Author Topic: Can't remember who...  (Read 1455 times)

Offline ribbonstone

• http://
Can't remember who...
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:44:16 PM »
..but I owe someone some real-world bulk fill numbers.

Pretty much a standard QB78. Did shorten the barrel greatly (down to 16”), smooth the rough areas inside, and put in a poly-port. This rifle is NOT tuned fast.  I worked pretty hard getting it to run well at the low speeds i wanted for back yard bird killing (with a 25-40 yard max. backyard range).

On 12gr., would get 552fps/14.5gr. pellets.  Getting 45  good shots per fill before measured vel. drop off.  

Without creating a big temperature difference between the bulk fill tank and the rifle, will take in 1.1oz. of co2.  Did leave the bulk tank in the shop for 1/2 an hour (at 83 degrees) and the rifle inside the house (at 75 degrees) so there was a little temp difference.

Got 45 shots again before measuring a vel. drop off.  Was still  1/10th ounce (about 3gr.) of co2 in the tube, but it was all gas...no liquid...so vel.  would drop with each shot (about 8 more every slower shots).  

Vel. went up about  28fps with bull fill to 578fps.

SO...yes, bulk fill does give a bit more speed, even with a  standard valve.  Suspect that when using 12gr., the piercing pin uses the 12gr. cartridge as a ‘stop”...valve can’t open any farther than contact by the piercing stem).  Even with the same valve, if there is no  â€œstop” the valve tends to open farther and the gas to flow a little smoother.

Nothing is for free, and that little extra speed costs a little extra gas on each shot.

(With 12gr., would use about 22 -23 of co2 before vel. drop off to get 45 shots.  With bulk fill, would use about 25-26 gr. for the same number of good shots.)
Robert