Author Topic: AirForce hand pump: British threads, resolved locally  (Read 1324 times)

Offline neric

• http://
AirForce hand pump: British threads, resolved locally
« on: April 13, 2009, 04:31:01 AM »
I have a Talon SS which I am very happy with, and I simply wanted another PCP gun.  I chose a Max-tuned synthetic stock 850 Hammerli by Silo - the 850 Store.  I am TOTALLY happy with the rifle, accuracy, personalized prompt service and performance of his creation.   I am getting one-holers at 44 yards.  

Anyhow, I wanted to use the pump I already had so I looked online and called a couple of places and had a sneaking suspicion there was going to be glitches somewhere that I didn't want to deal with.

I decided to look locally for some shop to build me an interfacing hose.  I looked first in a SCUBA shop and they referred me to an industiral supply shop who makes high pressure hoses for hydraulics and air.  Didn't take long to get to the right place.

Turns out that AirForce uses an uncommon thread - I suppose an effort to be somewhat proprietary,, like Apple computers, a British thread.  The guy behind the counter immediately recognized the non-standard threads,   but as it turns out they had a coupler in stock that screwed into the pump and I acquired a Foster quick disconnect coupler to attach to rifle nipple.  This shop didn't have fittings that small.  Paintball gun suppliers have these.

The best thing is the price,,,$28 dollars for something that we were able to test immediately to see if it worked,,,and it did.   It was going to cost me around $70 online,,,,and I don't believe they knew about the uncommon threads - at least they didn't mention it to me.

This could have been a minor night-mare with my trying to force the threads on and screwing it up which would have led to buying more parts, more time, more shipping.

Local,,,,,it worked for me.

Oh, and the guys in the shop drooled over my gun big time,,,,they had never seen an "air" rifle,,,,they were enthusiastic,,,maybe a start of a gun club here.  That would be great
Hunters know they\'re gonna need a clean pair when they see you comin\'

\"Squirrel Skivvies\" is a copyrighted trademark of the Bird Feeder Raiding Corporation