Author Topic: Crosman Nitro SS .22 Great Rifle/ pictures  (Read 21317 times)

Offline doc1310

• http://
Crosman Nitro SS .22 Great Rifle/ pictures
« on: July 02, 2009, 09:41:40 AM »
07-02-09

UPS delivered my new Crosman Nitro .22 today in Digital Cammo from Pyramyd Air Gun Mall.
It came in the normal double box configuration, nothing was broken, everything looked fine, however, I wish the scope had been in a box. I got the 10 for 10 test and the chrony listed the following

using RWS Meisterk .22 14.0 gr. Pellets. I don't know if those are good numbers or not but I also bought a chrony and I'll post and compare numbers later. I was hoping for around 750 to 800 FPS.

I cleaned the dove tail and installed the scope mount which has a built in scope stop pin which fits very well into the scope stop hole built into the rifle, very well as a matter of fact. I do not think there is any free play what so ever, unlike Gamo rifles.

The included Centerpoint scope is great. I need to buy a few for my other rifles. I took my time installing it and instead of tightening down one side first and then the other, each screw got a quarter turn until all were tight. I began to think that if I tightened one scope mount all the way and then the other, it might cause one end of the scope to be higher....I'll need to check that on my Whisper.

The rubber covering is nice, but I can see where if you use it as a hunting rifle, the covering will become scratched and easily damaged. Mine came out of the box with one already. Hopefully Crosman has already thought about this.

SHOOTING!!!!

It cocks easy!! With scope it weights 8 pounds on my bathroom scale. It shoulders well and feels very balanced . I feel as though I should be able to shoot it off hand well. I'm using Crosman domed .22 pellets @ 14.3 grs. I bought a 650 round box to break in the rifle before I use my Straight Shooters sampler box. I also counted out 100 pellets so I could keep an accurate count of how many I've gone through.

Using a large cardboard sheet with a orange dot I sighted in the rifle. It took 30 pellets to get it close to where I wanted it. I think at 20 meters ( 21 yards ) it was pretty accurate. ( unlike my Whisper :( )
I think it's fairly quiet. The pellets hitting the trap are louder than the rifle report.

At shot 25 the rifle smoked a bit, again, nothing like my Whisper which is still smoking after a 1000 shots. I could smell a little burning lube and the pellets are still grouping well.

At shot 45 the rifle began to have a grinding sound when cocked, but the pellets are still grouping well. After a 100 shots the grinding sound is still there, but has lessened 50%. I called Crosman and talked with a nice young lady who assures me that the rifle is still settling in and to give it awhile. Its so nice to be able to get through to a real person when you think you have a problem with a product. Crosman does it right in this department and has made a fan out of me.

The trigger is nice. After a 120 shots it seems to have stiffen up a bit, maybe catching somewhere but since it's 103* in the shade down here, I'll assume that the lubes need to work in a bit.

As I shot this rifle my first thoughts were, “ This is how my Whisper should have been.” If my Whisper had shot this well to start with, I never would have bought this Crosman Nitro. This Nitro is a great rifle. At this moment, I'm very happy with it. So far it just shoots well and it is a lot of fun.

However, as the temp rose, my grouping was off and instead of chasing the pellets around with the scope, I called it an afternoon. I did noted that when first setting up the rifle and just shooting it to season the barrel the grouping was good, but as the time went by and I tried to score one bull after another, my grouping became worse.....so it's me and my shooting badly due to the heat and not the rifle.

We have one member here that is having a problem with his free Nitro in .177. These gas spring rifles are so powerful that a heavy pellet is called for in my own opinion. My Whisper gas spring seems to be getting better using a 10.5 gr. Pellet in .177. Its not as good as this rifle yet, but I have hope.

So far this a a very good rifle. It doesn't seem to be hold sensitive. I use a padded rest and rest the stock on the pad using the stock screws as a guide. I believe that this rifle would do well with a bi pod.
The reason I'm shooting like this is to take myself out of the shooting picture as much as possible to see just where the rounds are landing. Once I know for certain my scope is on target and my shots are not wandering due to dieseling and such, then I can practice off hand and other shooting positions.

Anyways, so far a very good rifle made in the USA. I think Crosman has a hit on their hands if they can keep up good quality control.

Thanks for listening,
Paul
Central Texas

\"The   most terrifying words in the English language are:  I\'m from the government  and I\'m here to help.\"
-  Ronald Reagan  

Daisy 120 .177
Crosman 220 .177
RWS 34 Meisterschutze Pro .177
Gamo Whisper .177 Venturi gas spring
Crosman Nitro Piston Short Stroke .22

Offline djtrackie

• GTA Donations
Re: Crosman Nitro SS .22 Great Rifle/ pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 09:52:55 AM »
Paul,

I'm glad you're enjoying that new Nitro,  I hope that the gun will break in and become better for you soon.

Anything is better than that Gamo Whisper with Gas RAM!!!!

have fun

Jack

Offline TexasShooter72

RE: Crosman Nitro SS .22 Great Rifle/ pictures
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 10:29:50 AM »
Dude!  Thanks.  Thanks for spinning my head on yet another air rifle!

Really though, good review and thanks for posting the pictures.  Seems like a real sweet shooter once it breaks in a bit.  I just put the scope back on that Lightning XL I've got and zeroing took a while but I've got POI down to half inch groups at 40 yards.  Gas rams are AWESOME aren't they?

Thanks again!  I'll be over tomorrow to help you shoot it!  What am I?  An hour from you?

Juss kidding.
David Slade Tuned, Theoben Gas Ram BSA Super Sport XL .177
David Slade Tuned, Theoben Gas Ram BSA Lightning XL .22
CDT Tuned Gamo Hunter Elite .177
Big Gene Tuned, Ed(Shadow)Chocolate Chip Camo Gamo Shadow 1000 .177

Offline doc1310

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 03:35:24 PM »
More like 4 hours Matt. I only have 21 yards to shoot but your welcomed to drop by any time I'm not working. Thanks for the nice words.
Paul
Central Texas

\"The   most terrifying words in the English language are:  I\'m from the government  and I\'m here to help.\"
-  Ronald Reagan  

Daisy 120 .177
Crosman 220 .177

Offline longislandhunter

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 03:49:33 PM »
Congrats on the new shooter.. Very nice review... I enjoyed it very much.... the only bad thing about your review is that you now have me wanting to order a Nitro for myself and I know if I do the wife will kill me......  

JEff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Offline doc1310

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 04:00:30 PM »
It seems as if I forgot a few things. The rubber covering does a great job. You get just a solid, but mild thunk when shooting, The rifle is solid, but yet not heavy, well balanced, and feels very good in my hands. The pistol grip is a huge plus which will be a must have in any other rifle purchase. I've tested several other pellet types from a sampler kit from Straight Shooters.com and other than lighter pellets rasing above the POI, this rifle seems to like them all. The grouping isn't all that tight with the light ones, but this rifle is 100% better than my Whisper Gas ram. There is one problem. After shooting this evening, I noted that the digital camo rubber coating rubbed off of one spot due to shooting off a rest. This can not be. I know this is a new product, and as a consumer I accept the fact that I am helping to make the future products better by giving input. I just hope that crosman will do the right thing and give me a new stock if it comes down to it. When you pay 300.00 plus for a new product, you shouldn't just have to eat it because you bought it. I'll be in contact with pyramyd and Crosman to see how this works out.
  But so far....This is a great rifle. It ranks up there with my RWS 34 Pro but is a lot more fun to shoot because its not so front heavy. This rifle is an all day shooter for now. I reserve the right to change my mind due to the horrible and ever changing way my Whisper shoots. Good one minute, bad the next. I did have to lower my scope settings this afternoon after the CNPSS shot well all morning. It might be the heat here, or the rifle breaking in, either way. I'll keep you posted, but all evening it shot well.
Paul
Central Texas

-  Ronald Reagan  

Daisy 120 .177
Crosman 220 .177

Offline djtrackie

• GTA Donations
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 04:52:45 PM »
How's the cocking action on the Nitro?  BB's blog mentioned that the nitrogen will make it easier to cock than other gas rams.  How was the cocking effort compared to the crappy Gamo Whisper w/ Gam ram?

Offline doc1310

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 05:18:06 PM »
This rifle surprised me that it was so easy to cock, a lot easier than my Whisper gas ram. It's an all day shooter to me.
Paul
Central Texas

-  Ronald Reagan  

Daisy 120 .177
Crosman 220 .177

Offline hodgjy

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 03:23:05 AM »
I have Crosman Premiers 10.5 gr and Beeman Crow Magnum 8.8 gr pellets arriving very soon (Kodiaks are sold out everywhere!!).  I will post back later once I try these heavier pellets out.

doc1310 - 7/2/2009  4:41 PM

We have one member here that is having a problem with his free Nitro in .177. These gas spring rifles are so powerful that a heavy pellet is called for in my own opinion. My Whisper gas spring seems to be getting better using a 10.5 gr. Pellet in .177. Its not as good as this rifle yet, but I have hope.

Slavia CZ 634 .177, Crosman Quest 800 .22, and Baikal IZH 513 .22.

Offline Kenny b

• GTA Donations
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 06:04:46 AM »
This gun looks awsome,great review;I hopes we get them over here in sunny Scotland!
Air Arms TX200 MKII;0.22,with 3-12x40 BSA \"Sweet 17\" A.O. Scope
Original (Diana) Mod.5 Pistol 0.22
Baikal 0.177 Target Pistol.
Webley Nemesis 0.177 Pistol.
HW35k 0.22

Juniper Green,Scotland`s first (and largest)      H.F.T. Club ;-

http://jgarc.org.uk/

Offline chuckster750800

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 01:41:13 PM »
Well the Brown truck stoped at my house today a brought a nice Nitro 22. in black. I love it when they walk up to the door with a long brown box.My first impression was what in the heck is Crosman doing with the packing? It looked like a cartoon box. I was expecting to find an Elmer Fudd bobble head doll in with the Nitro. I was not impressed at all, I still can't get that out of my head. Once I mounted the scope, (which is a pretty nice one) and got it sighted in the gun was smoking like a 6 litre Ford Power Stroke. The first 25 shots had some redeclous flyers which I know wasn't me, although I was on a nicotine and caffine high and shaking like a dog passing chicken bones. After I got use to the trigger and settled down a little it started grouping pretty well at 15 yards in my basement shooting range. This gun is well balanced (better that my RWS 34) and feels much lighter even though it does weigh 8 lbs. The cocking effort feels light and very smooth. The trigger has a long first stage and only the second stage is adjustable but feels good once ya get use to it. I didn't want to but it down, it felt that good. I'm going to burn up a couple tins of cheap Dasey wad cutters for the break in period. After about 100 rounds it's still deseling but grouping pretty well, at least to my abillities. So far this is one fun gun to shoot and I hope the crazy fliers don't come back. Sorry about my spelling.

Chuckster750800

Offline doc1310

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 08:24:28 PM »
Congrats Charlie, glad you join the family and glad that it shoots well for you. I agree it is a fun gun to shoot and feels good in your hands. Keep an eye on the stock and let us know if it begins to peel. Mine has started peeling where it rubs against the rest. I also get a grinding sound or a rubbing type of sound when cocking it, but it still shoots well.

Good luck with yours

Paul
Paul
Central Texas

-  Ronald Reagan  

Daisy 120 .177
Crosman 220 .177

Offline chuckster750800

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 12:13:25 AM »
I have noticed some peeling on the stock already. I thought maybe the gun oil that I wiped the gun down with after shooting caused it but after trying the oil on a small place on the stock nothing happened. The peeling on mine looks like a real thin layer of matt coating of something and after it peels off the stock in just a little shinney and slick. Mine is happening in several spots. I'm going to wate and see what happens further. This is one fun gun to shoot. I don't know if it's just that it's new or what, but I can't lay it down.

Chuckster750800

Offline tyguns

• GTA Donations
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 07:26:05 AM »
Just ordered mine the other day, can't wait to shoot it!!!  Airgun Depot has an amazing deal right now.....free shipping and 10% off if you are a new customer so I got mine for $299.00 !!!!  Pretty good deal !!

Offline doc1310

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 08:38:03 AM »
Real nice deal! I hope it shoots well for you. Mine does!

Regards
Paul
Central Texas

-  Ronald Reagan  

Daisy 120 .177
Crosman 220 .177