Author Topic: 10 meter pistol article  (Read 5620 times)

Offline kirby999

• http://
10 meter pistol article
« on: October 03, 2009, 01:21:17 PM »
For anyone interested , I found an  article over at PA on 10 meter pistol shooting I found interesting . kirby The 6 o'clock hold
Speaking of 6 o'clock holds, Matt61 was describing how he did his, which prompted me to start this series on 10-meter pistol shooting now. Matt was using a center hold, which doesn't work at all for 10-meter. So, I'll now show a true 6 o'clock hold.

6 o'clock hold

Now I know that thin sliver of light under the bull is going to unnerve many of you. I can see the comments now - "How thin should it be?" The answer is as thin as you can make it. This is a topic of great discussion among ten-meter shooters the world over.

Some say they don't leave any light at all, but the majority leave a thin sliver so they can define the bottom of the bull above the front sight.

Please remember what a 10-meter target looks like and where the scoring rings are.

This is an official 10-meter target. Six o'clock means the extreme lower point of the 7-ring, which would be 6 o'clock if the black bullseye were a clock face.

Adjusting the sights
The sights are adjusted so the pellet ends up in the center of the 10-ring, and this is done while shooting offhand. No 10-meter competitor would dream of shooting his gun from a vice to sight in, because he knows the gun will shoot to a different point when handheld. Which begs the question, "How can you possibly sight-in a 10-meter pistol when you can't even hit the center of the bullseye most of the time?" Think of it this way: Shooting 10-meter pistol is a lot like riding a unicycle. It requires a skill that most people don't have. You just start trying and eventually you get better. Finally, you remain upright on the cycle all the time.

In 10-meter shooting, you start out with a sight setting that gets you the highest number of points. As you progress, you start noticing that although you're shooting all over the 7-ring, your pellets are landing in the lower right quadrant of the ring more often than anywhere else. You make a sight adjustment to move the pellet slightly up and to the left. To your surprise, your 10-shot average score climbs from 74 to 81. The sight correction actually helped!

The importance of follow-through
This goes on until the day you notice that if you hold your sights on the target a moment after the shot breaks you can see where the sights were when the gun fired. To your surprise, you're now able to "call your shots," which means when you say a shot is high and to the left, that's where it goes. All of a sudden, you start trying to follow through intentionally, and your average increases by three more points.

The front sight is everything
Then, a day comes when you notice the front sight has more to do with where the shot goes than anything else. Now, you start concentrating on the front sight to the point that the rear notch and the bull become blurry. The fact that you are 60 years old and wear reading glasses suddenly doesn't matter anymore. You've discovered the SECRET! Your average score increases by another point. You're now shooting an 85 for ten shots.

The next big thing to happen is that the trigger begins to break without your conscious effort. You're lined up on the shot and the gun suddenly fires before you thought you were ready. It increases your score by seven points. You now shoot a 92 average, which means a score of 552/600 in a men's match or a 368/400 in a women's match. At this point, you're an NRA Expert shooter and any advance from here will require a change in your thinking. Target shooting is a head game, the same as any championship competition. That's why the books about expert marksmanship all sound like a lesson in Zen. You need to concentrate on the target to the exclusion of everything else. Please watch the movie The Greatest Game Ever Played or the movie For Love of the Game to understand what I'm talking about.

Wax on - wax off
For many of you, this report reads like new-age gibberish - except for the part about the 6 o'clock hold. In fact, this report actually is a condensed course in how to become a 10-meter champion. But you're not ready for that, yet, so I'm giving you an assignment to watch what I consider to be the finest instructional video of all time on becoming a champion. Please watch The Karate Kid. When I say, "Wax on - wax off" from now on, I expect you to understand what I'm talking about.

Matt61, you asked me about my friend who became obsessed with 10-meter shooting. He read everything I wrote, and watched all the films I recommended, and, within 18-months, he was out-shooting me. My top average score with the NRA was a 535. That equates to an 89.16-point 10-shot average. My best individual score in a match was a 545. When I shot it, I was on the cusp of breaking through the 90-point barrier and moving from Sharpshooter to Expert in 10-meter competition. Then we moved and I lost my chance to shoot every day, so today, five years later, I'm lucky to shoot a 475. But I have been there and I know what it takes to get you there.

Rules of 10-meter pistol matches
A 10-meter pistol match is shot at 10 meters from the muzzle of the pistol. Because each shooter has a different arm length, it is physically impossible for them all to be exactly at 10 meters, so the firing line is set up so that no shooter's muzzle will be closer than 10 meters. There will be differences of several inches among all the muzzles on line. Shooters don't worry about that. They simply confirm their zero before the match and go with it. A few inches doesn't make a difference with these guns.
\" Shooting PCP\'s; I sometimes miss that  unmistakable smell of a springer . \"

Offline TCups

RE: 10 meter pistol article
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 01:57:55 PM »
Good article.  Explains why the white bull of a Gamo target is no good for pistol shooting.  Also,  if you zero your target pistol for an official 10-meter pistol target, switching to a  different target, or a different shooting distance is always a pain.  The only thing I disagree with the the 60-year old eye thing.  Don't care what anyone else says, if your rear notch is fuzzed out, then that whole bit about "how thin" is meaningless and follow through (at least for me) is much harder.  Knobloch's  (a diopter peep site) over the eyeglass lens of your dominant eye will give a pin-point focus with an infinite depth of field -- the rear notch, front blade, and bull are in sharp focus, irrespective of your eyesight.  If the target is properly lit, Knobloch's are a wonderful thing.  I don't know if they are legal in 10-meter competition, though.

Offline JQR

Re: 10 meter pistol article
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 04:25:51 AM »
I had forgotten what to call the "6 oclock hold", but that's what I switched to last week on the 1377. I definitely made a difference. Got me into the 80's (just into the 80's) in the 10m match.

Offline gamo2hammerli

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 06:32:07 AM »
Yep, 6 o`clock hold and follow through.  If I hold dead center I tend to drop the pistol/handgun to peek over the sights (Bad habit)....and the shot most definitely goes down.  Same thing with follow through....if I don`t hold at the same position right after I squeeze the trigger.....shot will go down too because I`m trying to see where I hit (With a scoped rifle too).
Gamo: Expotec .177 + Big Cat .177 + Viper .177 + Whisper .177, Hammerli Titan .177, Diana model 24 .177, RWS-Diana P5 Magnum pistol .177, Crosman: G1 Extreme .177 + Storm XT .177 + Sierra Pro .177 + 1377 pistol .177, Air Arms S410SL .22, BSA Scorpion T10 .22, FX Cyclone .177, Remington Air Master 77 .177 + BB\'s,

Offline Brutuz

• http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 09:43:43 AM »

Good article, thanks for sharing.

Another important issue is the stance.

Stand before target, close your eyes, raise your arm, open your eyes and check if you're on target.

If not, do NOT move your body and/or arm but correct your position using your feet.

Crosman 1300 1377 1377c 2100 2289G 2240 2300KT 2400KT
Haenel III 284 & Shanghai B1
.22 SMK XS78 & XS19 & B40 (BMK) & Lider45TG
My airgunvids on Youtube

Offline Magnum

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 02:44:41 PM »
Excellent information:) much appreciated. Tony

Offline ac12basis

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 05:29:30 PM »
There is another hold called a SUB-6 hold.  It answers the questions of how small is a "slight band of light?"
Instead of a "slight band of light" you put a LOT of white between the bottom of the bull and the top of the front sight.  Think of the front sight as a target, put an equal amount of white on both sides and on top of the front sight.  In this way, you are not fiddling with that "sliver of light" trying to get the sight in just the right place.
The pix at the bottom is what a sub-6 hold looks like.

I used to use a 6-oclock hold, I now use a sub-6 hold and like it better.  It took a LONG time to get my eye used to the different sight picture.  If I did not pay attention, I would drift back to a 6-oclock hold and be shooting high.  But like any change I finally adjusted to it.  Some older sights may not have the vertical adjustment required to change from a 6-oclock hold to a sub-6 hold.

About how to measure 10 meters.

ISSF Rule 6.3.8.2
Shooting distances must be measured from the firing line to the target face. ...

ISSF rule 6.3.8.5
... No part of the shooter's body may contact the floor or ground ahead of the edge of the firing line nearest to the shooter.

So it is the FEET that must be behind the firing line, not the gun.

Notice in this link where the feet of the 2 shooters are.  Just behind the white firing line.  Their arm and pistol are beyond the white line.
http://www.pilkguns.com/2005/munich/img_0799.htm
In this pix the firing line is the vertical face of the wooden counter.  You can see that all the competitors have their feet right up against the counter, and their arm and pistol are projecting over the counter.
http://www.pilk-uns.com/picsW/be12wap/img_3796.htm

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 10:34:55 PM »
Great stuff David....

Thanks for sharing
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline TAJ45

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 01:21:14 PM »
I had missed this but it is excellent information...........usually not easily found.  It really cross threads their heads when you tell them not to look at the target once you get sight picture......

Shooting irons is a challenge and the sub six hold can mess with your head at first, but as has been said, precision pistol shooting is 60% mental and the rest is in your head......!

I have not tried the knobloch diopter (right terminology?) but it would seem to be worth a try as I've gone to the "Red Side" with a dot since I've rekindled my commitment to BE shooting.  Takes a lot of worry out of sight alignment and focusing on the front sight, which had always been a personal bugaboo.  

Now that I have an Izzy 46M in the wings, I'd best get my "irons" head back on.  Hoo boy, the fun starts again.  I know I'm going to enjoy being able to shoot indoors and nearly noiseless to boot.  Then trying to become consistent enough to decide which pellets are the best accuracy for the $$.

Any suggestions on pills for the 46M as well as a source that doesn't rape the wallet?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.  Hit the target!  All else is twaddle.

\"Speed is fine but accuracy is final.\"  Wyatt Earp, 1888.

Offline ac12basis

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 03:03:20 PM »
@TAJ45
I have 2 sets of pellets.

#1 - My "match" pellets are Vogel Sport (from Pilkingtons).  They are not really "match grade" they are the less expensive "training" pellets.  But for me they do just as well.  I've even shot in a few matches with them.  I do not shoot good enough to justify the additional cost of match grade pellets.

#2 - My casual/plinking pellets are the inexpensive Crossman and Daisy wadcutters from WalMart or some place online like Pyramid.  For my plinking at 10m they go where I aim, and that is good enough for me.  I have not really checked them out for accuracy on a 10m AR target, but I have a feeling they will do OK.  Since I am plinking, these rifles are not scoped, so I cannot really test the accuracy of the pellets.

I used to shoot against someone who used Daisy Max Speed in a Beeman P3, and 90% of the time he beat me.  I was shooting the Vogel Sport in a Walther match pistol.  So don't write off the less expensive pellets until you test them.  You might be pleasantly surprised.

When you order pellets, you need to order in enough bulk that makes the shipping cost worth while.

If you are not shooting regulation 10m AP, why not put a red-dot on the IZH?
These middle-age eyes would just love to use a red-dot, but they are not match legal.  So I shoot iron sights on my Walther cuz that is how I will shoot matches, IF and when I do.