Author Topic: IZH-46M  (Read 9853 times)

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
IZH-46M
« on: March 09, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
Welp after alot of research and a little blind wandering I decided to spend all of my hard earned airgun money on a pistol, a 10Meter match pistol to be exact.  I was concerned at first when I saw the price tag of the Steyr's, the Morini's, all of the great air pistols and thought to myself,"Man, that sure is an awful lot of money for a sport that I'm not sure I'll even like".  So research continued and a few guns kept coming up time after time.  For the price I was will to spend I was somewhere between the $400-$500 Tau7 CO2 guns, on down to the Daisy M717 ($100+/- or less used).  In between those you have a couple others, the Gamo Compact ($225+/-), the IZH-46M($279+), and an occasional Aeron and a few others in the used classifieds between $300-$600.  I have handled the 717 and although these are nice and accurate guns, the ergonomics appear to be completely wrong for match shooting.  The Tau looks nice, but it's CO2 and we all know how well CO2 works in my garage that goes from 110F in the summer to 10F in the winter...I would only get maybe a month of decent shooting time a year.  I wanted a gun that was in the right price range, had decent accuracy, didn't need a whole lot of add on accessories, and I wanted to be able to shoot it...all the time, without worrying about the weather, or my neighbors.  I read alot about the Gamo Compact, but it didn't get the best reviews, and for the price it was easy enough to upgrade to something much better for a couple more bucks.  I finally decided on the IZH-46M "Izzy".  Most of the reviews I have read on this gun say it is a great gun at a great price, and it is a good entry level gun, but good enough to keep you going for good year before you need something better for competition.....not that I'll compete anytime soon, but I like to pretend....bear with me:)

One morning last week while on a break at work I hopped on the computer and zipped over to Straight Shooters.com.  They had the Izzy at a good price, $279, which is less than most places online....prices just went up on this gun, mostly over $300 now.  Always heard good things about the guys at Straight Shooters, so I pressed the order button.  About a week later brown Santa was at the door with my package.  Great double boxed packaging, everything in great condition, Thank You Straight Shooters!!!!

I openned the box, and inside was a very nice, all metal and wood gun, weighing in at about 2 1/2 pounds.  The gun comes with a complete reseal kit as well as a pull through barrel cleaning rod....think it's brass, but will check before I run it all around the crown of my new gun.  Also came with a drift punch, a multi-use tools and a set of sight blades(2 fronts, one back, plus the set on the gun......with the rear sight blades being flipable you get 12 different possible sight pictures...pretty nice feature to include in the box).  So I grabbed the gun to see how it feels and...Yikes, these grips feel like junk!!!  These are possibley the worsed grips I've ever felt out of the box, but I think that the makers intend for you to cut them to fit your shooting hand.....so before one shot was fired I was off to the garage to get my hands on the Dremel.....15 minutes later I had a grip I could hold.....I'll do a little more later.  Really not a bad grip once I cut some reliefs for my fingers and just got rid of a little wood here and there. I'll finish them off with some stippling and some oil finish rub.  Now I have a gun that feels good!!!!!!!!!

Well, I don't have a good clear 10 meters in my garage, so I printed out some 5meter targets and set them up on my trap.  This gun is a single stroke pneumatic, one pump, no spring, just one pump and shoot.  Haven't chronied it yet, but the claimed 400+ fps seems about right....this is a match gun, we're not huntin' wabbits with it, we just need to poke a hole in a piece of paper at 10 meters....for this the fps is more than acceptable.  So how's it shoot?  Well the single stroke aspect of the whole thing is actually pretty nicely well thought out.  You pull the huge arm down from the bottom, that opens the breach and cocks the gun, then you close the big arm and that pressurizes the air tank.  Then you can load your pellet right into the open end of the barrel, and snap the breach closed....there is no safety on a gun like this...make sure your fingers are WELL CLEAR OF THE TRIGGER WHEN YOU CLOSE THE BREACH!!!!!  If not then th gun will fire in whatever direction you have it pointed....like my newly dented garage door:)  The trigger on this thing claims 2lbs from th factory, and you can lighten it up to just about nil!!!  I love the GTX triggers and Richs trigger inserts, and all that is cool about my springers and CO2's etc.....you wouldn't want this trigger on your hunting rig, but MAN this thing is nice!!!....sorry guys, like apples and oranges.  2 stage, 5 way adjustable, tuneable down to "look at it crosseyed from across the room and it fires" light.  I had to detune it quite a bit after I shot the garage door cuz I was breathin' hard:)

I set out my targets and started to shoot.  I was doing 10 shot groups with Crosman wadcutters....I know I should be shootin' Vogels or at least RWS R10's, but after $300 on the gun all I can afford is Bud Lite whilst driving my Ferarri.  Once I had it sighted in I was shooting quarter sized 10 shot groups, freehand, standing.  I am not a pistol expert by any means, and this is open blade sights...purdy good shootin'!  After my 10 group I had those down to about a nickle sized 10 shot group.  All in all I think I've shot this gun more in the last day and a half than I have shot any of my other guns in the last month or two, I am hoooked!!!  Was it worth $300?  Yes, definately, and I think with a better grip I will be shooting this gun for quite some time, unless I get rich and buy me a Steyr or somethin'!  Steve Corcoran at http://www.woodsandwateroutdoors.com makes some really nice grips for this gun, and once I have the money together I'll have him make me one, that will make the package complete.

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: IZH-46M
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 10:57:58 AM »
And thats why you do not need a Springer, Dano.. U do not have the room to release the tiger in that Shadow 1000 either... hehe

Sure glad you are happy with your new toy...:) It seems you are more of a pricision hand gun man and not a long rifle man... hehe

So turn over all those long rifles to me and spend all your time playing with that new toy. After all they are just gonna sit there and get rusty and dusty... hehe

Congratuations Dano.

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline nyairman

• http://www.totallygraphic.org
RE: IZH-46M
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 11:58:21 AM »
Congrates and good luck with that new pistol Dan. Good review too as I am thinking of grabbin a pistol myself. Keep us posted on your progress with it. Maybe you can post a pic of it too.

Greg
Do not ever forget 9-11-01

Offline DanoInTx

Some 46M pics
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 03:51:24 AM »
Here's my new baby

Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline nyairman

• http://www.totallygraphic.org
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 06:19:20 AM »
NICE!!! I see what you mean bout them grips. They look pretty big to me. Good luck with that pistol.

Greg
Do not ever forget 9-11-01

Offline DanoInTx

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 06:57:23 AM »
nyairman - 3/10/2007  1:19 PM

NICE!!! I see what you mean bout them grips. They look pretty big to me. Good luck with that pistol.

Well they aren't really big, I mean they look huge, but that is a match style grip.  Actually these are just cut wrong.  I couldn't get my hand into it at all when I first unboxed it.  After adjusting the palm shelf to my hand size they still didn't fit right.  There is very little palm swell, and no finger reliefs....hard to explain, but a good grip just fits...and I mean it fits to the point where you don't even have to hold the gun almost.  As I said, I was told that this grip is made to be cut, so that's what I did....but it's still not a very good grip.  Steve Corcoran makes a beautiful grip for this gun, so I will have him make me one....just need more airgun money:)

Dan
Dan

\"repeat this mantra:

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 06:54:14 AM »
Dano has got a double (o) Dan gun. 8)  Nice reveiw on the pistol also bud and it look's like some piece of work.I was looking at them awhile back but realized that it wouldn't apply to my hunting way's. :0 It sure would look cool sitting in my gun cabinet with a special light just for it. :) Again, that's no place for fine pistol. :0 Congrat's guy on your new baby and keep us posted on the grip's and it's performence. Admiring from a far, Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline randy_68

• http://
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 08:18:30 AM »
I agree. It's a nice pistol and that trigger is awesome. I have the  IZH46 which has the shorter tube and is a little slower. Mine chronied at 410 with Gamo wadcutters. It's definately more accurate than I can shoot it. Good luck with yours

Randy_68
Guns I\'ve owned--Winchester 800x .177, Winchester 422 .177 ,  R9 Goldfinger .22, (2)-Gamo Black Shadow .22, (2) Shadow 1000, (2)- Discovery .22, Sumatra 2500 carbine .22, .25 and rifle .22, Bam B51 .22, AirArms S400 xfac .22, S410 .22 older bolt, S400 fac carbine walnut .22, S410 xfac .22 side lever..Marauder .22, Bam B30-1 .22, Bam B26-2 .22 and .177, Talon SS .22 and who knows whats next

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 02:40:06 AM »
Nice pistol Dano. I just got one of those also and had to go to town on the grips. The grips feel real good now. I even had to modify the shelf. The trigger is the highlight of the pistol for me as I was also surprised the first time I breathed on it. I chronied mine at 470's with R-10's. It also shoots very, very good with round balls of all things and they are real easy to load. Nice review and I like your display stand. Gotta try and make me one. I did get mine foe hunting but have yet to see a mouse anywhere around here, the cats get them all. Might even work on sparrows but have not tried yet. Good luck with you new toy.