Author Topic: Benjamin Super-Streak, My take on it  (Read 6436 times)

Offline tjk

• http://
Benjamin Super-Streak, My take on it
« on: April 04, 2009, 02:43:10 AM »

To anyone that read my 'first impressions' post,...this will be my final thoughts on this rifle. These are my opinions only, and they do not represent the opinions of all on the GTA. There are many fans of this weapon, and if you disagree with my ops, that's ok. We all have our own opinions to go on.

I guess we'll start with the stock.Well designed, but poorly manufactured. The action slot was cut out in a sloppy manner, and the whole thing looks as if it were dipped in polyeurathane and dripped dry. The blueing on the action itself is decent, but nothing to write home about. The muzzle-breakis big, obtrusive, and just cheap looking. The rear sight is a flimsy plasticcomponentthatis a poor excuse of a sight. Like most otherQuest type rifle sights. Trigger guard,....you guessed it,...more plastic!!!

Now for actual performance.The only pellet I could find that wouldn't fire super-sonic was the heaviest I could procure,...the Beeman Silver-Arrows at 11.5 grains. After about 500 rounds of break in, I could drop the weightto the mid 8 grain Cro-Mags without going SS. But for accuracy, I had to stay with the SA's.This rifle dieselled alot, and still does on occation, but it has calmed down some after 1000 rounds or so. Last chroney with the SA's was around 970 fps at Bob's place a few weekes ago.I wouldn't recommend any pelletunder 10 grains for this shooter!!! The SS is a powerful rifle with a ton of torque in the spring,....too much for my personal taste,and I didn't really enjoy shooting it much at all. Of course a lube tune would smooth this rifle out,...my objective was to break it in and get the scope sighted.I did add some secret grease (not Di-electric though) and did a little sanding on the inside of the stock to smooth the cocking cycle some.

Sighting the SS useing the 'irons' was a complete waste of time. With such a harsh and violent firing cycle, the poor plastic rear sight couldn't handle this kind of power. Not to mention the front globe sight is kind of long and hard to sight through on anything but a sunny day. I removed the front appeture and painted it orangehoping this would help,....and it did some, but the rear sight just wouldn't/couldn't stay in place. So let us try the glass.

Scoping the SS was a challenge for this rifle. It came with a one piece mount and a Crosman/Center point 3-9X40 AO scope. Not too bad a scope really, but not the greatest scope ever built.To my surprise, the barrel droop wasn't very noticable at all, so shimming wasn't nessasary. There's a bright spot!!! Because of the torque of the spring being so powerful on recoil,....no amount of tightenning the mount would hold it on the action. The scope stop pin simply sheared off after a few rounds, which I excpected it would anyways. I even installed a Gamo scope stop with the yellow rubber shock absorber, but this still wouldn't hold the scope mount in place. After talking to the rifles owner,....all I got in response was "just do what you can", so I did what I could. I didn't see any need to over-tighten the mounting bolts, so I drilled out the holes in the mount and ran through-bolts in it with a flat washer, a split lock washer, and a nut. Then I torqued them dowm as much as I could. Problem solved!!!! I dremmeled the remaining bolt threads off flush with the nuts to give it a cleanner appearance. But the best part is that that glass ain't going No Where. With a few click of the rets we were in business. Swapped out the trigger with the GRT-III and things have continued to improve. But only to a certain extent with a factory condition rifle. From the picnic table at 25 yards, I can keep a half dollar sized group. With diligent practice and learning the SS's firing characteristics, I'm sure I could shrink this groups to quarter and possibly nichelsized groups. But that's as far as I would take it considering how rough this rifle fires. It's just too strong a gun to shoot with anything but heavy pellets,...and accuracy would be a major challenge to acheive with anything else. Average weightedpellets are not designned to travel at these speeds and with that you can throw accuracy out the window with this rifle.I'm not sure if I'd even want to shoot this rifle on a regular basisand invest the time in it if it were mine. It would probably sit in my cabinet collecting dust.

My final thoughts,.....for $300, you'd be well advised to invest in a better quality rifle. It's too much rifle for most folks, and not very enjoyable to shoot. If you've got a Benji SS, and you like it,...Great, Super! I hope you get all the enjoyment you can out of it! But for the newer air-gun enthusiast,....this isn't the weapon for you, nor would I recommend it to anyone but the seasonned shooter that knows what to exspect in a rifle of this type and power.

Like I stated earlier, these are only my opinions of the Super-Streak. I've tried togive this weapon (in it's stock condition)an objectionable and fairreview withoutbeing biased in any way that I know of. If I've angered any of the many fans of the SS, then knowthat this was not my intention at all. I'm sure withsome work these rifles can shoot much better!!!

Respectfully, tjk

397 Benji-98\' model    
Marksman  0035, My Fav!,CDT T\'d
Crosman Sierra-Pro,.177
Benji 392 08\'
CDT TT\'d RWS 34 .22,CP 4-16X40 AO
MM T\'d Marksman 0035
Crosman G1 Extreme
Daisy PowerLine 1000
TF-97 .22
B-28A MM T\'d
B-28 OEM Tuned by me
Beeman .22 RX-2 w/Theoben GR
Beeman .177 R1 Santa Rosa

Offline hodgjy

RE: Benjamin Super-Streak, My take on it
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 05:04:07 AM »
Great review.  You pretty much hit on all the points I've read all over the internet.  I was once interested in this rifle in .22, but after my research, I got the more modest Quest 800.  Good money saved.
Slavia CZ 634 .177, Crosman Quest 800 .22, and Baikal IZH 513 .22.

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
RE: Benjamin Super-Streak, My take on it
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 06:22:32 AM »
Great take on that Monster Thomas and from what I've heard about them their pretty rough out of the box. :0 I think Gene tuned one and mentioned that the action wasn't nothing to write home about ether. For that price I would buy a Gamo and send it off for a full tune and I think I would still come out ahead. :) Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline tjk

Re: Benjamin Super-Streak, My take on it
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:29:42 AM »
Thanks for the favorable responses Guys. I was afraid that I'd peeve some fellow members off with my 'less than stellar' review of this rifle. I was expecting some serious 'hate mail' as well. You know,...I keep thinking to myself "what could I possibly do with this rifle to make it better??". And I really can't nail it down. Sure a lube tune would improve it some,....but it just has so much torque in the firing cycle. I reckon you would have to be a large individual with a physique that could withstand/absorb shooting it with any consistancy. Me,...I'm a welter weight sized person. For the stock,....some serious sanding was do for the interior of the rifle I've been working with. From the linkage bearing roller rail, to the linkage slot cut out under the stock. The roller itself was machine pressed so tight it wouldn't even turn!!! And the linkage still rubs against one side of the stock. Even after meticulously tightenning the stock screws evenly and counting each turn/revolution I put on them. So far I haven't heard of any replacement springs or seals as of yet,...but who knows,....perhaps Master Maccarri with turn some out in the future,...if the longevity of this rifles' production continues and provides a feasable/profitable reason to delve into such 'after-market' production . With this in mind,....and working with OEM components,....I would hypothesize that grinding/polishing the spring ends as smooth as possible, and thrust-washers on both ends might smooth out the fireing cycle some, but the spring is so strong that maybe a thicker than normal seal would be needed to absorb the final 'slamming' at the end of the fireing cycle. Then you'd have another batch of troubles calculating the spring length, etc, etc.!!!! Oh Brother. If Crosman is to continue imoprting these 'gorilla gunz', then they'd  better go back to the chalk-board and rethink their whole approach to entering the 'super-mag' class of rifles. I think they got in over the heads on this one. For now,...I'm happy with my high 800's (with Cro's) Sierra-Pro Quest varient!!! And as many of you have seen on the huntig gate,....she'll "git her done"!!!!!!LOL's tjk
397 Benji-98\' model    
Crosman Sierra-Pro,.177
Benji 392 08\'
MM T\'d Marksman 0035
Crosman G1 Extreme
Daisy PowerLine 1000
TF-97 .22
B-28A MM T\'d
B-28 OEM Tuned by me

Offline bodiej

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 11:04:39 AM »
Looks like the same trigger as on my Titan, which is pretty sweet.  The titan's pretty harsh as well - hopiing it'll smooth out after my first  tune (when I get all the stuff).  I've been pretty frustrated with it so far - but I'm sure it's pretty dry inside.

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 11:49:20 AM »
I can't remember Thomas, does that shooter have a tophat in it?. A lighter tophat does wonder's in taking some shake rattle and roll out of those powerhouse shooter's. The tophat in my Gamo1250.22 was replaced with a custom one which is lighter and WOW! what a difference, much tamer and only lost about 8 FPS. Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 11:57:42 AM »
Well Thomas, you tip toed over to Bob's without letting me know...:) Just kidding. I have a few words to add to your review.

First off I have been asked to tune the SS many times. I even took one in assuming that Crosman would be carrying the parts. Nope, Crosman had not had any replacement parts in the last time I check in February. They said check back April 15th. The SS has passed the first year by a few months since released. I am going to check again with them this month. The problem being that the piston seal is a bastard size. JM has a spring that will work, but the seal is a big issue right now.

I the SS I have in my shop or I should say my house looks pretty nice overall on the metal and stock. Finish on stock is excellent and I do not see any problem with the action cut out. But yours may have been an earlier version or one that missed inspection..:(  

On a personal note I would never buy one of them for the following reasons. It is too long, I do not like thumb hole stocks, The overall firing cycle is to harsh. The internal parts are not bad. I have seen allot worse. Unless I can get parts from Crosman I will not be tuning any SS or taking them in for tunes.
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline dave2288

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 01:01:28 PM »
haha, that bastard seal.
Dave

g1 extreme(turbo tuned cdt trigger, choker muzzle break and fix hinge), powerline 1000s(lube tuned...soon to get a makeover), benjamin ss .22 tuned and shortened, patriot .25(british)

Offline Progun

• http://comcast
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 02:24:56 PM »
Hey Thomas, thanks for going the distance on this report on the Streak. I'm not surprised at your evaluation. I remember Paul Capello shaking his head in frustration over this model in his evaluation.Drove him to drink.I will say that I got very lucky to get Bob(CharlieDaTuna) to agree to attempt a tune on my Super Streak back before he retired. I was lucky because #1, Bob is a nice guy, and #2, he had not as yet examined one of these models and had not yet formed an opinion.He stated after working on mine that he wouldn't be tuning any more of these.He had his reasons. One thing he did do was install a GRT111 trigger and adjusted it so that there was a distinctly felt "click" at the end of the first stage. The next breath of pressure would trip the firing cycle and if the crosshair was on target at that moment, a hole would appear right where it was supposed to be.(If you follow thru.) It was awesome right up untill the spring broke on about shot# 3000. Gene wasn't tuning at that time and Bob had retired so I got Paul Dykstra aka Fixx to agree to a tune attempt. Paul found a spring somehow and de-tuned her just a bit so that the violent firing cycle was reduced. It's now a 17fpe tack driver. At least out to 25 yds.Anyone who gets one of these guns would do himself a favor and install a GRT111 trigger.The stock trigger was awful in comparison. I actually love my Streak even though it's long. Shot it just yesterday and it is real easy to shot one ragged hole groups as many times as you care to try.If we ever get another one of those Carolina get togethers,I'll bring this shooter and let you shoot it.Now I will say, all of my shooting with this rifle has been from a rest.The "longness" of this rifle doesn't lend itself to shoot any other way for me.

Offline tjk

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 02:57:35 PM »
Sounds Great Dave!! I can't wait for the next fun-shoo, and! I look forward to shooting your rifle. Sounds like de-tuning is the way to go with the SS. It is an accurate rifle,...like most Quest varients from my experience,..but a whole lotta gun to handle as well. Bob is a super nice fella, and he has taught me alot about these "BB-Gunz"!!!!! Glad Fixx was able to get her shooting again for you,....sucks having a broke gun, but in the end, things turned out for the good!!! tjk
397 Benji-98\' model    
Crosman Sierra-Pro,.177
Benji 392 08\'
MM T\'d Marksman 0035
Crosman G1 Extreme
Daisy PowerLine 1000
TF-97 .22
B-28A MM T\'d
B-28 OEM Tuned by me

Offline hodgjy

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 07:09:43 AM »
Na, you're not going to offend anyone.  Your review was very good and unbiased.  You tried to like the rifle, but ultimately couldn't.  That's the most useful type of review.  People need to know the pros/cons of every purchase.  If people didn't say anything bad about this rifle, I would have spent $300 on it and eventually hated it.  Instead, I spent $100 on the Quest 800, which isn't as pretty to look at, doesn't have the high velocity, but it shoots super accurately, more smoothly, and cost a ton less.

So, keep up the great reviews.  You're helping us make more informed purchases.
Slavia CZ 634 .177, Crosman Quest 800 .22, and Baikal IZH 513 .22.

Offline joeblow

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 09:28:41 AM »
hey gene the walther falcon hunter seal that  jm has works great just needs a little sizing. and crossman sells all the parts now.
benji superstreaks .22, both fully tuned and modded with seals and springs and custom internals. hammerli titan .177, fully tuned and custom shroud. and the addiction continues...

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 10:29:12 AM »
Hey Joe, that is good news. They told me to call them back the middle of April. I will probably call tomorrow now and make an order. Thanks for the tip.
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline dave2288

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 01:31:36 PM »
gene, so will you be workin on these bad boys now?
Dave

g1 extreme(turbo tuned cdt trigger, choker muzzle break and fix hinge), powerline 1000s(lube tuned...soon to get a makeover), benjamin ss .22 tuned and shortened, patriot .25(british)

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 02:01:08 PM »
Yes Dave. Tomorrow I will order up parts. I have one SS sitting here waiting to be tuned and will start excepting tunes for them until parts go south..:)

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin