Author Topic: C1 type stock  (Read 1345 times)

Offline ribbonstone

• http://
C1 type stock
« on: July 24, 2009, 04:15:55 AM »
OK...part of me agrees...it is a $50 saddle on a $5 mule but i like it.

Time to talk to a potential stock maker is when he’s first starting up, when he’s open for ideas.  the idea of a C1 type stock had been on my mind for some time, so James and I emailed back and forth several times on the  idea and he consented to take a try at it.  Having owned several C1’s and a Vulcan at the same time, know that the only real difference between the two was the barrel length and the stock and it was the stock that really made  the difference.

If you’ve some ideas or want a $50 saddle for your $5 mule, eamil James at  bronz62@hotmail.com  Eventually he’ll get a web site up and running, but right noe he’s busy covering his shop floor with sawdust.

If you haven’t  shot one of the old C1’s, or haven’t shot an English stocked shotgun, then it’s hard to describe how the straight grip stock handles.  It’s NOT the best stock shape for bench shooting, but it might be the best shape stock for hunting, and what I had in mind was a rifle set up for pest birds.  Something that helps the fast, almost “snap”, shots needed to clear fruit trees of flitting birds that want to spear the figs or black cherries before you get to pick them.

Was a pretty long wait, but it was the prototype, the one he’ set up production to match in shape.

This is the completed stock as it came out of the box.

{Click pixs to enlarge}

James knows his stock wood, and how to lay out a stock so that the wood grain runs the right way for strength.  The two most broken parts are the toe of the stock and the wrist, and this one has the grain running right to keep that from happening (we don’t PLAN on dropping a rifle, but it happens...and UPS sometimes seems to specialize at it).  this one has the grain laid out right for a heavy caliber big game rifle that’s expected to take a few hard knocks along the way.

The important part, at least for us amateurs, is the inletting.  Either the rifle is going to fit or it’s not, but it should fit without any slop.  

This one slid right in, and without being bolted down, didn’t rock, wiggle, or slide back and forth.  Also tried a second QB and it fit in just as nicely.  So the inletting is level, fitting where it should but not “hogged out” to a sloppy fit. This is kind of important as i suspect most of his sales are going to be do-it-yourself stocks, and most hobbyist will be able to take care of the final outside finishing just fine.

So...picked this .177 QB to restock.  Tuned up by Mike (Flying Dragons) and  then de-tuned by myself (was running a bit faster than i really needed), barrel shortened, barrel attachment made and fitted,  and a little 4X scope added.

And this is how it came out.  Only thing that needed to be done was to unscrew the stock mounting stud in order to use the supplied Hex bolt (which is recessed below the stock for a cleaner look).

A couple of comparison views, but it’s not really fair as the issue QB stocks are very “basic”.

Have only taken a few shots from the bench to check the zero,  for much of the rest of the day, will be trying it out on off hand targets...and if one of those damed little fig eaters shows uyp, will be ready for them.

James is in Start-up mode, still open to suggestions, so if you’ve an idea you’ve been plaing with, it’s a good time to discuss things with him.  Know he’s been working on a RWS 850 wood stock,  a tradtional sproter type stock for the QB/Discovery, a roll over Anchultz type target stock for the QB/ Disco, and this C1 stock (which canbe inletted for the Discovery as well as the QB’s).
Robert