shops in your local area? They will often give you a small piece like that if it is a leftover from a completed job, or an end-cut that they are just going to toss anyway. You would not believe some of the hunks of aluminum/brass/steel that can be gotten for free by doing a bit of asking around.

When I am stuck for a specific size piece of metal, I have a place about 20 miles from me called Metal Supermarket, that carries pretty much anything you could ask for, and the prices are quite reasonable.

If you decide to give it a go with a piece of aluminum, I'll have a look in my bits-n-pieces box and see if I have something that could be donated to your cause.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 12:45:29 PM »
Yeh i just noticed the uneven inletting depth... slightly evil, it's a difference of about .05
Unless any of you know a cheap source carving a guard out of brass or aliuminum looks to be way out of my buget. which is a pity, because it seems simplest in a way.
but at ummm $260 for a 0.5x12x12 block of brass...

Looks like bending thin bar stock will be the way to go...
how about something like this?
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=1360&step=4&showunits=inches

Offline ribbonstone

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 01:02:45 PM »
Are a lot of ways to make a trigger guard besides one big chunk of milled metal.  Am more comfortable with shaping steel flats, but brass does have some appeal. Think I'd still go with two layers...or build up the inletting so one layer lays slightly above stock level so it can be shaped to soemthing besides dead flat.

Looking at some double barrel shotgun trigger guards, seems like this one could well be made in several pieces and jointed (soldered).  Does make for a more graceful bow.
Robert

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 02:22:15 PM »
Brass stock is readily available at your building supply. Look in the door hardware section for a brass kickplate for a door. For thicker material look at the solid brass hinges.
A great new forum.
Thanks alabamaed36046

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 01:44:18 AM »
Welcome aboard Alabama

Thanks for your contribution and come back as often as you can..

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin