Author Topic: Ruger Blackhawk .177  (Read 7960 times)

Offline longislandhunter

• http://
Ruger Blackhawk .177
« on: August 14, 2009, 10:47:52 AM »
Well, earlier this afternoon I received the Ruger Blackhawk .177 that I ordered from Sportsmansguide.com. The Blackhawk is the chinese clone of the RWS 34 Panther.  The rifle came well package, double boxed, and survived the shipping nicely. I unpacked the rifle and gave it a thorough "once over".  The bluing was very nice.  It was a beautiful dark, even color and there was no hint of any surface rust, discoloration or marks of any kind. I have to say that the bluing is as nice as that on my more expensive guns.   The synthetic stock was also very nice and very comfortable.  The checkering was nicely  cut into the stock and had a nice feel to it  and the stock was free from any scratches or marks on it.  The dove tail grooves were nicely cut and centered perfectly in the receiver.   The barrel didn't have any sign of droop and the barrel lock up was nice and tight and firm and there was no evidence of any side to side movement either.  The fiber optic sights were very easy to use, gave a nice sight picture and they adjusted very smoothly.  After wiping down the rifle to remove any extra oil  and doing a thorough barrel cleaning  I  tightened down all the stock screws and headed for the backyard range to test out the rifle and do some chrony testing. The rifle comes with an RWS 4x32 non AO scope and a cheapo set of rings but I decided to just test out the rifle using the open sights.  I have to say though that I did take the scope outside and it did have nice crisp, clear optics, however how the scope will perform still remains to be seen but I plan on putting a 3x9x32 AO on the rifle anyway using Accushot mounts so it may be awhile before I get to actually test out the scope.   Ok, on to the testing.

I started out using CPH's for no other reason than the fact that I have a ton of em,  thanks to my buddy Bob (aka: dnttech), and also for the fact that  CPH's fly well in many of my rifles.  I set up a paper target on my backstop, loaded a CPH, backed up 10 yards, aimed and fired.  The pellet struck directly underneath the bullseye about 2 inches low.  I took 4 more shots and watched as all of the shots went right into the same hole made by the first pellet.  Well, the rifle seemed to be grouping nicely :)    I adjusted the rear sight and fired again.....  dead center bullseye.  I moved back to 25 yards and after firing a few more pellets and making some minor adjustments I was shooting ragged hole groups dead center while I sat in a lawn chair and rested the rifle on a second lawn chair.  This is a real feat for me,  as due to my eyesight I normally don't shoot open sights well, especially at 25 yards, but these sights are bright enough that I'm  able to shoot well with them.  I shot so well with these open sights that I'm almost tempted to just leave the gun the way it is and keep it set up with the open sights but I know I'll wind up putting a scope on it. At this point I should add that all during my sight in shooting the rifle cocked very smoothly with no evidence of any binding or grinding of any kind.  Time after time it cocked nice and smooth and locked up nice and tight with an audible "click".  The safety works well and is located in a very convenient location.  As for the trigger...... it's a dream !  Just as nice as the trigger on my .22 RWS Panther,, actually I'd have to say it might even be just a wee bit crisper than my .22 Panther.  It just takes a little pressure and the trigger breaks nice and clean.  As for the firing behavior.......   again,  I have to say I am really impressed.  There is absolutely no twang whatsoever, just a solid "thunk" when it fires.  There is also no feeling of twisting or torquing when shooting the rifle, it really shoots  nice !!    The very first shot dieseled but after that it settled down and after the 5th or 6th shot the little bit of smoking that was evident totally disappeared.   One of the reasons I wanted this rifle is that I love my .22 RWS Panther so much that I've always wanted to get one in .177 caliber, but I really didn't want to shell out all that money since I have so many other .177 rifles.  Then I saw the Blackhawk and for the $79 bucks that it cost me I figured  since it's a Panther clone  "what the heck, I'll give it a try".  That being said I have to say that this Blackhawk performs as nicely as my Panther and it looks just as nice too.     Ok,  I was all sighted in, now to do some chrony testing.  

I proceeded to fire off 20 shots through the chrony with the CPH's and I was delighted with the numbers.  The Average FPS was    955

The rifle was shooting so accurately and nicely with the CPH's I decided to switch over to Predator pellets and see how accurate they would be and what their chrony numbers would be.

I fired 10 predator pellets thru the chrony and was delighted to find that the POI was exactly the same as the CPH's and the chrony results were just as good with a 934 FPS average.

I'm adding a pic to this post showing the Chrony Data Sheet that I filled out for each shot.    

My conclusion:          I don't know if I just got lucky and "got a good one" or what, but I am really impressed with this Blackhawk.  Smooth cocking, solid lock up, great bluing job, beautiful synthetic stock, great open sights, no twang at all, no torquing, a super trigger, superb accuracy and excellent chrony numbers. Like I said, I don't know if I just got lucky and got a good one but I am really impressed with this Blackhawk.  This rifle is going to take more than a few trips to the squirrel woods with me during the upcoming small game season  :)   Sportsmansguide is selling the rifle for $99 bucks..... $89 bucks if you're a club member and if you are a club member you can use one of the $10 off coupons to get the rifle for $79 bucks which is what I did.  

Ok, that's it, that's my  initial review.  I will continue to put the Blackhawk through it's paces and monitor her performance but I am thrilled with my $79 clone  :)  

Jeff

\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Offline Timmyj1959@yahoo.com

• http://dragonslayer
RE: Ruger Blackhawk .177
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 01:41:06 PM »
Good for you Jeff!!:D Gene & I love ours too.8) Sounds like you got a good one for sure Buddy!! Mine started out like yours too,,, I just cant seem to leave well enough alone!!:p You may want to try Crow Mags in yours,, mine is one of a very few 177 guns I have owned that just LOVES them.:) I know your a "Predator Kinda Guy",,, but man if Ya find a gun that likes Crow Mags they are DEVISTATING!!!!:D Glad to hear yours is cocking smooth,,, that piston sleeve can be a real "Scruncher".:0 Must say,,, a GREAT gun for the $$ for sure,, Im sure we will be seeing yours on the Hunting Gate soon!!8) Timbo.

Offline longislandhunter

RE: Ruger Blackhawk .177
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 01:53:24 PM »
Thanks Timmy  :)

I will certainly try the crow mags.... I agree with you,, I have a couple of other .177 rifles that shoot them well and they can be very effective.    

Tomorrow I'm gonna get her scoped.  Then I'll let the loc-tite cure for 24 hours,,, after that she's going for a ride to the duck farm so she can harvest some critters  :)

I can't wait to proudly post pics of her first harvest  :)

She is one sweet shooter and a born hunter  :)

Jeff

Offline geewhiz380

Re: Ruger Blackhawk .177
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 02:50:02 PM »
its good to have a rifle that is just as good as a rifle that u would spend alot of money on like what u did cause im not a expensive buyer .that was a great catch and it seems u r more than satisfy i wonder what fps the .22 would give me .im buying my stuff little buy little but ill get there shark.25 ,2.discovery.22 next marauder.but the hawk.22 does sound very inviting.

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 02:56:04 PM »
Congratulations Jeff on a very nice Chinese made springer..:) After all the cloned it after our beloved RWS springers...:) As Timmy said we do like ours. Really surprised me to see that they consistantly shoot over 900 fps with such good accuracy out to 40 yards, scoped.. Timmy and I replaced our stock spring with the JM GRT springs that are replacement springs for the RWS 34 series springers. It is taking mine a bit of time to settle down but she is gettig there. No problems but just a bit more recoil than I like...:) Got spoiled on the HW's and Air Arms...:)

Have fun and will be looking forward to seeing you and your new baby on the hunting gate.
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline longislandhunter

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 03:08:27 PM »
Thanks Gene, thanks Jorge,,  I'm really happy with this rifle, can't believe how nice she shoots for such a pidley sum  :)

Can't wait to hunt with her  :)

Jeff