Author Topic: Cutting a barrel  (Read 3787 times)

Cutting a barrel
« on: March 02, 2007, 01:10:34 PM »
I want to shorten a Crosman 2250 barrel by a couple of inches and was wondering if there is a way to do it with regular hand tools?  I've already thought about using a hacksaw and miter box but thought that it would still not cut the end as square as needed.  Any tricks or ideas would be most appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
Re: Cutting a barrel
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 02:06:35 PM »
The last one I did was with a hacksaw, then I squared it up on my belt sander and recrowned it with a brass screw.  Those Crosman barrels are so small and thin walled you can cut through one in less than a minute with a halfway sharp blade.

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 02:48:18 PM »
Thanks Dan, you've given me some hope after all  Ha Ha Ha  That is definitely within the realm of my abilities and tool inventory.

Offline Big_Bill

• http://
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 03:48:25 PM »
Hay Mark,

I cut down a Mosssberg, model 114LSB Bull Barrel with a Jeweler Frame Saw, cuts pritty fast and clean, then crowned the barrel with those grit impregnated rubber wheels. It never shot better !

The Best,

Bill
Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 02:42:52 AM »
Thanks Bill.  If I can't get it right with the hacksaw, I'll get a jewelers frame saw and give it a whack.  Luckily the barrel is a lot longer than what I need, so I can make a few practice cuts first.

Offline ribbonstone

• http://
RE: Cutting a barrel
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 01:27:31 PM »
You can do it...will need to file it as flat as possible after cutting and crown it, but you can do a good job with care.

I tend to plug the bore with a tight fitted wooden dowel and cut right through both the barrel and dowel (which does keep metal filings from dribbling down the bore).  Will wrap the barrel with masking tape, scribe an even line all the way around (here a tubing cutter is nice...not to cut, but to mark that straight even line).  Cut carefully, along that line.

Makes for a lot less file work to get it dead even if you take care to cut it as evenly /smoothly as possible.
Robert

RE: Cutting a barrel
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 01:00:55 AM »
I really like that idea of using a tubing cutter to scribe a straight line, thanks ribbonstone!

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 02:45:14 PM »
Man, just go for it, it will be over in a few minutes, then just square it up with a sander/grinder/file or whatever you have.....if you totally mess it up a brand new 24" Crosman barrel is about $10 the last time I checked, but other than cutting it lengthwise I really don't see how you can cut it "wrong".  

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008