Author Topic: Crosman, RWS, Daisy, and GAMO pellets - .177  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Evo|ve_S|66

• http://
Crosman, RWS, Daisy, and GAMO pellets - .177
« on: August 01, 2009, 03:58:56 PM »
Alright, so I've owned quite a bit of air guns and picked up a few tin cans of random pellets just to get a feel of what rifle likes what. Though I haven't done many actual tests, I can safely say that I have tested these two rifles the most. Well enough to put this thread up. The Crosman Phantom 1000x and the GAMO Big Cat 1200. Yes that's right. The two rifles that constantly compete with each other in the market. Both have the same functions, come stock with a POS (piece of "crap") 4x32 scope, a synthetic stock, a horrible trigger, and feature a break barrel design. I have found that the Phantom only likes.....here I say it, it likes the Crosman pellets. Wow, what a surprise huh? The Crosman pellets I used were the Premier Hollow Points and the Destroyers. The Hollow Points were definitely a heck of alot better than the destroyers in terms of consistency and accuracy. I was getting about a little over a nickle's size worth of groupings with the Premiers, whereas 1-1 1/2 inch groupings with the Destroyers.
I still need to take pictures though! The Destroyers fit rather loosely in the barrel whereas the Hollow Points needed to be jolted in, which I liked dearly. However, I found that expansion for both weren't very noticeable. That being said, the Destroyer's simply deformed when hitting a moist target (to reenact animal flesh), whereas the Hollow Points retained their shape and expanding ever so slightly.
Upon testing with some Daisy Flat tops and GAMO Raptor pellets I have found that the Daisy pellets were only good for target practicing and zero'ing your scope (if you're lucky enough...). Getting pretty inconsistent shots that were quarter sized to like 5 inches to the right, back to quarter and then 2 inches down. They fit very loosely in the barrel, and deform with slight a slight amount of pressure and not to mention that they are dirtier than Crosman's pellet(s). Oh well. Anyway, the Raptors. I have been both blown away and disappointed at the same time. They are fast, and are great for the environment. But they are very inconsistent both pellet wise and accuracy wise. Getting about 1-2 inch groupings. I guess because they're so dang light! Anyway, I was doing these shot testing(s) at about 30+ yards. Considering my backyard isn't that big that's all the room I had, go figure!

Okay, now with the Phantom out of the way time to bring in the GAMO Big Cat! Alright, so I didn't test the Phantom using the RWS Super Points huh. Well I will for the Big Cat. However I will for the Phantom soon enough! Anyway, comparing both rifles I have found that they perform almost the same with minor variations from pellet to pellet, etc....the Big Cat liked those Hollow Points (getting pretty good nickle sized groups), but preferred the RWS super points instead. The accuracy was amazing, and on top of that each RWS pellet was identical to another with no imperfections what so ever!I was able to get consistent dime size groupings with little variations testing 3 times afterwards totaling at 15 shots (3 groups). Astounding! I don't want to even use these because their like a tin of gold, ha imagine that. The Big Cat however did not like the Destroyers, the Flat tops or the Raptors. Very inconsistent from what I have come to test. All performed almost identical in terms of groups getting quarter sized to about an inch and a half......But hey, as long as the rifle shoots the dang pellet it's good in my book right? Whatever. So that about wraps it up. This review is almost pointless without pictures, but I will post some up maybe soon. If you have any questions on the pellets or the rifles I've used, please feel free to post! Thanks for reading.

-Jarred
\"One\'s Will To Win Is Greater Than One\'s Strength\"

Offline USNCop

RE: Crosman, RWS, Daisy, and GAMO pellets - .177
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 04:31:29 PM »
Jarred,
I wouldn't expect great accuracy from any Match flats beyond about 33-35 yds in pretty much any springer.  A possible exception which I've experienced myself would be perhaps an English made springer, but only because they have very high quality barrels.
A point that I wondered to myself as I read your post was, how do you hold your rifles when you shoot them?
Are the stock screws tight?  Do you think you might be jerking the trigger?
I can believe the Destroyers would shoot poorly if they fit too loose.  The Premier domes or HP's seem to be pretty popular here on the GTA.  I haven't used them yet myself.
Make yourself notes as to which pellets fit good and those that don't.  Slowly insert them in the barrel and note the fit of the head as well as the skirt.  Test each pellet and note the accuracy.  Consistency is key with springers.

I humbly suggest you use the search feature here and read my posts regarding spring size.  Those Raptors are WAY too light for all but the smallest wire diameter of main springs!  You will cause spring failure with pellets that light.
Do you know the spring wire diameter for your rifles?  This can help determine what weight range you should use.
Too light will cause piston slam and or fry your seal.
Too heavy a pellet will fatigue your spring.  This is most critical in .177.  Not as quite much for .22.
Stick to more of a light/medium weight to heavy/medium, approx. 7.4 to 9 grains.

Do some more shooting and get back to us.
QB57 .177, BAM B26 .177, BAM B26 .22

Offline USNCop

Hey Jarred
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 04:50:08 PM »
I just did a little poking around and it looks like your Phantom should have a main spring wire diameter of approx. .120" so that means you'll want to stick to approx. 7.3 to 9 grs for your pellets.  This weight range will give the best performance with longevity.
If I were in your shoes, I would send them them to Gene or Mike Melick for a tune.  They'll shoot smoother, more consistently and have better quality springs than stock.
I have a MM tuned B26 in .177 and it's a great shooter.  My .22 B26 is cuurently stock and shoots great but I'm going to have it tuned next year for the longevity.
QB57 .177, BAM B26 .177, BAM B26 .22

Offline Evo|ve_S|66

Re: Crosman, RWS, Daisy, and GAMO pellets - .177
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 03:06:58 AM »
Hey thanks for the reply!

Well from what I have concluded, my Big Cat and Phantom was somewhat "hold-sensitive". So I tend to experiment with different grips n' whatnot. I probably somewhat loosely grip the trigger area with my right arm, having the first section of my index on the actual trigger, while my left arm holds the upper stock like a "U" all in all having my cheek loosely on the cheek rest. The more you try to resist the recoil the more likely it is that your accuracy will open up....whereas letting the recoil do it's thing, and you simply guide the shot loosely. Oh yeah, that reminds me....as soon as I have another shooter in .177 cal I will do some comparing n' whatnot. For now I just have a .177 and a .22 rifle....but I will re-edit this thread again when I have the time! =] The Hollowpoints work well for me, however I haven't gotten the chance to grab any domes because they're aren't any around here! Haha

Yeah, maybe the raptors will perform better in lower FPS shooters. Actually I have no idea of the diameter, is there a way to check? Also that bit of info on the Phantom will help! I was trying to stay in the middle or "light & "heavy" pellets just to be safe :) I might consider having the guys tune up one...or two of my rifles, but until that time comes....let's see how these shooters can shoot after they break in some more!

Thanks for the info bud,

-Jarred
\"One\'s Will To Win Is Greater Than One\'s Strength\"